• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you SERIOUSLY live in the pokéverse if you could?

The relationship between pokémon and humans, above all, rewards kindness torwards living things. For humanity, it's a world built on that.
Even if it's dangerous, it makes bonding and heartful relationships important and literally empowering.
Now, it does not mean cruel people do not have power, people do terrible things, people can capture and abuse pokemon, after all. But to which extent? The means to be succesful with that are very convoluted, very few actually could get far away with it.
People being caring would literally be able to stop such things. People would help each other.
There's the case of pokemon threats, natural threats, supernatural threats. But again, pokemon also protect humans. If a rampaging swarm of beedrill appears, Fire types are very popular.

So I'd absolutely live somewhere in where kindness can be an strength, which is what I think part of the series' vision really was all about.

Is this very idealistic? Yes, very much, but I'm a little tired of grimdark, so I don't care.

To be fair, the kind of cruelty meted out by humans on animals in the past would be impractical if turned on pokémon. At the least casual cruelty would be discouraged simply because when a pokémon lashes out it's a more serious affair than a dog bite. The same would go for pokémon abuse in the modern pokémon world - again, to use the dog analogy, a traumatised dog is bad enough, a traumatised fully-evolved pokémon potentially very dangerous

In a world where cruel to the wild beings does not do yourself any own goods, but being nice to them will become a crucial advantage for survival, does there exist any motivation to be cruel?

This is not about idealism, but merely the rule of survival of the fittest, where the Pokemon World is just such world where kindness will encourage one's survival, hence there is no or very little ground to fertilize evilness.

In a world where cruel to the wild beings does not do yourself any own goods, but being nice to them will become a crucial advantage for survival, does there exist any motivation to be cruel?

This is not about idealism, but merely the rule of survival of the fittest, where the Pokemon World is just such world where kindness will encourage one's survival, hence there is no or very little ground to fertilize evilness.
But yet in every single region there’s evildoers!

But yet in every single region there’s evildoers!
Those are exceptions, not the norm.

Edit: Statistical logic: Despite the majority, there always exist the minority. Hence expecting the fact that there always exist exception is the norm.

No, thank you. I wouldn't want to be in a world where a kid could potentially gain control of a Legendary creature capable of bending the very fabric of matter in a whim. What if said kid was a sadistic bully or had some other psychological issues, a la "It's a Good Life"? Who would be able to oppose him/her without a Legendary creature of its own?

It's fine to dream about being there and live in a magical utopia, but not all utopias are as shiny as they appear. I'd prefer to stay here in this cold and boring world, or at most to become a dimension-travelling Pokémon Mystery Dungeon shapeshifting human.

[QUOTE="Cresselia92, post: 6225417, member: 64466”]\
It's fine to dream about being there and live in a magical utopia, but not all utopias are as shiny as they appear.[/QUOTE]
Who said anything about the Pokeverse being a Utopia in the first place? If a single Trainer catches a Pokemon they could mess with the balance of the world, and not to mention the evil teams...

Also, that part reminded me of the Giver, a book set in what appears to be a Utopia but is actually a Dystopia. give it a read.

I mean, people in the Pokemon world seem pretty happy. Idk how the Pokemon world really works--there's tons of unanswered questions--but if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

I would actually!! Surprisingly enough. I've been through several potentially life scarring experiences (kitchen fire, walking in the freezing cold with very thin socks, almost drowning multiple times, etc etc) and I'm still feeling fine about that. I'm more likely to be scarred by what people say about things, i have a lot of breakdowns because of this human society we are forced into, and the people there are quite content, so i don't think i would have much of a problem solely existing there.

Absolutely! Even if there are some cons to the real world, I believe the pros far outweigh them

I think that with a lot of fictional worlds I would not be interested as there is generally a special group with abilities that has all the fun. The Pokemon world in contrast, has plenty of pokemon for everyone. I think I could maybe start having a part time job as a gym trainer in the region I would live in currently. Once I get experienced enough I could start my journey to the top as a young adult. Afterwards I might be able to get a more steady job or become a prominent trainer such as an elite four or gym leader Overall, despite the dangers, this world seems nice! I mean if they are developing extremely effective medicines for silly little creatures, imagine what they have for people! So yeah. Definitely.

Probably. I'm good at animal handling/animal husbandry and I'm a lot more outdoorsy and adventurous than people usually assume. I'd do great in a world where being tasked with raising or breeding creatures is rewarded, especially if you don't need to focus on production to the same degree you need to do in this world and also that these creatures have more of a degree of intellegence.

The Pokemon world also seems to be fairly advanced while still working with nature, as we've seen in the games there seems to be generally less pollution and better public transportation, and it seems like more people are free to be explorers or artists. While there are exceptions, it's not as bad as most places in our world are. Sure you might risk being attacked by a wild Pokemon, but you're not at as big of a risk of being hit by a car for example like you are in our world.

Plus almost every person in the world has some kind of Pokemon companion and because of the technology of the world these can be carried with you and there's no risk of loosing them if you run out of space. It seems like this situation would be good for safety and genuinely great for a person's mental health.

Only if the same laws of physics from the Pokemon world apply and it doesn't take from real world physics at all. In other words, we are able to take attacks like we're superhuman and be perfectly fine after a good bit. Otherwise I'll like to stay away.

Yes, absolutely, without hesitation, and I ain't coming back.

I feel like the actual dangers of the Pokémon world often get blown out of proportion, so to speak. Because yes, there are fire-breathing and electrically-charged monsters everywhere you look... but their society has grown around these creatures, and incorporates them into their daily lives without any issue. The danger of Pokémon comes from wandering out into the wilderness without anything to protect yourself, which would obviously be just as unsafe here in the real world with ordinary wild animals, and all it would take is some common sense to avoid doing that. Legendaries, evil teams, and near-apocalyptic events probably aren't going to pose a threat to you on the daily like it may seem, either.

Their world is largely the same as ours; except in their world, people are encouraged to do whatever they want with their lives, to go on long journeys and discover new things everyday, to have compassion and help others around you. People protect Pokémon, Pokémon protect people. It's not a perfect utopia, by any means — there's still things like sickness, and cruelty, and hardship, and tragedy — but it's a world that rewards the act of having a good heart. I don't think it's terribly childish to believe that it would just be better, at the very least, than the one we currently live in.

I'd most likely stay in the real universe. Any reality with supernatural stuff just opens up to some very disturbing, nightmare inducing stuff... As if reality isn't already disturbing enough. Don't need supernatural stuff added on top of that!

Pokemon, as presented in the games and anime seems pleasant, but then you look into the Pokedex entries and the disturbing reality settles in... Like if you run into a Cofagrigus, they could kill you and turn you into a mummy. :eek: No thank you!! No thank you at all!! I'll stay in the real world where none of that supernatural nightmare-inducing stuff exists.

Please note: The thread is from 11 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom