• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Want Old Games on eShop?

Do you want the old Pokemon games on eShop?

• Total voters
Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot lately. Nintendo's been releasing a lot of games, new and old, on the eShops for both 3DS and Wii U. That being the case, if Nintendo ever decided to put old games on the eShop, such as Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald, etc., would you buy them? My old GameBoy Color cartridges are losing their battery power, so having the old games on the eShop and buying them would be a good way to preserve your old pokemon forever instead of worrying about when the internal battery eventually dies.

Edit: Crap, I misspelled would as "Woiuld" in the title. Can someone fix that please? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
By god yes.

I know there's complications with multiplayer activity, and Pokemon who evolve by trade in particular, but I'd still buy them for single player nostalgia. I still like the classic/GameBoy-Color era, as dated as they've become.

I'd love to see the older games on the eShop, but when you think about it, it's really not practical since multiplayer battling and trading is such an integral part of the main series. If they were to be released, there would be no way to complete the Pokedex. Would it be possible to introduce multiplayer play to the Virtual Console?

It would be fun for nostalgia but I really don't see it happening. Some of the factors:

- Incompatibility of Gens 1 and 2 with later/current generations

- The only games that can't be played on current hardware are Gen 3's FRLG. Gen IV is still playable (minus online functionality) and we have ORAS.

- Exactly how would the VC integrate local multiplayer functionality into the title? Most VC titles are single player experiences only, but battling/trading is one of the key draws to the Pokemon franchise.

- I could see Pokemon Bank having an option to transfer Pokemon from your VC files, HOWEVER remember that VC also supports keeping a save state ("restore point") of the game so they'd need a way to prevent using that to easily clone all your Pokemon

I certainly wouldn't mind it, even if it was just a single player experience. Given how they're doing remakes for everything nowadays though, I doubt it's likely, but it's an interesting idea nevertheless. I'd probably actually buy things off the eShop if those went on there. xD

I'm not so sure about MY personal opinion, since it's so split: On one hand, I think it would be super cool and I'd love to play the older games just to experience the original games (R/B/Y/G/S in my case: I have Emerald) and see what everyone loves about them, but on the other hand, I'm not sure I'd play them enough to actually enjoy them, just like Leafgreen and Emerald: Sure, they were fun to play, but out of all the games I own they have the least amount of time on them, and I'd hate to get Red/Blue/Gold or Silver then leave them to rot because I just don't find them enjoyable as Gen 4-6 (my favorites). I especially think it would happen because not is Gen 1 my least favorite region (Gen 2 is okay, it ranks higher then Gen 3), but mostly because I'm just to used to Gen 6 and all it's new changes now and I think it'd be hard to revisit the older games and actually enjoy them with how different it all is...My personal opinion, though. :) I'm not sure, but for just a general opinion? Yes, I'd love to see the old games on the Eshop and have them widely available to everyone . ^o^

It is finally happening - I can't believe it. This is a great way to celebrate the 20th anniversary!! I'm so happy!

Last edited:
Seriously?! BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Talk about hilarious in hindsight! If these come out, I'm buying them! (Especially Yellow, even though I already have a physical copy)

I wonder if the wireless trading compatibility will only be between these 3 titles, or all other main titles including Bank.

Either way, I'm so hype for this. Yellow in particular, since it was the first game I played to completion, but I'll buy all of them ^____^

Lol, so does this mean Kanto is officially Gen 6 now?

I definitely think that releasing the original RBY on eShop was a good way of celebrating the 20th anniversary, especially since it doesn't seem so likely now that a new game will be released in time.

At freaking last, I can finally FINALLY break down and buy a copy of Yellow, as I never purchased it back in the day. (It never came down in price at all so Prime and I skipped it.)
I wonder if the wireless trading compatibility will only be between these 3 titles, or all other main titles including Bank.
I'd like to know that as well. I don't want to claim yet another sweet little Bulbasaur and end up watching the poor little thing sit on a VC game and rot. I'm still incredibly stung about losing my Bruticus because of the lack of connectivity between Johto and Hoenn and I don't want that happening again.

But other than that, I'm hype! :X3:

I'd love to see the older games on the eShop, but when you think about it, it's really not practical since multiplayer battling and trading is such an integral part of the main series. If they were to be released, there would be no way to complete the Pokedex. Would it be possible to introduce multiplayer play to the Virtual Console?

Well, there's a nice taste of my foot in my mouth. XD

It's been confirmed there's wireless compatability for trading between the VC releases, but I'm hoping there's a Bank compatability as well.

I don't like leaving Pokemon behind in previous Gens, it'd be great to fetch them from these to the modern games.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom