• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Watch a More "Adult" Version of the Pokemon Anime?

Nope. I like the anime as it is. However, I do wish there was a focus on deeper psychology and philosophy of the characters. But anyway, it's fine.

This.

If anything, I would prefer to watch a separate continuity of PokeAni that takes the level up in badass - aka like Digimon Tamers did for Digimon Adventure.

It would be interesting. I don't like the romance type thing in it. But it would make an interesting idea.

OH HELL YES I WOULD.

In reality, though, I might not watch it for a long time. Unless it were to do something to wow me, it'd probably just be another anime.

Oh Man! I'd be on that like a tramp on sandwich!!!!!!!

Like a Pokemon version of 'Hollyoaks After Hours', except I wouldn't want to punch every single character.

This has been mentioned before and most people didn't approve of the idea. I don't think it will ever happen, or that it would make any sense to produce something like that for an adult demographic. Let's face it, adults don't need to watch cartoons to experience sex and violence, they can just go out and do it.

can I get a HELL YEA??

I mean it would fit my needs "straight down the middle"

Ash hands are bleeding after he got cut :p

No I like the anime because it's happy, cheerful and relaxing. If I want a better plot I read PokeSpe. I really don't think I'd want an "adult" version of Pokemon, I'm content as it is ^.^

If it would be anything like the fanfic "The Sun Soul by 50Caliberchaos".
Then yeah, i would definitely watch it.

- A new main character in his teens
- Actual back stories and more depth to the characters

Yes.

- More brutal villains
- Violence, blood, sexual themes, etc. (Rated PG-13)

Too over the top for the series.
- Romantic themes interwoven in the plot

Only if it didn't suck the life out of every other aspect of the show as so often happens.
- More in-depth plots beyond "I want to be a Pokemon Master!"

Yes.

Maybe if it we a touch darker but something like Cornova's Poké Wars? No.

- A new main character in his teens

I don't really see what difference this would make, so ok.

- Actual back stories and more depth to the characters

I'm all for better writing.

- More brutal villains

Kinda already exists, but would have to be done in a certain way.

- Violence, blood, sexual themes, etc. (Rated PG-13)

No.

- Romantic themes interwoven in the plot

I don't like shippers as much as the next person, but I am a sucker for love stories. Again, it would have to be done right.

Like what? What else can be done with a character on a pokemon journey? I'd really like an answer to this question.

A more mature show is what I want! But beyond that, I would just like to see a more well-written show. I'd love to see real backstory to characters and see some quality development. Romantic subplots would be nice, but not necessary.

Not sure how violent I'd want the battling to be, though. I like how it is now. And since it's anime, I can see it staying the same even if the show were to be more mature. If anything, I'd like to see a little bit of blood spatter if a pokemon gets hit, but nothing like gallons of blood coming out of the pokemon.

I think it would be fun for the shipping community, but bad for Pokemon's reputation.

Well, if they made Ash older, yes they could start pairing people but things would change and would be different. First of all, people would want some insight on what Ash was doing in between that time and his older self. Plus, Pokemon would no longer be watchable for kids. Which mean American Adults will start to ban and boycott Pokemon off and put it on HBO on cable in the middle of the night or something. I don't want to think of anything else that could happen. I like the way it is.

But if they had to, they probably would keep it in japanese only and sub title.

I for one hope that pokemon by itself will become as big as the DCU so it can have multiple shows and cater to both groups I mean superheroes were originally for kids right? Who's with me!!

I...guess I would. I mean, it depends a lot on specifics. If, in addition to being more mature content-wise and plot-wise, had the player characters of whatever generation it was part of as the main protagonists, I probably would watch.

Still, though, the promise of "ZOMG, MATURITY!" always has me a bit wary; a lot of less informed fans blindly wish for basically "Pokemon: Resolute" (to make a parallel to the GI Joe fandom), without really knowing the ramifications of such a thing. I, for one, would not really care for the addition of really explicit violence or gore or anything like that, but at the same time, I would also like if the show (or rather, a Pokemon show) were to at least take itself seriously. If the violence were about on the level of Pokemon Special, with a degree of "seriousness" on par with your average Young Justice or Transformers Prime episode, I'd be happy.

And as for shipping...I can take or leave it. If it's tastefully done, then yes, but otherwise, no; it's too easy to screw it up and cause massive flame wars. I will say that if this hypothetical series could at least get the girl and guy PCs from the games in the same damn room as each other, I'd be happy enough with that-- I've been spurned by the existing show too many times on that not to want it at least a little.

Like what? What else can be done with a character on a pokemon journey? I'd really like an answer to this question.

You can do much more with just 'I want to be a Pokemon Mastar!' First of all, you could have why. Is it to show off to your friends, is it because people said you couldn't, is it because your relative happens to be the current Master (or a previous one) etc.
Next, there's the fact that they don't even have to go to all the gyms, or even enter the league. They could want to go on a journey in order to explore the world, or they could be searching for something, which could serve as the main plot. There's lots that could be done. In fact, rather than have the villainous team serve as a sub-plot, they could serve as the main plot, having destroyed your town or stolen your Pokemon or something like that.

And yes, I would watch a more adult version. But like others, I'm not for the blood, violence and sexual themes. But I'm all for romance! One that actually goes somewhere.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom