• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Want Old Games on eShop?

Do you want the old Pokemon games on eShop?

• Total voters
First, I can say a new Pokemon game HAS been announced today: actually three of them!!!

I have my Gameboy Color and Advance, and my Blue Cartrige, so not excited about that...

But Yellow... I have never played this awesome game...

I would kinda be excited even if only 151 Pokemon are available in the game. All the improvements I want are running shoes (I´m too used to that) and a Basic Battle Tower/or equivalent.

I am already excited about the potential team: Pikachu, Charizard, Venusaur, Gengar, Alakazam and Aerodactyl maybe.

I just want somewhere to use this team, some post game place other than the Pokemon League. Even npc trainer rematches could be enough.

However it sounds like a direct port, with no changes/improvements... Hope not, though.

Edit:Serebii.net says wireless BATTLING is supported as well, not only trading!!!! How cool is this???

I still hope for an in- game battle tower.

Last edited:
YES! I KNEW IT!!!!

This is the perfect way to celebrate the 20th anniversary. And I'm so glad these are coming and not some unnecessary re-remake. I'm ecstatic as I have the biggest grin on my face that I can remember. My childhood has come back. I still have the original copies, but knowing that I won't have to worry about corrupted saves or losing them again is just awesome! Thank you Nintendo! Thank you! I'll be getting all 3 as soon as they're available.

And I don't care if it's just the nostalgia, I'm going to enjoy these as if I was 6 years old again.

I didnt know battling was included either, interesting.

I plan to buy all three. Been such a long while since I played these games and I dont even know if my old copies work anymore, now it doesnt matter. Ive wanted to play them again, now I can without worrying about the internal battery.

A question... Is the Virtual console app free or how does that work?

Last edited:
You buy and download the games from the eShop. No other app is required, and Virtual Console titles are usually pretty cheap.
So the VC is not like an Emulator that has to be downloaded? This is awesome, thank you!

Bank compatiability? Extra features? Lol.

It's a Virtual Console port. Getting Link Cable emulation is already above and beyond what the VC normally offers. Nice little nostalgia treat for the start of the 20th anniversary, though. FR/LG would've been better if it were possible to make GBA games available in the eShop, because the Gen I games... meh. They've aged terribly. Getting Crystal at some point next year would be nice, though.

It's been confirmed there's wireless compatability for trading between the VC releases, but I'm hoping there's a Bank compatability as well.

I don't like leaving Pokemon behind in previous Gens, it'd be great to fetch them from these to the modern games.

Yeah, this would really seal the deal for these games,. I'm not sure if it'd be possible though because of how differently IVs worked before 3rd gen. Unless they retconned that, but I don't think they did.

Edit:Serebii.net says online BATTLING is supported as well, not only trading!!!! How cool is this???

I still hope for an in- game battle tower.

Wait, this has online? Now that is really cool.

Yeah, this would really seal the deal for these games,. I'm not sure if it'd be possible though because of how differently IVs worked before 3rd gen. Unless they retconned that, but I don't think they did.

Wait, this has online? Now that is really cool.
I meant to say wireless trading and battling, not online. Still though, pretty nice!

Last edited:
To quote my response in another thread:

Just waiting on Game Freak to figure out PokeBank compatibility. They've managed to add an entirely new stat from scratch between the Gen I to Gen II transition, its been a decade and a half since then, they can figure out how to assign an IV system ranging from 0 - 15 to one ranging from 0 - 31. For example, based on their original IVs, Pokebank can randomly assign one of the following variables:

0 = 0, 1, 2
1 = 3, 4
2 = 5, 6
4 = 7, 8
5 = 9, 10
6 = 11, 12
7 = 13, 14
8 = 15, 16
9, = 17, 18,
10 =19, 20
11 = 21, 22
12 = 23, 24
13 = 25, 26
14 = 27, 28
15 = 29, 30, 31

Since Gen I has no specified genders, Pokebank can randomly assign gender (or do it the same way Gen II did, but that puts female Pokemon at a statistical disadvantage in terms of stats). Abilities can be randomly assigned or as an incentive, Game Freak can create "Retro" abilities (like Hidden Abilities in DW, but assigned only to Pokemon obtained from these games). EVs should be cleared since there is no EV cap.

I meant to say wireless trading and battling, not online. Still though, pretty nice!

I was about to say, I didn't hear anything about online.

Yeah, wireless was mentioned in the Direct. Thing is, it's kind of a necessity for VC Pokemon games to work, they need some way to maintain the trading and battling because that's part of the core concept. So I'm not terribly surprised at that.

I was about to say, I didn't hear anything about online.

Yeah, wireless was mentioned in the Direct. Thing is, it's kind of a necessity for VC Pokemon games to work, they need some way to maintain the trading and battling because that's part of the core concept. So I'm not terribly surprised at that.

How would that work? With a guy nearby? So you wouldn't be able to battle someone in a different city, correct?

I'm a bit less hyped now, as I don't know any Pokemon fans where I live at.

Still though, give me a Battle Tower and running shoes, and I'll be satisfied with this release xD

How would that work? With a guy nearby? So you wouldn't be able to battle someone in a different city, correct?

I'm a bit less hyped now, as I don't know any Pokemon fans where I live at.

They should actually clarify that a bit. Like, do you need two different 3DSes to trade or can you trade with yourself on the same 3DS? That's something we need to know.

They should actually clarify that a bit. Like, do you need two different 3DSes to trade or can you trade with yourself on the same 3DS? That's something we need to know.
Why would you expect to be able to trade with yourself? You can't even do that with Gen VI games--transferring through PokeBank is not self-trading, and unless you can manage to turn on both games at once in a single 3DS...

---

Now of course, I'm wondering if Nintendo will rerelease Pokemon Stadium.

Why would you expect to be able to trade with yourself? You can't even do that with Gen VI games--transferring through PokeBank is not self-trading, and unless you can manage to turn on both games at once in a single 3DS...

That's exactly what I'm wondering. What if you own two versions on the same 3DS, how would they handle that? Would there be some way to trade between them both or would you only be able to trade between games on separate systems?

I am saying no to this. I am not going to play games that are in black and white with a horrid graphics and design. Red, Blue and Yellow didn't need to come back. Firered and Leafgreen were made for a reason. Same applies to Gold, Silver and Crystal. We don't need to see them again because we have HGSS. Putting old games on eshop is a bad idea and I want no part in it. I am not a fan of games that you only get online and not in stores.

That's exactly what I'm wondering. What if you own two versions on the same 3DS, how would they handle that? Would there be some way to trade between them both or would you only be able to trade between games on separate systems?
Again, why would you expect them to handle it when they didn't bother for Gen VI? You can literally hold all Gen VI games and they don't let you trade with each other (except indirectly through Pokemon Bank).

Perhaps they'll make a separate compartment for PokeBank if they decide to go that route, but there's no reason to think they'd go out of their way to add a feature that doesn't exist for Gen VI games.

Maybe by the time we get GSC DLC, we'll get WiFi as well since Crystal used a rudimentary form for their Battle Tower.

Maybe by the time we get GSC DLC, we'll get WiFi as well since Crystal used a rudimentary form for their Battle Tower.
Not just for that, but for trading, battles and the PCC (a prototype of the GTS), which was about as complete as the modern version. I certainly hope that a re-released Crystal emulates these features not just for Japanese players but everyone else, rather than downgrading the Japanese version to its stateside counterpart.

Alexander said:
Putting old games on eshop is a bad idea and I want no part in it.
It's a good thing that no one asked for your permission. This has no effect on you.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom