• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you want your ship to become canon?

Likeitornot.

realisation
Retired Staff
Reaction score
Canon; it's a question brought up in every shipper's mind, one stage or another. How would I feel if my ship becomes canon? For some, it could be considered the epitome of bliss, shipping wise. However, does everyone feel the same way; is canon the ultimate goal, or better yet, is it a goal for some shippers at all?

For me, it isn't and in fact, I would prefer them not to become canon at all. I know a few people who feel the same as me, and my friend once pointed out a trend in the types of shippers who usually want their shippings to be canon, and those who don't. I'm here to test that, and maybe just to ask out of vain curiosity.

Shipping, bear in mind, is a personal leisure, so my choice and reasons are personally to do with what I ship, and not shipping in general. Still, why do I not want my shippings to become canon? Well, firstly, I am a notorious multishipper who just cannot prioritise her shippings, so it wouldn't be ideal for me. Secondly, some of my shippings really should not become canon because of how taboo they are/how much of a bad message they'd send out to the viewer/they'd be impossible to become canon and I would not like them to become canon for those reasons. Thirdly, what exactly does one define to be canon, to what extent? It really depends on the eye of the beholder, in my opinion. Still, no definition suits to my tastes, especially not in Pokemon. Finally, some of the couples I ship I just could not see working out as a canon couple, if I'm being honest.

So the floor is now yours- Would you like your shipping to become canon or not? Why/why not? Be sure to keep your reasons to your own ships, and personal tastes.

Well, I ship many ships:

-Poke, Contest, Penguin, Luck, Handyman, Quest, Lagomorph, Vine, Neko and GeekChic: Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Having a boyfriend/girlfriend would develop the character in multiple ways, and the buildup they got in the series would not have been useless.

-Sommelier, Rocket: No. Their interactions would change from "funny" to "too weird". However, I want them to hook up in the last episode and maybe have a family with kids in the future.

PerfectWorld shipping and Rocket shipping are canon already as far as I'm concerned.

To be completely honest, I don't think I'd want any of my ships to be made canon. As fun as it is to ship characters, I personally don't think romance is what Pokémon is all about. Although I'd like to think it would be cool to see something like Contest or Penguin Shipping made official, I have to admit that it probably would have felt pretty out-of-place in the show.

That's one of the things I like about Pokémon though, they sprinkle little possible hints here and there to keep it interesting, yet they almost never give it any real substance, and that has given the anime a pretty nice dynamic. Once a ship gets made canon, that would become part of the story, and a confirmed relationship being part of the story arc just seems like it would come across as rather awkward. Or perhaps it could get pulled off, who am I to say? The only way I could see a canon ship working out fluently is if the relationship was confirmed in the last appearance of the characters in question. For instance, if WishfulShipping had been confirmed in Cilan and Iris' last appearance in Best Wishes. That way the relationship could be established yet it wouldn't persist as a recurring feature on the show.

Anyhow, I personally think that shipping is probably best left to the speculators and fanfiction writers.

Last edited:
I think the only ships I'd want canon are RocketShipping and ContestShipping. I have plenty of ships I love more than those two, but shipping in Pokemon is more fun when it's not canon. The only reason I'd want RocketShipping and ContestShipping to be canon is because it already practically IS, so may as well make it official. xD

I think the appeal of Shipping is the desire. You really want it to happen so you look for every possible hint, no matter how insignificant it might be. But when the Ship actually becomes official then it's just that; official. You're job is done & you now have nothing else to look forward to. The chase is more fun than the catch, in other words. And I say that as a big Shipper of many pairings. Shipping, at least I think anyway, is all about what the Shipper in question wants & believes. That's the fun of it. By nothing being confirmed everyone is free to think what they want & won't be discouraged by canon material.

Advanceshipping

Ash and May are so awesome together and make a good team. Ash and May constantly supported each other and have the best chemistry than any other girl that was with Ash.

What I don't want is Contest. I think it is lame how people act like Contestshipping is canon because if you look at the facts that Advance had you could say the same thing too. Also Drew is such a lame character in my opinion.

Yes and no. Characters that don't really show up anymore I would be okay with. Main ones like ash pairings would be to weird at this point.

For me, it depends on the characters. Like Maya Oak said, characters that aren't in the show anymore would be awesome to me, like May and Drew. Supporting characters would be cool, but only at the end of the series, like Jessie and James. Ash shippings though, I wouldn't care to see in any significant amount (unless there was some kind of epilogue).

Satoshi is off-limits to anyone bar Pikachu.
I wouldn't want any ship involving a main character to become canon during the course of the anime because I don't wanna watch that rubbish unfold in Pokemon. The same applies to any ship involving children we assume to be under 16 (because paedophilia...)

However, I'm a shameless Rocketshipper and I would love to see that get canonised at the very end, even if it's not very explicit!

The same applies to any ship involving children we assume to be under 16 (because paedophilia...)!

Wait, what? You do realize teenagers date in real life, right? Likewise its only pedophilia if its someone over the age of 18 with a child.

Two teenagers dating is perfectly fine, and has always been. Some people go on "dates" as early as 13 years old.

Wait, what? You do realize teenagers date in real life, right? Likewise its only pedophilia if its someone over the age of 18 with a child.

Two teenagers dating is perfectly fine, and has always been. Some people go on "dates" as early as 13 years old.
Yeah yeah yeah blah blah blah, only problem is that these characters are not actually real. Everyone involved in their creation is an adult and sadly there are more than enough adults bloody well shipping them. As a rule of thumb, I find that pretty creepy. (Maybe that's because in the UK the US concept of dating doesn't seem to exist and plenty of people just end up having s e x.) This is a thread about our opinions, and that is mine.

As a rule of thumb, I find that pretty creepy.
I think you take the concept of shipping way too seriously.
It literally only means thinking characters would potentially make a cute couple. Now if it was someone shipping and adult and a child, I'd get (and support) your discomfort. But two preteens crushing on each other? So what, that's perfectly natural.

More on topic, yes I would love for Ash and Misty to be a canonical couple, even just at the openly holding hands stage. It would be adorable. But way more than that, I'd prefer to see Ash grow up! Heck he doesn't even come off like a 10 year old anymore. More like a 15 year old.

Oh and Jessie and James of course. <3

Not any Ash ships. As much as I love Pokeshipping and Advanceshipping and all these other Ash ships, it'll just lure in mega chaos to the fandom. I mean, we've seen the OTH fandom with the Brucas/Leyton love triangle.

The love "hexagon" is going to be reaaaal hectic with pokemon.

I would love for Contestshipping to be canon, but she's already involved in a major ship with Ash so, there is going to be some ABC drama shiz going down.

So I'm saying this for the protection of the fandom.

My ships are from the games, which is completly free, as it's up to interpretetion of who your player will fall... I would like if my game otps become canon just in another possible new manga or anime version, but the main characters will need to be aged up, so probably will be a somewhat more mature adaptation? I can't see in any other version, neither the manga, neither the anime my ships happening. Mostly because the main characters doesn't exist on anime or th have a really random role. I don't watch the anime tough, so I don't think a care...

And the manga... is different from the games. The characters interatcions and personalities are not the same. Except maybe soulsilvershipping can happen on poke special, but honestly i doubt that... on manga i ship couples who are explictly together like Winona and Wallace or mostly the main characters, which are more or less canon on that version. I'm not really into crack ships like characters who never met or from different canons, so I don't think any of my couples are impossible at all.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom