• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Watch a More "Adult" Version of the Pokemon Anime?

Legacy

Reader and Writer
Reaction score
So, this topic has probably been discussed in the past, but I was just curious about the topic because a friend of mine who goes to school for graphic design/animation has been throwing around the idea of re-creating the Pokemon anime for a class in school.

So my question to you Pokemon anime lovers is, "Would you watch a more 'adult' version of the anime?"

And I am not talking about just making Ash 17 years old or anything. I'm talking about a total re-creation of the Pokemon concept in anime form.

Basically:

- A new main character in his teens
- Actual back stories and more depth to the characters
- More brutal villains
- Violence, blood, sexual themes, etc. (Rated PG-13)
- Romantic themes interwoven in the plot
- More in-depth plots beyond "I want to be a Pokemon Master!"

Also, what other things would you like to see if Pokemon made a more 'adult' anime akin to Bleach or Inuyasha?

Discuss.

I'd give it a shot initially just to see what it would be like, I don't know if I'd stick with it though.

I think the only reason I stuck with the anime as long as I did is because it always had Ash in it, and thus felt like it was all one big continuity. I just wanted to see if Ash was ever going to win a league and become a Champion.

Part of the reason I want Ash gone is I'd like to finally, "retire" from the series knowing that the part of the show I followed had a conclusion.

In any case I'd give a new show a shot, and see what it'd be like.

- A new main character in his teens
Eh, it'd be interesting
- Actual back stories and more depth to the characters
It'd be nice.
- More brutal villains
Our villains are getting more brutal anyways...
- Violence, blood, sexual themes, etc. (Rated PG-13)
Nah...
- Romantic themes interwoven in the plot
You mean give people more Shipping worthy crap to discuss?

Hahahhahahaha! NO
No thank you...
- More in-depth plots beyond "I want to be a Pokemon Master!"
I'd like a reason for it...

But all in all, I'm still good with the current anime.

I wouldn't mind. I actually would like something a bit more realistic or that takes itself seriously.

But no freaking romance, please. The show is about the interactions of the humans and monsters. I pretty content with that.

Nope. I like the anime as it is. However, I do wish there was a focus on deeper psychology and philosophy of the characters. But anyway, it's fine.

Probably not. Part of the reason why I like the show is that it isn't very serious and has some childish humour. I think I would maybe give it a try, but I don't think I would stick with it for very long.

I'm not sure. Like others have already said, it's the childish part that makes it enjoyable sometimes though I'd very much like for writers take on a more serious plot, detailed characters and their backstories, etc. Nothing too brutal though, just more serious but still with the right amount of humor in some episodes. :>

Absolutely. I've read quite a few dark Pokemon fanfiction and they are quite interesting. A TV version where you can actually see what's going on would be great.

Because I like the anime the way it is now, I think I'd be at least willing to give a more mature version of the show a chance.

The main reason I'd like this is because I think the characters would be more fleshed out and the plots would be more three-dimensional. The writers have improved both these elements immensely over the years with the current anime, but the character depth and storyline are still on basic levels if you ask me. More brutal villains would also be a treat, but I think the current anime did a good enough job with Team Galactic and Hunter J in DP.

I wouldn't mind romantic themes interwoven within the plot, but I wouldn't want it to be taken to a sexual level. Along with violence involving blood, I think these themes would overshadow the show's true focus, which is the Pokémon. The writers did a good job with May and Drew's relationship in AG and BF, but if they took their relationship up a level, I wouldn't have minded (e.g. something more than just hints). If anything more should be done with the violence aspect of the show, it would be the Pokémon being in life threatening predicaments once in a while (not counting the movies).

dont put much blood and sex

the moment ash ages to 13 the show will be adult version due to puberty.

:( now who would like that?

I wouldn't mind an adult one-shot or something. But blood, gore, sex, and romance do not belong in Pokemon. Even if the show was aimed at an older audience, these would likely not show up.

I might give it a chance, as long as it doesn't go "Adult Swim," or anything like that.

Well Blood I can see from moves like Bite and Crunch causing bleeding. But definitely not gore or sex.

But I would watch it, just for a different feel with Pokémon.

Of course I would watch "a more adult version" of Pokémon. Actually that's the reason I'm making my own Pokémon manga cartoon with such themes.

*Cough*PokemonSpecialAnime*Cough* *shot*

I'd watch it, but only if the blood and sexual themes aren't heavily used. I'd rather a more indepth plot to show that it's for more older audience then over use of adult themes.

I'd love it, cos I was always into the games and got into the anime late, i've always considered it crap.

Give me something watchable any day, after all these years, I'd like to see a drop of blood.

I'd watch at least some of it out of curiosity. I think the show would be better if it focused on better plots and character development, and not on the bloody violence. Maybe a tiny bit of blood would be okay, but not gore or sex. I wouldn't mind romance if it wasn't too corny. (Heck, as I've said before, I do wish Ash had a crush on a girl just to see how he would deal with that and his Pokemon training).

*Cough*PokemonSpecialAnime*Cough* *shot*

The manga version of that isn't even adult. And the most risque stuff in the manga would be edited in the anime.

Nour386 said:
the moment ash ages to 13 the show will be adult version due to puberty.

How does a show automatically become adult when a kid becomes a teenager?

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom