• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would You Watch a More "Adult" Version of the Pokemon Anime?

Considering Japan won't ever be fully recovered from the disaster, you have to wonder how much later they'll be held off. What happens when the eps get up to the second Team Plasma ep in BW, whenever that is? Will they hold over that ep too?

Shopro probably knows this and is revising the episodes so they will air via rewriting and reanimating certain parts. It's possible that they may not but I won't rule out my theory.

This is not a thread to discuss BW23s & BW24s status.

Oh, quite right.

I agree with the majority of those who prefer better characters, storytelling and anything other than excessive violence. Pokemon isn't that violent.

I would like to(but not extensive) ..but pokemon creators are a BUNCH of cowards they will never do something like that...when pokmon first came out there was some violence,sex..etc scenes,yes they where little,but pokemon creators took 4KIDS edits as ORDERS,
delete/cut violence scenes
they never draw violence scenes again and the result battles are some times cheesy and slow in motion.

jamse scene was cut out

draw all women with a small undetailled bra (jessie's bra became smaller than usual )
all slapping hitting scenes where removed even if they are just for fun
there result characters became so silly
legend of dratini
NO guns are allowed and the villains became stupid and you can't even call them villains and with a stupid childish dream to achieve (take over the world)
Jynx
change their color even thought its not based on black people.

I know,someone may say that they have to do this or other wise 4kids will delete these scenes and thus pokemon will lose money
the answer is pretty easy they can do the same thing yugioh,one piece creators did.

Last edited:
Well, I would give it a view for like 20 eps or a season to decide if it suits me or not but I definitely wouldn't mind a character in his teens. Then, who doesn't want a well written and in-depth story that bounds someone like a good book or so.

Regarding villains, I prefer the kind of puppet master like ones, with many powerful subordinates but them self are powerful enough to, literally said, destroy the world all alone but prefer to act hidden and manipulate. Thinking at what I just said, to an extent I want more brutal villains, in this case they mainly are just subordinates.

Blood, violence and sexual themes don't fit too much in my picture of Pokemon but if it does not overtake the story I think it would be not to bad (well let's leave the sexual themes aside).

I certainly would want to see some more love in Pokemon and I speak of love relation between humans. However, I don't want a love wishy-washy that overshadows everything else, a good amount of both and not overexerted should be fine.

Plot wise I say it is not as important what the plot is but how it is executed at all. I mean the safe the world theme still works, if it is good developed. Although smaller goals can be archived as hard as that one, depending how you write it. So here again we have the "depending on how you write it." In the end I think it would be good if step by step the tasks become harder to be accomplished. It must not end in saving the world but it is just another possibility. Some betrayals wouldn't hurt as well.

assuming it doesn't take over the current anime (which, for the most part, I think does a fine enough job at what it's intended to do: plugging the video games), then yeah, seeing an alternate animation based off of Pocket Monsters (preferably an OVA) would make for a very interesting experiment. And yeah, I'm also all for targeting towards an older audience, but like many things, execution is key. First of all, one should keep in mind that this is basically a franchise that depicts people as young as kindergarteners (if the games' NPCs are anything to go by) capable of capturing giant, rampaging beasts, even gods, and having semi-absolute control over them. Really, there's so much potential in such a concept, and it's worth noting that the games themselves have taken advantage of it (as evidenced by the past three generations' worth of games focusing on the evil teams trying to gain control of the legendaries, with each succeeding generation dealing with increasingly complex characterization, and generation 5 ultimately letting the "beat the Champion" plotline succumb to the "save the world" plot).

Of course, for a genuine, officially greenlit product with the Pokemon brand, we could probably expect things to remain toned down a bit. Nintendo's kinda known for being family friendly, although they can occasionally turn things up a notch (as seen with Fire Emblem and Sin & Punishment). Then again, The Pokemon Company seems to exist mostly as its own entity, so it's doubtful any of their stuff could get that serious. We had the Dengeki! Pikachu manga in the past which, intensely perverse sexualization aside, managed to present the characters in a nicely realistic artstyle as well as some slight levels of carnage (though still nothing worse than your average shounen manga). Due to the controversy it garnered, it's doubtful we'll see such sexualization in the franchise again (plus, we've currently got Tokyo Governor Ishihara trying to fuck with the manga industry.... depending on your stance, the lack of sexuality's either a good or a bad thing), but the currently running Pokemon ReBURST seems to be doing a nice job of succeeding some of its general stylings, from what I've seen.

- A new main character in his teens

Again, it depends on execution, but personally, I like adolescent mains. They're kinda at a point in their life where they know enough about the world to get by, they've grown close to an average adult size and typically have the strength and responsibilities to show for it, they're sexually active and "could" form romantic relationships (though they too require proper execution; if nothing else, a post-pubescent character, of either gender, could make for some fanservice.... but then again, some audiences are lolicon/shotacon, so yeah), and yet there's still a lot for them to learn. Of course, some writers just use this period in the characters' lives to make them overly angsty and confused (which wouldn't be bad in itself if it wasn't so over-the-top in a lot of cases), but really, characters of any age could be written in a good or a bad way. It's just that the teens seem to be most dominant in practically all media.

- Actual back stories and more depth to the characters

as I said, the games have sorta headed in this direction for a while now. Even the anime has gotten into the habit on occasion, though I'd say it pales in comparison to how some of the manga pulled it off.

- More brutal villains
- Violence, blood, sexual themes, etc. (Rated PG-13)

some people would say that having violence and blood just for the sake of it is immature more than anything. I'd agree, but I'm also of the opinion that having some blood, character death, acts of brutality, etc. can really help set the tone, showcasing that the world is not always a happy place and several atrocities can and will be committed in the world of this story. Again, execution. It's in very poor taste to just splatter blood and (in English-language media, at least) have characters throwing out curse words just so you can say "hur dur, it's not for children!"

- Romantic themes interwoven in the plot
- More in-depth plots beyond "I want to be a Pokemon Master!"

as others have said, romance would be nice if it isn't overly sappy and just completely overtakes the plot which initially could've done well without such a melo-dramatic element. As for being more in-depth, there's a lot that the franchise could cover. The current anime already explored complexly moralistic themes from the games, such as Mewtwo's cloning, and as I mentioned earlier, the games have put a pretty huge focus on the legendary plotlines for the past decade now (the Mystery Dungeon games have had nicely heavy storylines as well). However, there's still plenty of ground to be covered, and personally, I could see a full-out deconstruction of Pokemon playing out to pretty great effect, with some things possibly being grade-A nightmare fuel if looked into deeply enough (ask yourself things, like why Pokemon are suddenly loyal after capture, or why Trainers supposedly black-out themselves after all six of their Pokemon faint... hell, after thinking on them long enough, I can see the three sprites based off of the human mind as being something out of Lovecraft).

Also, what other things would you like to see if Pokemon made a more 'adult' anime akin to Bleach or Inuyasha?

no, those actually aren't "adult" shows. They only end up on Adult Swim in America because of our standards on bloody violence. If it was actually possible to edit those shows without making them look like crap, they could've just as well ended up Toonami (in fact, such was actually the case with Outlaw Star and Rurouni Kenshin, and ironically, I see both of those shows as being quite a bit more serious than both Bleach and Inuyasha).

BTW, to some of the people responding in this thread, be honest: if not Pokemon Special, you're hoping to see your own fanfic become an animation, aren't you? I know I sure as hell am (someday, doujinshi, you will be made, and you will be awesome).

Pokemon Special

/thread

That story is basically what the OP is asking for. It covers everything that a person would want in a more "adult" pokemon show without going over the top.

It even has its own originality & is very faithful to the games. Genius.

Make Pokemon Special into an anime and call it a day.

Pokemon Special

/thread

That story is basically what the OP is asking for. It covers everything that a person would want in a more "adult" pokemon show without going over the top.

It even has its own originality & is very faithful to the games. Genius.

Make Pokemon Special into an anime and call it a day.

Or better yet, go read Pokemon Special and get over there ever being an "adult" Pokemon series because it will never happen.

i said it once and i'll say it again the moment ash goes into puberty is when this is an adult show

I would give it A try. but I doubt A more adult version of Pokemon would catch on.

Personally I don't think I would like this. I feel like I would see it and feeel like it was completly differnt and not for the better(not trying to hate) I personally would prefer how it is right now.

Why not? I would take a shot just to see how good or bad it is. Dozen of badfics prove it is most likely doomed to fail but I am all for a good plot and character development - if it's good I don't see why not XD

IMO what maybe would catch the attention of people is a "less childish" version of Pokemon Anime instead of a "more adult one". It's not the lack of violence and sex that makes lots of people back off the anime but how it is aimed to small children - I've heard dozen of times people complaining about the anime series because "it's badly written, it's politically correct, evil loses, its universe is way too much perfect and colorful in a bad sense"... You know the drill.

Pokemon is actually very adult. It has a 'sanitising' filter over to make it appropriate for all audiences, but that is a lens that we see it through. Nobody talks about sex or death in Pokemon, but we know it happens. It all depends on how you look at it.

As for the actual question, I certainly would, but only if it was a natural progression of the writers towards more mature themes. I wouldn't like it if it was a big committee-based decision. That's just encircling it with restrictions and expectations, and that's why most remakes that are DESIGNED to appeal to older audiences fail. If the creators of the anime feel a creative pull towards darker themes, then that would be wonderful and they should be able to exercise that freedom.

Last edited:
I would try it... But as everyone else has said, it can't be overly-adult. Like, they only really need sex and and violence if it is for the sake of the plot, because nothing annoys me more than when shows or books, or anything just do things to appear "edgy". That being said, violence is somewhat unavoidable in a series about fighting, but in a series like Avatar: The Last Airbender found a good balance between using adult themes that are needed while keeping it kid friendly. So I don't think it needs to be an "adult" show, it just needs to start being more mature to the point of where it actually makes an impact on the person.
So, I would try it. But if I felt the maturity was too forced, I probable wouldn't like it.
*end of rant*

i said it once and i'll say it again the moment ash goes into puberty is when this is an adult show

Again, why would that make it an adult show? That'd be like saying Ben 10 Alien Force and Ben 10 Ultimate Alien are adult shows because Ben went from age 10 (in Ben 10) to 15 and then 16.

if Pokemon was more adult I wouldn't like to see the Pokemon bleed after a battle, This is sort of why Pokemon appeals to me because its more like friendly competition instead of bruit violence for the sake of it, I really think the day Pokemon becomes more mature is the day everybody looses interest in the show because its fun the way it is.

I don't know if I could take a series of something as dark as Pokemon Apocalypse on Youtube, and really, lots of dark things happen in the anime if you really objectively look at what is going on, so ... uh ... yes and no?

*cough*puberty*cough* and pokemon is about day to day life ben ten and his other series are every couple of days

I would watch it; I put up with the current Anime, why not try a new one?

I never understood why there was only one continuity of Anime, while there are so many Manga adaptions.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom