• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Release Your Pokemon?

MrMeowPuss

Reaction score
If you where a Pokemon trainer and you ended up in a situation like Ash often is with his Pokemon (Lapras, Butterfree, Pidgeot etc.), would you release your Pokemon just to make it happy or keep it with you since you need it/don't want to lose it?

I'd let them go if they wanted. I wouldn't even catch Pokemon, since you have to beat them lifeless and kidnap them from their family and friends, and then you expect them to be loyal to you.

No, I would not release a perfectly good Pokemon. I only release the ones the waste space in the P.C.

Its a tough decision to make, after some time we become attached to all our Pokemon.

I would make the decision to let them go, to either help out other Pokemon (like Jessie and James did with Arbok and Weezing) or for the name of love. (In my mind, as a trainer, we have to make sure the Pokemon is happy first)

I'd let them go if they wanted. I wouldn't even catch Pokemon, since you have to beat them lifeless and kidnap them from their family and friends, and then you expect them to be loyal to you.

Not always, a lot of the Pokemon Ash has caught he didn't even battle! The only fire type he really had to try catch was Cyndaquil since all the others happily went with him.

I would probably release my Pokemon but if it was a Pokemon I started my journey with or one I tried really hard to find then it would be really hard to let them go.

I wouldn't have to. I'd be such a good trainer they wouldn't want to go away. Seriously though, Pokémon like battling and showing off their skills, as it helps them get better at those two things! If you'd be a really good trainer, the Pokémon would just want to stay, battling at your side. Ash is nooby though, his legendary-defeating Pikachu, who has been with him through 5 regions and has done hundreds of battles, lost to a lvl 5 Snivy starter... and I rarely see any remotely useful strategies, its mostly "this is not very effective, but if we push hard enough it'll work!" or "AIM FOR THE HORN!".

Yeahhh, no matter how much I loved them, or how great a battler they were, etc, etc. I couldn't stand between my pokemon and their happiness.

I probably would. Keeping them, even when they'd be happier freed, would be very selfish. Being a good trainer is always keeping your Pokémon's best interests in mind, even if that means letting them go.

Let's see, If my Pokemon wants to go back to Its family, then I'd probably release him/her. But for the most part, I'll probably never release my Pokmeon unless I have a good reason to.

I'd release them.

It's incredibly selfish to keep a Pokemon just because it's a good battler when it wants to leave.

If my Pokemon truly wanted to go and leave, then I would allow it to, but I'd tell it to never forget me and to send a postcard. ^^' With a lot of tears and the miserable knowledge that I'd never get the card.

I have very bad separation issues. D8; I'm hesitant to admit, but if I had a Pokemon I was attached to who wanted to leave, I'd cry and hug the Pokemon and guilt-trip them into staying with me.

I have no idea how I'd react. I mean, in the case of Lapras, I probably would've 'cause it wasn't a real integrated member of his battling team and he didn't really need it any more for travelling, but Charizard... Charizard was his powerhouse, the one he could count on (once it started to obey him, that is), I'd have had a hard time releasing something so vital to some battles.

I'd like to think I would, for the Pokémon's sake, but I don't know. I can be quite selfish.

Well, happiness comes first, but Chim Chim, no, never Chim Chim. We're too attached to leave each other, game-wise,(my Infernape)

I have very bad separation issues. D8; I'm hesitant to admit, but if I had a Pokemon I was attached to who wanted to leave, I'd cry and hug the Pokemon and guilt-trip them into staying with me.
This. A hundred thousand times this.

Granted, if the Pokemon that wanted to be released never really had a bond with me, it be a lot easier to let the little guy go but if it were someone I outright loved wholeheartedly....

Okay sure, I'd take a Golett back to the Dragonspiral Tower. Yeah, I'd let it out of its ball and tell it that it's free to go. But then I'd also burst into tears and beg for another chance to make things better between us because well, the little fella may not have bonded with me, but I'd love it with all my heart. Maybe if luck was on my side, it'd rethink everything and come back home with me. (Yes, I'm a jerk like that; I have a bit of trouble letting go.)

I'd probably release it, but consequently sob afterwards xD If it was my starter, there would be no way that mon is leaving though.

If you truly love someone, you will have to have the courage to let them go.

This applies to all, even Pokemon. So yeah, if my pokemon will really be happy if I would release them, I'd be more than happy to do so :)

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom