• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would've Dawn's skirt been lengthened if 4kids dubbed DP?

Would Dawn's skirt be lengthened if 4kids still dubbed the show?

• Yes (Please specify if possible)

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No (Please specify if possible)

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters
The only scene that they should ever to think of possibly editing is this one:

There's also her introductory scene:
derply.jpg

Speaking of butt shots, Cabernet and Hikari did showed their butts to camera too.
(if we keep on talking about other girls' skirts in the show, I'll change the topic and title for every girl instead of just Dawn)
I would like a thread where we can talk about Dent's hips too though.

This is like the most lulziest discussion ever like you wouldn't believe.

Probably.

They did it a couple of times with Jessie, and it's just what I'd expect from 4Kids.

Also, to the ones who said they found a skirt that short inappropriate on a 10-year-old, I've heard (not completely sure) that in Japan wearing short skirts isn't much of a big deal. It's a bigger deal if too much cleavage is showing. Now, like I said, I'm not sure about this, but it would explain a lot of the outfits on the show.

i could see dawn getting a longer skirt if 4kids dubbed DP. I dont think it is quite appropriate for a ten year old to wear that short of a skirt but that is me.

Yea they would because these guys actually stopped and thought about the length, I mean seriously, I don't want to see any character's underwear...

No, I don't think so. Lady Berlitz's skirt was around the same length as hers as well. The only thing about Platinum's outfit is that her socks were higer than Dawn's. I wished they could have atleast did that for the poor girl. It just seemed like her boots were the only thing covering her legs at the time when her socks seemed like they were shrinking.

I think they would have for the first season or so of Diamond and Pearl. But, in the same fashion the Japanese producers phased out Japanese writing and onigiri after countless 4Kids edits, the Japanese animators would have pre-censored the show for 4Kids by lengthening Hikari's skirt or giving her a new outfit for the Japanese version too.

I remember when DP1 aired way back in 2006, everyone talked about how dangerously close Dawn's skirt came to exposing her...especially in that very first episode. Is it just me in DP1 was Dawn's skirt at its absolute shortest? There are scenes when she's riding the bicycle or falling on the ground after being attacked by Ariados where the camera actually zooms in on her from very odd angles.

They even made a joke about it in the Princess Salvia episode in the ep where she gets Togekiss. Perhaps they would have extended it.

I wish Dawn's skirt was lengthier, period. >n> No point for it to be so short other blatant, disgusting, lolicon fanservice. If 4Kids had dubbed DP and made Dawn's skirt longer, that would be the only change of theirs I'd approve of.

I've never understood the fandom's problem with Hikari's skirt size. It's short, yes, but it's not like the TV series ever sexualized the character or anything like that.

I think 4Kids would have maybe edited her skirt in a few scenes here and there, but I think that, for the most part, they would have left it alone. Like others have said, they didn't edit Kasumi's shorts and only edited Musashi's skirt a few times (and even then they were really inconsistent with what they considered "too short"), so I think Hikari would have been fine.

Why are people bringing up Misty's shorts? I've never viewed Misty's shorts as, "short" even when I was a kid. That's actually how most girls wear their shorts. Do you not see what girls wear outside?

Dawn's skirt was definitely a lot more risque, you could tell especially the animators had trouble everytime Dawn squatted down to talk to her pokemon or fell over. You don't have that problem with other female designs.

No girl in real life(at least from what I saw in Malta) wears something so short. I've been to teen parties where girls wear the shortest of skirts, and nobody wore a skirt as short as Dawn's. They wore skirts, yes, but not so... short xD. I asked my sister and she told me that wearing such a skirt would be embarrassing.

Oh and do you guys remember the infamous butt scene?(it was posted in the captions thread some time ago and it didn't get removed, so I think it's okay to post here as well)

Dawn's Butt:
pokemon-fail_c_546767.jpg

There's just no way that 4kids wouldn't have edited that.

Oh and do you guys remember the infamous butt scene?
Ownsquint.png
Ok, I don't think I've seen that until just now.

I honestly have no idea if they would have changed her skirt (or added leggings), but I can't help wondering about what MizuTaipu said:
I think they would have for the first season or so of Diamond and Pearl. But, in the same fashion the Japanese producers phased out Japanese writing and onigiri after countless 4Kids edits, the Japanese animators would have pre-censored the show for 4Kids by lengthening Hikari's skirt or giving her a new outfit for the Japanese version too.

I also think she looks older than 10, I mean DP ash was implied to be older than 10 years old and she was the same height as Ash was.

Regarding that pic, its just her legs being moved in a marching fashion that gives you impression that the "line" is her backside, when in reality its just her leg being lifted up.

Regarding that pic, its just her legs being moved in a marching fashion that gives you impression that the "line" is her backside, when in reality its just her leg being lifted up.

well the butt itself is just an extension of the legs that goes up and makes a butted shape around the pelvic region.

pretty much the end problem is from the animators being kinda lazy.

on Topic, yeah, it would have been extended(if only for the scene above at least) but this an edit I would have lived with. at least it's not total overkill like in Viz's infamous edits to female outfits/cleavage/bust sizes in the Early Pokemon Manga.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom