• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would you watch the Pokemon anime if it revamp every several years?

Are you going to continuously watch the Pokemon anime if the story revamp every saga?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd watch the series if it was revamped every few years. I like Ash and I don't have significant problem with him still being the lead, but I wouldn't be so heartbroken over losing him that I'd stop watching the anime either. I don't watch the anime to just to follow Ash's story and if I did, I'd probably would be kind of sad due to how he's on a never-ending journey. Admittedly, I don't think that changing the lead characters every few years would necessarily result in better writing. If the new lead suffers from the same problems Ash has or is basically an Ash clone, then the change would be kind of pointless in that regard.

If they tried this years ago and basically went the Pokemon Adventures route with each series focused on a different storyline instead of just all of the trainers collecting Gym badges, maybe it could have resulted in some good writing and it would have worked fine. It's far too late to try anything like this out now, but if they did revamp the anime with every new generation, I'd still watch it.

Yeah, I would continue to watch. I like Ash, but his personality has become artificial. Personally, I think the character has ran his course. They did everything they could with Ash's personality by this point. XY Ash seems to be compensating for his character by making him more of a “cool, action hero” but they don’t seem to realize at all Ash should be a character with a personality of a 10-year-old first and a hero second. Heroics mean nothing without character. Ash was actually very very fun during OS and AG and I felt like he not only was developing as a trainer but as a person as well.

To make things a bit more annoying, the anime makes some very good sidekicks but they are hindered by Ash since they always have to play second fiddle to him. Dawn really should have won the Tag Battle with Conway for example, they were the best tag team and the theme of the tourney was working together in the city where hearts meet and winning by learning to be more at one with your teammate. Conway and Dawn were in-sync completely but were forced to lose to Paul and Ash.

I should be watching Clemont and Serena do more, grow more as people and trainers and battle more, but the only one actively getting battles and glory regularly is Ash. He always repeats the same exact mistakes over and over again. Ash and TR, the last of the surviving OS characters, I think can be written out and I wouldn't cry over it. The best time to get rid of him would have been in DP, he got his highest rank and he was a strong trainer, even if his personality had become cardboard by that point. His character doesn't develop anymore and this is a prime example of taking a character and extending them for 800+ episodes past their welcome.

Pokemon anime can live without Ash imo. The only thing is it would look weird replacing him after keeping him for so long but it can be done. If you are going to keep Ash in the show for so long, advance the character. I honestly wouldn't mind if we got some new blood and a less repetitive formula.

1) Because GF create a new generation of main series game only in every 3 years (not including remakes), the length of one saga may vary from 1~3 years, meaning episodes of 52~156 for one saga. For how long are you be able to stay interested for one saga?

Eh, I'd probably watch as long as it is interesting.

2) Although many said Pokemon anime in that case will follow the game story more faithfully, but that may not be the case. So are you still going to watch the anime provided that it may not be the same story as the game?

I'd welcome a creative story than simply a carbon copy plot, but I'd prefer if they used more of the game's features like they did in Origins. This really depends on how interesting the content is

3) Also, anime may introduce some original characters not in the game into the main cast. Would one be fine with such original characters?

Again, if they are interesting characters, like Alan and Manon from the Mega Evolution special, I'd welcome original characters as long as they are well written.

4) Some said that every new protagonist of new saga will just follow the same path as Ash Ketchum wanting to become a Pokemon Master, but there is no guarantee that this will be the case. Are you still going to watch the revamped Pokemon anime if traveling objective of the new protagonist is the same as / different from Ash?

I'm starting to feel like a broken record but anyways, as long as the writing is creative enough and well fleshed out to capture the viewer's attention and excitement, I'd be fine with a similar plot

5) For anime with revamp story, it always happened that scriptwriting quality is not fixed. Some saga may have a better story and some saga may have a worse story. Are you still going to follow the show if story quality varies?

As long as the worst quality is better than the Best Wishes fiasco, then I'm fine with varying quality. But of course the average story quality should be better than now.

6) THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION TO BE TAKEN!!!!! Provided that you have completely no preconception that Pokemon anime will turn out to be the one like we have currently if they keep on letting Ash travel to new region continuously. Are you still going to watch the revamped Pokemon anime?

If they show potential for good writing then yes.

So overall my answer is Yes as long as...

1. The average story quality is better than now.
2. The characters are creative and well-fleshed out. Even if the protagonists are representing their game counterparts, every character has their unique background and personality considering their backstory and what their surroundings are. Carbon copies are a no-no
3. Similar plot, different expressions. Even if it's just collecting badges and challenging a league, there are a million ways to write it.

Good quality + Creativity = I'd definitely watch it.

Whole premise behind this thread basically lies on "Appeal to novelty!" vs "Appeal to tradition!" type of argument.

Apologies in advance for very long post, but i had lot of things to say and explain better why im not in favor of pokemon series experiencing revamp:

For start 118 episodes per saga with way characters and structured plots were present in my opinion wouldn't be enough for Ash to adequatelly develop, alongside others fulfilling requirements to move on next pokemon series with no regreets. Therefore ill emphasize on difference between pokemon and other mentioned shows:
There do exist anime which conclude things in span of 26 epispodes, even less, ready to move on next adventue or none at all ending as one time thing. But shorter your work is you have as writer, than its more likely how protagonists or story wont be fleshed out to proper degree. When you have anime with short life your often running into risk of not unfolding iut characters background, motives, desires, fears and what not, your risking to have anticlimactic and poorly constructed ending. With lot of things cluttered together and happen at once only confusing viewers, damaging appeal of story and leaving reader with more questions than answers.

In that case your reaching border of anime not ending on memorable and impactful note ensuring strong legacy behindf itself, but turning into incomprehensible mess full of disappointment and just bad writing due to either lack of imagination or motive from writers to give more.

There are plenty shows which lasted for less than 50 episodes. Backed with quality and detailed characterization, innovative plots and good protagonists. But due to short timespan left sour taste in mouth to audience. Some of examples would be Death Note and L with many feeling how its protagonist and storyline lasted for too short leaving many things unexplained and undone. Wishing that writers prolongued series to better explain its characters and add more meat to story through new difficulties.

There is Air or Angel Beats which while praised for innovative stories and endearing characters also received criticism of being way too short. Ending with rushed and half assed conclusion.

Evangelion is one of series many fans from Eva community feel how it had material to do more with story and its characters with budget constraints and Hideki Anno depression streak leading to quick , dispersed ending. With many fans wishing more came out of it or even sequel(some consider reboot films to be this).Etc, etc.

This doesn't happen always, but point is how it largely depends on how story, dreams, characters, drama, emotional issues instilled into someone are introduced when writing stpory. Determining how much you would need to extend it in order to reach sound and plausible conclusion.

So how does pokemon and keeping Ash as stable protagonist ties into all of this and why i wouldn't wanted to see multiple serie adaptations ar cost of sacrificing potential for innovative story made with Ash?

For start Pokemon unlike other anime which can tell proper story during 26, 52 or 100 episodes leaving people grateful not seeing need for more, was developed under different circumstances, has different kind of fandom, different impact and standards under which characters and story was presented to viewers as well.

In pokemon series 100 or even 200 episodes often isn't enough to carry character from point A to point B only starting to dig and scratch under surface of its protagonists.

If there is one thing which writers and format of pokemon anime proved time after time is how way Ash traveling companion careers, motives and flaws they have are designed in most cases cannot be properly fleshed out and developed in short time span of 3 to 5 years.

Simply because of pursuing long term goals which are supposed to build on themselves with character going through various stages of growth over long period of time, because of backstories which by end of their run leave more things unanswered than answered and because of their own personal insecurities, struggles and problems only being scratched little beneath surface being replaced halfway unfinished.

Some of examples:
It happened with Misty who was far from finished never becoming water master with her goals involving to reach E4 heights as trainer, meet legendary water pokemon learning their secrets and true nature(she dreamed of this alot during OS) along with many things regarding past, motivations and fears being unexplored and undefined(like judging pokemon by looks rather than inner strength, not developing enough confidence and realization of how she will come closer toweard her dreamds, having trouble in exploring her pokemon to full potential lacking enough patience as Psyduck shows etc).

It happened with Cilan who got zero closure with his connoisseur career, rivalry with Burgundy, passion for various hobbies like trains, fishing, being detective etc ending unexplored leaving room to be done much more.

It happened with May who didn't became top coordinator, didn't developed her own style as coordinator and learned how to better cope with glamurous, more flashy aspect of contests with her reliance on more straightforward, direct strategy regular trainers use posing hurdle for her when it comes to appeal rounds and positive impression she would leave on judges. Not to mention fact of there being lot more to be desires with unfinished rivalries with Harley, Soledad or Drew.

Do i even need to mention likes of Tracey?

Same applies to Ash but on even bigger scale. His story, passion, background, quirks which define him are largely unexplored. His connection to legendary pokemon like Ho_Oh and presentation to audience as "chosen one", special protagonist who is born for big things. His dream of becoming pokemon master where winning pokemon league, battling E4 and Champion was constructed as just one of several steps needed to win and overcome to come closer toward title of master etcf.

All of this provides too much material, variables and subplots that having everything crammed under 118 or 150 episodes just wouldnt work. Nevertheless because of marketing nature of pokemon series and obligation to collect 8 badges to qualify for league just like you do in games, requires big amount of episodes to have compelling strory, natural progression and sense of moving forward.

Doing blitzkrieg through gym leaders, trainers and league would cop out delivering accelerated, convoluted and unappealing charade. Rather than engaging, valuable and insightful journey.

Hence why im much more in favor of having permanent protagonist which developes over long period of time eventually reaching conclusion. Rather than bunch of protagonists with each serie getting rebooted , delivering mess full of clashing ideas, shallow groundwork on which their story was developed and rushed, unbelievable closures turning pokemon series into joke.

Now do i defend and like way pokemon series are written with Ash being stuck in Circulum Vitious, delivering stagnation?

Of course not!
But instead of getting rebooted version after another, i would much rather want and support pokemon series known for consistent growthn of its characters. Strong continuity, balanced story and clear objectiove which characters in story try to reach. Doing buld up and continuation of character development with no return to square one involved. That strong friendship, unbreakable bonds between Ash and friends, history and unfinished stories of travel companions dont end up disparaged and burried in past remaining relevant, prpoactrive and alive in series format coming back or playing recurring role.

Having eventful, enjoyable and substantial storyline with stable protagonists. Many anime out there exists for advertizing, but they dont do this on expense of development and quality of story. Making sure that anime medias have their own identity and to extent creative, adventure based story to follow. Both marketing franchise oroducts but also keeping people thrilled and very loyal thanks to effort from writers side in maintaining quality.

For instance even if Ash wins league, considering how he wants to become strongest trainer in world/master would go in line with character and goals to travel to new regions. Battle other stronger trainers, adapt to different battle styles and techniques people use in different parts of world trying to beat other pokemon leagues and champions. In order to be noticed and recognized for his abilities not just in one region, but whole world.

For same reason May rival Soledad who won Kanto Grand Festival continued traveling to Johto to win another GF. Why? Because winning GF of region makes you famous and top coordinator of one region, but not on global basis wanting to leave mark and get acknowledged as one of best in world.

Also who is to say writers couldnt after Ash defeats champion league continue to develop? There is father, connection to Ho-oh, other unmentioned steps on what else needs to be done to become master. For instance there could be introduced more challenging tasks like some sort of league for trainers which managed to win championship gathering only those worthy enough to enter such intense events and through selection choice face various tasks and evaluators until only one is left(similar to way BF worked with only exceptional trainers getting ticket to get there).

There is no apex, limit in how much character can develop theoretically. You can have anime with thousands of episodes and scharacter with ton of development and action still be blank as empty book. Leaving room to do much more before ending is provided. Even that sequel can happen.

With amount of potential in character not lying on elements and circumstances under which story about him/her was present. But solely on writers will and inducement of how much in reality he wishes to do with its creation.

By taking character in new directions advancing further his own goals and evolving as person/trainer, introducing new obstacles put in front of them having to learn on mistakes and how to overcome them along with being revealed more about their past bringing up things they forgot to include first time around.

In narrative its always possible to continue fleshing out character, adding new traits to him becoming more deep, along with building on his journey through new subplots and challenges.
This happens all the time. Eiichiro oda for One Piece intended to wrap things up after 5 seasons, but changed mind and brought more material to work with introducing new adventures, scopes, struggles and flaws to develop characters forward. Same applies to Akira Toriyama and Goku from DBZ.

In such cases we didn't witnessed situation of "beating dead horse", or dissecting characters more than beeded. But instead attended to author himself wanting to break in advance created preconceptions and limitations imposed on story and characters of what he originally intended to do. Therefore deciding to reach new points and have his creations go on bigger, deeper, more meaningful development. Giving to loyal followers and readers new adventures to look forward to, enjoy in their favorites and follow fluid, within flow further prohression of protagonist and story bringing whole new dimension to it.

Which instead of runing characters made them deeper, more worthwhile and rewarding as result of that.

J.R.R. Tolkien which announced how one of his biggest regrets was that his work considered by many as masterpiece "Lord of the Rings" was too short. Wishing he did more before death. Having ideas which didnt saw light of day.

To this day audience wanders what more he planned to do with it.

Another examples would be J. K. Rowling, stating that while she feels "Harry Potter" was given good conclusion not seeing need to do more, also left room for change, Mentioning how in case she ever changes her mind she has already developed ideas and space to do compelling and viable sequel to events happening after 7th(final)book, to publish at least 2 more books on this subject(many Potter fans would kill for this).

Would my wish that Ash long journey is made more believable, filled with content and bigger quality on strengthening its connections to past and making it treated like continuity based show. Rather than some weird compound full of fragmented pieces of development scattered all over the place with no real plot or history behind itself fulfill itself?

Hard to tell, likely not.

With current limitations and repetitive formula preventing that.
But with such approch no new protagonist will be getting better treatment, satisfying development and proper closure either, making concept of new pokemon series constantly introducing new protagonists null and void.

And if formula do change, there comes some new blood in writer ranks or older crew decides to bring more dimension to story and characters?

Than i would rather have them invest more in Ash character. Which based on amount of enormous potential already existing characters have, makes me strongly convinced how i do not find interesting or needed in any shape or form to break this down. Just to get rebooted version with new character i would not have any kind of attachment, connection and care for.

There are also other characters. People in pokemon such as May, Dawn, Misty, Brock, Iris etc who we like, care about their stories and dreams having their goals and stories left unfinished opening potential to deliver much, much more on table. Being awfully unfair and disrespecting toward other characters beside Ash in my opinion have end up erased from universe, timeline and continuity. Instead of taking advantage of potential they have, build on their appeal which won hearts of many people out there and have them grow forward having history and groundwork to go on bigger things.

To get set of different faces which dont have builded charisma and appeal, when there are so many of already existing ones i like and would like to see more done with their stories not reaching even apex of potential of what could be done with their characters, stories and flaws. Let alone fulfilled prerequisites for denuaement.

P.S. Please do not mistaken how reasoning behind my vote being negative lies on wanting never ending story with no end in sight.Far from it.
Reason i wouldn't prefer reboots of pokemon series with current anime getting ending eventually is because:

A):i dont see point in introducing new protagonist when current one still has long way to go before achieving something notable enough and actually come closer toward fulfillment of its aims so that i can look back and be haopy with final result. Ash chracter still has large amount of potential which is on purpose not used since it requires one scoop of effort too many than required to keep show going(though that cant go on forever) . And way his character has been progressed hasnpot reached point to allow for viable conclusion , at least not in near future.

Along with most replaced companions not getting any closure or proper ending leaving much more to be desires with their goals, personalities, interests and subplots pending and going nowhere. By adding them into count alongside Ash than it becomes apparent how one saga isn't enough to bring everything toward end, give everyone more development so that people could be content and feeling like their favorites were fleshed out enough not having regrets over anything.

Since i do care and grew attached to quite a few of them i wouldnt prefer sacrificing their untapped potential and chance for decent sequel bringing stories to climax and conclusion, just to get new crew stepping on older ones as mean to break toward success. Only aadding insult to injury.

Which i dont consider bad thing, because symphatizing with character and developing fondness for it is reflection of something being done right in anime. When it makes viewers emotionally invest into characters wanting best for them.

You can have best story and most detailed it there, but without charismatic and likable characters your ending with nothing but hollow husk.

B): Another reason why i personally wouldn't be too keen on watching one after another rebooted version of pokemon series is because such fragmented and chopped into mini series anime versions of same franchise generally interest me less than shows with big adventure, stable cast and on going story which accumulates itself with new twists, subplots and challenges following epic joiurney made over long period of time.

Allowing to better know protagonists, affiliate yourself with them, learn more about their past and fill you with excitement. Of what is going to happen next, how will characters use previously acquired skills in new situations, develop new techniqjues and gradually mature changing perspective on world and surrounding around themselves. Going on bigger, more complex and demanding phase of development resulting in more suspense entanglements, action, emotional evolution and sense of story building.

Big long adeventure which has its beginning, middle and end. Which leaves you fulfilled and enchanted as viewer making you glad that you were privileged to see characters you like be explored and advanced over long perios with all this struggling, effort and various obstacles eventually bringing him/her somwhere.

Delivering impactful message and legacy behind itself.

To the point of new anime adaptations not being needed only taking away from momentum and uniqueness such type of anime are capable of producing.

Preferring personally if pokemon anime ends with already established protagonist and cast treating series as as one time entity which followed story and brought it to conclusion with those who introduxed us to pokemon world and helped build its plot, history and appeal. Giving us one last time to enjoy in their silly taunts, vibrant characterization and interesing dreams they pursue playing major part in story for one last time finishing this show on positive note.

With no new anime versions made afterwards with 20 or more years being enough for me.

Because games in reality do not need anime to accompany them forever to truly thrive.

How on Earth is this for little Japanese 5-year olds

I don't judge book with a cover. But if you insist that I judge the whole show with this scene....

Should 5 years old seriously need to start learning to flirt? Do they even understand what flirting means?

My own opinion, that scene does nothing but that solidifies the rating of it being K+ in my own rating system.

I'm predicting that you're going to find one episode from one very long series where a character helps someone and then claim that they do this multiple times and then ignore all of the other examples. And then hilariously think you're right.

Please tear apart Neon Genesis Evangelion, I dare you (you're gonna choose that one, right, right? Pleeeeease? )=).

2 Words, Challenge accepted.

Edited: Geez, 26 episode? Pokemon got more than 26 good non-fillers, 26 episodes without fillers are way easier to write. But again, I will watch into it. If I managed to find 2 similar fillers within 26 episodes, its going to be hilarious.

Yeah, that just made me wonder why schools existed, they always teach the same lesson over and over again.....

If you argue and say that the school step up the lesson every year, the same thing can apply to the filler of Pokemon too.

If you don't feel it, Its once again your personal opinion.

Bro, you seem a little too bitter about school. If it makes you feel better, there's a version for people just starting.

Once again, you are tackling me instead of my example. I am pointing out the varying viewpoints of different people on matter even as important as school. The filler may have stepped up the lesson, its up to you whether you agree or not.

That 'I wonder why' is a manner of sarcasm. I am sorry that I failed to make you see it.

>beginning, middle, and end
>unoriginal
>too similar

Yes, I caught you. You suddenly tied 'Completion of story' to 'Universally accepted writing', which I would say, does not compute. Read carefully what you said before:

Implying that I didn't already give evidence, and cited what is universally accepted as crucial to good writing, and you didn't just ignore them or misinterpreted almost everything I tried to present.

This is a completely separate (and earlier) post, which you never said that 'completing a story with beginning, middle and conclusion' is the 'universally accepted writing' until your next post. You lied one way another. Because if 'completion' is what you said on the quote above, you never gave an evidence of a completion of an Anime is the 'universally accepted writing' prior to that post. You mentioned that Action shows need to have beginning middle and ending, you mentioned that Yugi Mutou can't be reused unless in spinoffs because the story has ended, but you never mentioned that a story with 'beginning, middle and conclusion' is 'universally accepted writing' (in fact, you never mentioned 'universally accepted writing' anywhere by that time, it pops out way later). You are arguing over my previous post being wrong because I can't see your future post by that time.

If you were implying the way of writing of the other writers is better than Pokemon's by the time of that post, it at least make some sense.

This part is totally separated form the previous sentence, you weren't arguing 'Completion' with 'Universally accepted' together in the last post. You were trying to mix up different points while I noticed. This simple skill is crucial in debates.

See, I already pointed out that you never linked 'universally accepted writing' to 'completion' until all of a sudden, thanks for making me repeat it.

At this point, I don't know if hipster or troll.

And yeah, I probably lack proper debating skills because I can't piece together what you're trying to say here. Sorry, my English is bad.

And I already agreed in the last post that I agree a story without ending sucks.

Didn't you just say that endings are too mainstream for you? What a universally trite format! Those colleges don't know what they're talking about. We're in total agreement.

These all became nullified because of the above stated reason. And are you attacking me?

In a nutshell said:
"you should present your facts"

*I present facts*

"well, fuck your facts, it's my opinion"

*says one thing*

*says the complete opposite later, for the sake of disagreeing*

*and then accuses me of backpedaling (?) when I've been calmly/consistently expressing my arguments and constructive criticisms up until now, most of which he ignored*

I honestly don't think this is real anymore. If it is, then welp, not going to continue anymore anyway[/spoiler]

I'll be taking my leave then.

I already stated its my personal rating in 3 different posts.

EVEN IF I now accept that the way I rate is wrong, I mixed the 'target audience' with 'rating' which is wrong, still its a 'step up the writing' argument, which does not support that changing Ash will make the Anime better. You are arguing over a matter that clearly don't support your argument.

My argument is clear, if Pokemon Anime revamps, we will end up with a new protagonist, yes. But he will just follow the 'beat gyms, beat villainous teams and become champion' formula, which the gyms can be substituted by contest while champion substituted by Master Coordinator, but still the same formula none the less. Unless you think they are going to write a script that has nothing to do with the Villainous Team, nor collecting badges or ribbons while still managing to advertise the game? Or if you can, I would love to hear your ideas. In fact if they are very good I will not mind flying all the way to Japan, risk going to jail just to budge in their studio to hand your script/idea to them. (Or I can simply mail them your script:) )

Last edited:
I can't say for sure if I would continue watching it, but I probably wouldn't. I've stopped watching Yu-Gi-Oh!, Digimon and Beyblade long time ago because I didn't find the newer protagonists as memorable as the original ones. It's very likely that Pokemon would have followed suit.

Frankly speaking, instead of a whole new revamp, they should opt for a change of focus and give a new role to the older protagonists. For example, let's take Ash, the most targeted character in that regard. They could adapt him into a mentor figure for another Badge Collector Trainer, in a way that he and Pikachu can still be the "faces" of the show while showing character development, which is seriously lacking in their regards. Same goes for other old characters, like the Team Rocket trio. That's, of course, if they decided from the beginning to keep the same characters.

In my opinion, the main problem of the show isn't the fact that they keep Ash, Pikachu and TRio around, but how they've being transformed into walking amnesiac zombies and how the plot as a whole is being handled. If they kept a better continuity and the characters didn't get senseless resets, then I bet that the show would be much better.

And about the question of "they can go that far", well... we should watch Johto again. Basically they got rid of the most experienced members because they knew that it would have resorted in a power creep, with the more powerful Pokemon demolishing Gyms and resulting in terribly easy wins, unless they nerfed them in some way or another. That's why they've started the trend of making Ash start anew every time, in a way that he doesn't appear overpowered at the beginning of a new series and to give him the challenge to train his new team to a competent level. He could very well keep his former competence and train the newest Pokemon better and faster.

After all, isn't the Sinnoh team considered one of his best teams, if not the best, despite being made by rather recent Pokemon? How do you think Ash got that result, if not thanks to his knowledge and experience? Who knows, his Unova team could have become even better and more capable, or get another type of balance since every Pokemon has unique abilities, strategies and attacks, which makes all teams quite unique. It isn't different than us always starting a new game, studying our new Pokemon, finding the best balance of types/attacks/abilities and looking for the best way to train them and for the best strategy. And for Pikachu... he could be used mainly to fight expert Trainers, or in case the other members of the team needed some backup (which doesn't equal to hogging the spotlight).

Team Rocket is a quite tricky matter. I don't really know how they could have been handled, honestly.

And now, the fillers. Wanna know my opinion? They wouldn't have changed. After 200+ episodes of the anime, we would still have repeats of previous fillers, with some minor tweaks and plots to make them seem more unique. That shouldn't even be surprising, since nowadays nothing is new. Everything has already been explored and there is few original stuff. That's why we mostly have remakes after remakes and recycled plot/formula after recycled plot/formula.

To conclude everything, I don't think it's possible to revamp the series at this point. If the trend started sooner, maybe at the end of Johto, I could see the show being revamped without too many problems. But right now, it would be extremely risky. After all, why fix something that isn't (completely) broken? That's the current mindset, whether we like it or not.

I think the reason Ash is still the main character is because of how iconic he is among people, which is the reason they never replace him. Would I watch a revamped Pokemon anime if they replaced him each generation? That depends on how that main character is developed and how his journey goes. Honestly, at this point, I find Ash to be a very bland protagonist since they just make him do the same things again and again and not have him progress or do anything new, but I don't think a new protagonist should do every single thing Ash did.

If they did revamp the anime with a new protagonist, I don't expect it to be like the original series in all aspects, but to be it's own entity, it's own story, rather than trying to be like the older series. I also don't expect it to be darker and edgier like so many people want it to be, but remain a show for kids, or more specifically, towards a family audience like what Takeshi Shudo intended the anime to be. The Pokemon anime is meant to sell merchandise and it's meant to attract new audiences. I think each series should be it's own story than try and copy the previous one word-for-word, yet at the same time still promote the games and merchandise while trying to be it's own thing.

Aight. As long as it remains civil and open-minded, I might be able to continue in this discussion.

There is Air or Angel Beats which while praised for innovative stories and endearing characters also received criticism of being way too short. Ending with rushed and half assed conclusion.
Actually, Angel Beats had budget problems that resulted in Jun Maeda rushing the story. He didn't want the story to end that early, he actually intended it to be longer. You can actually tell that there was executive BS going on when Otonashi started wanting to help the other SSS members pass on, which is what he started to do when they got to the Yui episodes, then suddenly the climax started happening out of the left field where, by the end, a large chunk of the SSS members are said to have passed on off-screen with no satisfying conclusion for them. Key's gonna rectify this in the upcoming visual novel adaptation (hopefully at least. Despite similar tropes by both being Japanese mediums, anime and visual novels don't really mesh that well together in terms of adaptation due to systems that only work well with visual novels... and also in-company problems at Key might end up hindering Angel Beats the VN). But see, this is exactly what I'm talking about. There are quite a few anime series that want to tell powerful stories, but end up getting screwed over by budget cuts. The Pocket Monsters budget for just 100+ episodes is literally a godsend and they barely do anything with it. The episode count that a Pocket Monsters anime receives every generation is more than enough to develop its cast from beginning to end as long as they don't spend episodes upon episodes ADDing with slice-of-Pokemon-life. Of course, I'm aware you don't necessarily support Pocket Monsters not taking the One Piece-route, but this is how I feel in regards to how the anime is currently handled in a general sense (the method you propose isn't bad at all).

As for Air, I didn't really see anything wrong with what KyoAni did with the show in 12-episodes. Sure, it could have been vastly improved if it was two cours, but we have to remember that it's an adaptation of an even longer visual novel that did everything that the anime does a lot better, and the animated adaptation was largely experimental for KyoAni, as they started to thrive upon its sucess and later adapted their other Key visual novels with more episodes. Compare this to Pocket Monsters, where despite being an adaptation, it's more of an anime-original story in a lot of regards by just *being* a Pocket Monsters adaptation, and thus doesn't have the same limitations of being a typical adaptation, let alone a visual novel adaptation. It just... fails to utilize its limitless potential to be something more than it is now.

In retrospect, I think as long as the budget works with whatever the writer intends to do (doesn't matter if it's an anime, a video game, a book, or whatever), length isn't necessarily a hindrance. Being a long or short series doesn't matter as long as they have everything they need to do to fulfill their intentions. The problem with the current series is that their intentions don't seem to be within a realm full of aspirations. There's no end goal, and if there is, they've create a huge roadblock. And with the amount of episodes they're allowed to do, it feels they're being wasted.

I do respect your rather consistent stance on how the anime should be done, however. You want a really long series and acknowledge that they should continually develop Satoshi and the other characters with it coming to an eventual conclusion, no resets or a perpetual period of being static (however, newer series that introduce new characters after that wouldn't exactly be your cup of tea). That's basically just One Piece, Rave, and Dragon Ball, only Pocket Monsters-styled. See, I can totally respect this and leave it at that, especially since you always manage to back up your opinions with valid points that don't confuse subjectivity with objectivity, and if it ever does, you acknowledge it. Good show, pokemon fan 132.

I don't judge book with a cover. But if you insist that I judge the whole show with this scene....

So you admit you never watched any of the shows that Crystal listed.

Why on Earth would you give a rating to something you've never watched?

Why?

I already stated its my personal rating in 3 different posts.

And again, your "personal" rating is wrong. I don't care if it's "your opinion". It contradicts with a fact. Which means that your opinion is wrong. Especially since you've never watched a number of these shows.

I'm not belittling the value of having different opinions. But there is a reason why we have the terms "fact" and "opinion" in the first place. You can have an opinion on a subjective matter. You can argue over subjective matters with constructive use of facts. The facts being pieces of evidence that are objective. Objective matters cannot be refuted by things that are subjective. There is no such thing as a "right" opinion, but there is such a thing as a wrong opinion. Because opinions can contradict facts. If it doesn't contradict any facts, then it's a "reasonable opinion".

Do you know how a person looks when they say "oh, I have never taken a math class before and despite what mathematicians say, π is not 3.14159... because it's my opinion"? Dude, with all intent and purposes I was trying to help you understand that you cannot use any of what you said regarding ratings and "tones" to support your argument, but you kept shooting that help down.

Yes, I caught you. You suddenly tied 'Completion of story' to 'Universally accepted writing', which I would say, does not compute. Read carefully what you said before:

This is a completely separate (and earlier) post, which you never said that 'completing a story with beginning, middle and conclusion' is the 'universally accepted writing' until your next post. You lied one way another You are arguing over my previous post being wrong because I can't see your future post by that time.

If you were implying the way of writing of the other writers is better than Pokemon's by the time of that post, it at least make some sense.

How the flying bozangas does that contradict anything I said earlier? You claimed that I did not provide evidence and just "ranted" at you, but I did provide evidence, and you ignored those facts including my points about "beginning, middle, and ends" which that was in reference to. I never "suddenly tied" universally-accepted writing structures with "beginning, middle, and completion of a story", they were always tied together. It is a fact. I just never expected to have to *explain* it, because I figured it was common knowledge for everyone that even dares to discuss the quality of fiction. I clearly overestimated something on my part.

That is not lying. I have never backpedaled in this thread. Now, this is hiding the truth, in a nutshell:

"So, have you even WATCHED most of the anime that Crystal listed, like Den-O or Xros Wars?"

"They are rated either K+ or T, at least in my opinion. They're all more mature than Pokemon! It's from my head."

"B-...but that's wrong."

"Nope. Opinions. All from my head."

"Again, did you watch any of those series firsthand."

"It's my opinion, stop trying to change it!"

This is sort of a tangent. No personal attacks or anything, just how I feel about this:

Now, I once again apologize to the mods and such for previously adding fuel to the fire by attacking you in my previous post (two wrongs don't make a right, and all that jazz), but you first and foremost accused me of being a LIAR *based on assumptions*. Do you know how rude that felt? And especially since you've been doing the exact same thing you claim that I've been doing throughout your previous posts (talking about things you've never seen, yet never making this clear even when asked)? Before that point, I've been putting a lot of thought into my posts, only for you to ignore most of those points, reply with insufficient "opinionated" (sometimes contradictory) phrases and insult my intelligence by implying that I have less skill in debates than you do (citation: "You were trying to mix up different points while I noticed. This simple skill is crucial in debates. "). Do you realize how baffling it is that you're unaware of the reason why I changed my demeanor and acted the way I previously did (i.e. "yeah, screw this, heres my reply im done lololol")? It all basically amounted to, or at least gave me the impression of, "You're wrong because I said you're wrong, you liar".

How are we supposed to have a half-decent healthy discussion when it ends up like that? No one is going to have the capacity to take a discussion seriously anymore when one party keeps doing that. There's no excuse for my previous mocking attitude other than me being a snarky prick when pushed enough, which I of course apologize for, but I just want to let you know that you were in the wrong too.

And also, when you said that "almost all manga series are too similar and unoriginal because they all have a beginning, middle, and ending?" Really? No rudeness intended, but isn't that a little too... broad of criteria? Because once you said that, you forced yourself into a corner. How are Cardcaptor Sakura and Neon Genesis Evangelion "too similar"? Heck, how is Hamlet "too similar" to.... hentai doujins? Twilight and Harry Potter? Etcetera. Those are all works that follow the basic structure of starting with a set-up, developing the characters in the middle (er, more or less in some cases *cough*), and contain conclusions. And then after talking about conclusions negatively, you go and say you agree that a conclusion would be good. All of this, along with the above, really made me not want to take this "debate" seriously anymore. Just pointing it out, so we can move on.

Should 5 years old seriously need to start learning to flirt? Do they even understand what flirting means?

My own opinion, that scene does nothing but that solidifies the rating of it being K+ in my own rating system.

It's a good thing that Pocket Monsters got rid of Takeshi after 14 years of him hitting on women, then. And also, those nasty inflatable boobs and cross-dressing. Dammit Kojirou, you're scarring the poor Japanese kids! Now all we need is for Pocket Monsters Special to get rid of that immoral pervert Gold. His flirting will obviously lead to him having sex with all the female characters. Not only Pocket Monsters, but that disgusting Looney Tunes franchise over in the US has anthropomorphic animals loving each other and kissing. Teaching kids how to flirt. Jeez. Little Kohana did the right thing giving the smack down to Urataros for thinking about doing something so icky. Kissing, ewwwww.

But in all seriousness dude, that mindset comes off as more than somewhat prudish in this progressive day and age. See, if one had a broad cultural insight to what is and isn't appropriate for children across the entire world instead of a specific little bubble I assume is the United States or where ever it is you live, they would never use their own values when talking about Japanese kids shows. (And also, if someone needed a television to babysit their kids and teach them not to mimic slapstick on children's television then lol ok... but Japanese parents are not known to do this. Modern housewives watch the newer Riders with their children because they hire pretty actors.)

See, this is how the world works - I am totally not trying to be rude now, so don't misunderstand this as an "attack", this is seriously how the world works - when you don't have sufficient knowledge about something, *you usually do not talk about it as if you do*. If you did not watch a movie, read a novel, or whatever, you do not give it a rating or even talk about it in the context of its story and content as if you experienced it. And lastly, when you lack sufficient knowledge in a specific area, you do not go in and try to debate about that topic with people who have had broader experiences in said area. If you do, your arguments won't hold up compared to people who do. pokemon fan 132, for instance, mentioned anime series he had watched in his posts. Never had he tried to talk about shows that he has never touched. His arguments hold more ground and merit in that regard.

[video=youtube;wtEKC99mn1g]DARK AND GRITTY[/video]

Enjoy more Den-O maturity. Much more suitable for us adults than the kids. I'd rather my kid become a vigilante dressed in a bat costume than a dude dressed up in a red suit possessing some other kid to transform into karate bugman for justice. Now that's a job for me.

All jokes aside, that's seriously how most of the show is. Sure, when it gets serious with its plot, it's not bad, but the content really doesn't get any worse than that and you'd really have to be grasping for straws to argue that Den-O and Fourze are.... mature. Again, how is this more "mature" (a vague word to begin with) than Pocket Monsters? And what does the "level of graphic content"/target audience/whatever you're trying to say have anything to do with making a story's writing better?

Of course, since you've never touched these shows before, you can't really say. So I'll give you leeway here. How is this clip more "mature" than the Japanese version of the Pocket Monsters anime? Would the PM anime benefit if it were more like this? How much would it change?

2 Words, Challenge accepted.

Edited: Geez, 26 episode? Pokemon got more than 26 good non-fillers, 26 episodes without fillers are way easier to write. But again, I will watch into it. If I managed to find 2 similar fillers within 26 episodes, its going to be hilarious.
Huah. Wow. I was kidding because Neon Genesis Evangelion doesn't have any filler in it. Are you seriously going to look for filler in Neon Genesis Evangelion...?

Well. At least you're getting into a good show...

(Also, two similar fillers is hardly comparable to a chunk of similar fillers from the PM anime... all of the fillers nowadays generally follow the same format with deviations here and there.)

Once again, you are tackling me instead of my example. I am pointing out the varying viewpoints of different people on matter even as important as school. The filler may have stepped up the lesson, its up to you whether you agree or not.
You make it sound as if the Pocket Monsters anime as it is now is some deep form of entertainment that constantly tackles different human perspectives in its episodic format.

I would love watching Satoshi learn the value of friendship, that you have to make up with your friends after arguing in every region, because that's totally different every time that happens. I would love watching Satoshi learn the importance of following your dreams from a CoTD because that's totally subject matter that should be explored more than once for the same character that's already passionate about his dreams. They should totally produce episodes where Satoshi learns that [x] farmer does [x] with [x] Pokemon to supply [x] region with goods again and again. Because I totally want to watch that as opposed to a larger action-packed plot arc concerning the main antagonists from the games or develop the characters in more significant ways. Screw intricate battles, screw engaging stories, I want to watch the characters eat out in the forest and get their food stolen for the umpteenth time from some asshole forest Pokemon.

See, what I don't get is this: you have said that you wished for the Pocket Monsters anime, as it is, to change its writing style. But then you go and defend its writing style, implying you wish for it to stay the same and that it's fine. Which side are you on?

That 'I wonder why' is a manner of sarcasm. I am sorry that I failed to make you see it.

Actually, I wasn't taking it seriously at all if the gif of Hakase laughing and the link to an elementary school webpage about "beginning, middle, and ends" were of any indication.

EVEN IF I now accept that the way I rate is wrong, I mixed the 'target audience' with 'rating' which is wrong, still its a 'step up the writing' argument, which does not support that changing Ash will make the Anime better. You are arguing over a matter that clearly don't support your argument.

I have brought up multiple points and arguments for why it would be more viable story-wise if they switched protagonists, but you keep ignoring them and never try to refute them. An example being, "If they keep Satoshi as the only main character in the anime, which will go on for long as the games will go on, and if they develop him without resetting him at all, what will they do once he reached his threshold? Reset him again? Keep him static? That pretty much = the same problem we have with the anime now."

These all became nullified because of the above stated reason. And are you attacking me?
If that "and" was supposed to been an "or", then yes. To be honest, I was snarkily attacking you. But we're all well past that now though, so let's move on from that for the big bosses now, shall we?

You gave example's of good anime revamping, which I applaud and approve. But then, you failed to speak of the impact that will be brought to the Pokemon Anime if they revamp, other than they may step up the script if they revamp. Which is a 50/50 that you cannot say for sure even for yourself, let alone everyone.

And I had already addressed this:

You're arguing that it's better if these same writers hypothetically changed their writing style with the current series, and I'm arguing that switching out the protagonists... while changing their writing style would be a better alternative. News flash, I'm not the only one making assumptions. It's the same assumption. The deviation here is whether or not it'll be better using the same protagonist forever.

Pointing out that a hypothetical topic is hypothetical is sort of redundant. Yes, if they switched protagonists, it may or may not suck. We don't know for sure because no one here is an esper. But I have tried to explain why I believe that keeping the same protagonist for the course of... a long time with no resets wouldn't work either using logic. You have yet to address how this is going to work with one protagonist.

(Whenever we have interviews with employees at OLM like Masamitsu Hidaka in regards to the anime sub-franchise ever ending, they shrug it off and treat it as a joke, implying that the anime will go on forever.)

You gave example's of good anime revamping, which I applaud and approve. But then, you failed to speak of the impact that will be brought to the Pokemon Anime if they revamp, other than they may step up the script if they revamp. Which is a 50/50 that you cannot say for sure even for yourself, let alone everyone.

While my argument is clear, if Pokemon Anime revamps, we will end up with a new protagonist, yes. But he will just follow the 'beat gyms, beat villainous teams and become champion' formula, which the gyms can be substituted by contest while champion substituted by Master Coordinator, but still the same formula none the less. Unless you think they are going to write a script that has nothing to do with the Villainous Team, nor collecting badges or ribbons while still managing to advertise the game?

Dude... have you ever been exposed to any Pocket Monsters adaptations besides the anime? Not saying you're some plebeian for *not*, but it's pretty crucial to discussing that kind of thing properly. There are plenty of manga series that successfully do their own thing like the anime (Pocket Monsters the gag manga being the most popular on-going example). And then we have the story-driven Pocket Monsters Special manga, that manages to showcase a bunch of stuff from the games without reusing the same badge quests every single time and each saga feels different from the last. And it's still on-going after 17 years, just like the anime. And switches protagonists, with new stories for each and every generation. Their equivalent of the anime's Satoshi (Red), and other older characters make appearances in later chapters from time-to-time even after their stories ended. The same could easily be done in animated form.

Or if you can, I would love to hear your ideas. In fact if they are very good I will not mind flying all the way to Japan, risk going to jail just to budge in their studio to hand your script/idea to them. (Or I can simply mail them your script:) )

http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/blogs/11139/pokemon-manga-project-some-basic-ideas-concept-art-59004/

I never have doubt that the story will go the way I imagined if they revamp. I can't say for everyone, but at least, I can speak for myself.

That's all fine and dandy. Just be prepared to sufficiently back yourself up when you try to assert the contrary.

You did start off in the thread with these, after all:

If they do it, the every series of the Anime will become a dull 'a hero go onto journey, beat Villainous team then become champion'.

Changing protagonist also will make the Anime lose every potential to become epic

"50/50" chance sure seems like 100% when you word things like this. People are going to disagree. And with less-than-substantial reasons to back your stance up, you're going to lose a lot of merit if you are persistent in trying to argue. Unless you improve your standing in your next reply, I won't even bother to continue after this (I'm just giving this one last chance).

Last edited:
So you admit you never watched any of the shows that Crystal listed.

Why on Earth would you give a rating to something you've never watched?

Why?

Easy, because I haven't watch this, doesn't mean that I haven't watch every others, once again you are the one misinterpreting.

"So, have you even WATCHED most of the anime that Crystal listed, like Den-O or Xros Wars?"

"They are rated either K+ or T, at least in my opinion. They're all more mature than Pokemon! It's from my head."

"B-...but that's wrong."

"Nope. Opinions. All from my head."

"Again, did you watch any of those series firsthand."

"It's my opinion, stop trying to change it!"

I thought I already made it clear that winning this argument don't win you anything, but you insist. Well, enjoy your off topic win because I am tired to argue that.

See, this is how the world works - I am totally not trying to be rude now, so don't misunderstand this as an "attack", this is seriously how the world works - when you don't have sufficient knowledge about something, *you usually do not talk about it as if you do*. If you did not watch a movie, read a novel, or whatever, you do not give it a rating or even talk about it in the context of its story and content as if you experienced it. And lastly, when you lack sufficient knowledge in a specific area, you do not go in and try to debate about that topic with people who have had broader experiences in said area. If you do, your arguments won't hold up compared to people who do. pokemon fan 132, for instance, mentioned anime series he had watched in his posts. Never had he tried to talk about shows that he has never touched. His arguments hold more ground and merit in that regard.

Okay, I AM the IDIOT, I don't have sufficient knowledge blah blah blah. Normal people don't do rating of the content they read/watch.

1) You are outright attacking me.
2) Who says I am normal? This is the internet! I'd rather anyone assume that I am a psychopath rather than saying I am an idiot! I am a psychopath so I rate the contents. PROBLEMS?

Of course, since you've never touched these shows before, you can't really say. So I'll give you leeway here. How is this clip more "mature" than the Japanese version of the Pocket Monsters anime? Would the PM anime benefit if it were more like this? How much would it change?

This clip is nothing more than a useless joke. A coward who don't want to help at instance other think its a demon. Nothing more.

And I judged the last clip only because you INSISTED! Thanks for making me repeat things again.

You make it sound as if the Pocket Monsters anime as it is now is some deep form of entertainment that constantly tackles different human perspectives in its episodic format.

I would love watching Satoshi learn the value of friendship, that you have to make up with your friends after arguing in every region, because that's totally different every time that happens. I would love watching Satoshi learn the importance of following your dreams from a CoTD because that's totally subject matter that should be explored more than once for the same character that's already passionate about his dreams. They should totally produce episodes where Satoshi learns that [x] farmer does [x] with [x] Pokemon to supply [x] region with goods again and again. Because I totally want to watch that as opposed to a larger action-packed plot arc concerning the main antagonists from the games or develop the characters in more significant ways. Screw intricate battles, screw engaging stories, I want to watch the characters eat out in the forest and get their food stolen for the umpteenth time from some asshole forest Pokemon.

See, what I don't get is this: you have said that you wished for the Pocket Monsters anime, as it is, to change its writing style. But then you go and defend its writing style, implying you wish for it to stay the same and that it's fine. Which side are you on?

I would love the writing to step up. But once again, its my personal opinion. The whole argument is there is a different point of view, adn the writer may think that they stepped the lesson up..... (Did I already explained in the last post? I think so)

If they keep Satoshi as the only main character in the anime, which will go on for long as the games will go on, and if they develop him without resetting him at all, what will they do once he reached his threshold? Reset him again? Keep him static? That pretty much = the same problem we have with the anime now."

Pokemon Anime has ever been about bonding with your Pokemon. Ash will never catch any Legendary Pokemon, Ash will train his Pokemon to be as strong as them. That will no doubt be a long journey. SO don't worry about Ash throwing a galaxy at Giovanni, because it will not happen. And Ash uses new Pokemon at new region, if the writers manages to keep Ash's ability as a trainer, and making him handle the new Pokemon with some skill, there will still be a probability that he lost due to the Pokemons are still new to him. He will never become as overpower as any of the characters you just mentioned. So if I can make them do anything, I will make them reset everyone but Ash, I will appreciate it.

......I am repeating again!

Dude... have you ever been exposed to any Pocket Monsters adaptations besides the anime? Not saying you're some plebeian for *not*, but it's pretty crucial to discussing that kind of thing properly. There are plenty of manga series that successfully do their own thing like the anime (Pocket Monsters the gag manga being the most popular on-going example). And then we have the story-driven Pocket Monsters Special manga, that manages to showcase a bunch of stuff from the games without reusing the same badge quests every single time and each saga feels different from the last. And it's still on-going after 17 years, just like the anime. And switches protagonists, with new stories for each and every generation. Their equivalent of the anime's Satoshi (Red), and other older characters make appearances in later chapters from time-to-time even after their stories ended. The same could easily be done in animated form.

I am sorry, but I love Pokemon Special way more than the Anime.

Their telling of story is different, but then, and yet, no one realize that Red's story is bland without Team Rocket being murderous and finghting Green in the Finals of the Pokemon League. All manga after that is good because there are SEVERAL protagonists. They can use different personality and reaction on different situations.

Easy, because I haven't watch this, doesn't mean that I haven't watch every others, once again you are the one misinterpreting.

So you've watched plenty of the Macross series, Gundam series, and Digimon series? Zoids too + every other series I've mentioned? How are those more mature than Pocket Monsters then? What would Pocket Monsters benefit from incorporating their style of writing into its anime?

I'd love to hear your insightful opinions.

I thought I already made it clear that winning this argument don't win you anything, but you insist. Well, enjoy your off topic win because I am tired to argue that.

I don't really care about losing the argument if you manage to prove me wrong. I wouldn't throw a fit over it.

Plus, if you're tired of it, you should have stopped replying a long time ago. I, on the other hand, am bored out of my mind and would love a great discussion as long as everyone is open-minded and civil. BMGf's a cool place for that.

Okay, I AM the IDIOT, I don't have sufficient knowledge blah blah blah. Normal people don't do rating of the content they read/watch.
You realize that you're the one that brought up ratings in the first place and insisted that you do all of it in your head, right?

1) You are outright attacking me.

And dude, chill a little. I wasn't attacking you. I was just saying you shouldn't talk about shows you've never watched.

2) Who says I am normal? This is the internet! I'd rather anyone assume that I am a psychopath rather than saying I am an idiot! I am a psychopath so I rate the contents. PROBLEMS?

You do a pretty good job of not coming across as both. No problems here.

This clip is nothing more than a useless joke. A coward who don't want to help at instance other think its a demon. Nothing more.

lol Okay. So... Pokemon then?

Kidding. Sort of.

And I judged the last clip only because you INSISTED! Thanks for making me repeat things again.

I wasn't really insisting you do anything. I was being a snarky jackass, and I uh, cut that crap after Pokemaster97 told us to be civil.

Plus, you could have just said: "Oh, I've never watched a show from this franchise before" when Crystal and I started mentioning it. But you either didn't do that or imply you did ("all of those shows you listed are more mature than Pokemon").

I would love the writing to step up. But once again, its my personal opinion. The whole argument is there is a different point of view, adn the writer may think that they stepped the lesson up..... (Did I already explained in the last post? I think so)

And this thread is about whether or not you'd want a revamp of the anime. People who say yes basically don't necessarily care what the anime writers currently think is "good" because this revamp would hypothetically be a new show. You seem to be undecided whether or not you're A-OK with what the writers currently do by jumping back and fourth (much like Satoshi's character development).

OMG......I am repeating again!

Kind of irritating, isn't it?

But the point is, is there really so much things for Ash to do continuously for 17 years, even if the Pokemon anime does incorporate continuity into its show?

FANG-TAN said:
You're missing my point. There's a limit to how much one character can progress in strength. If they keep going on forever and progress, without ANY resets, that's where it will eventually come to. What are they going to do then?

The only difference between this and the other franchises is that the Pocket Monsters anime is hindered by having ONE protagonist for one, very long and drawn-out narrative that is not planned to end. EVER. So we're going to either have the main protagonist be stagnant, reset, or repeat the same experiences he's went through in the past because there's only so much you can do with one character over the course of forever.

You can never have an action series like that when you don't intend on ending the protagonist's story ever. Akira Toriyama's original Dragon Ball manga ended at the point where several of the characters became capable of destroying planets consecutively. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann ended when the Gurren Lagann became big enough to hurl galaxies at the friggin'' Spiral-Nemesis. DC and Marvel reboot their crap every few years, hence you have hundreds of continuities in those, not just one gigantic cluster of a story (American comic book writing isn't known to be consistently good anyway, it's the cartoon adaptations that are lauded for making anything cohesive out of them).

What's Satoshi going to do for the rest of eternity after he tames Arceus and makes it his b-i-t-c-h? What, are they going to pull a "oh, last episode I had all of this power, but now I'm just a normal rookie again?" Seriously what? There's an expression called "beating a dead horse" and an expression called "overkill". That happens to be both. Keeping him around will work for a long series, but it has to end eventually or else it'll still feel as dragged-on as the anime is now, just terribly more noticeable if they're going for the "progression in power" approach.

I feel ya.

I am sorry, but I love Pokemon Special way more than the Anime.

Wait, so why are you arguing against me wanting the anime to follow Pocket Monsters Special's structure, then?

Their telling of story is different, but then, and yet, no one realize that Red's story is bland without Team Rocket being murderous and finghting Green in the Finals of the Pokemon League. All manga after that is good because there are SEVERAL protagonists. They can use different personality and reaction on different situations.
So uh, we agree that the Special manga is good. Cool. See ya.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom