• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Would've Dawn's skirt been lengthened if 4kids dubbed DP?

Would Dawn's skirt be lengthened if 4kids still dubbed the show?

• Yes (Please specify if possible)

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No (Please specify if possible)

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

HumanDawn

Living the rich life
Reaction score
Something that struck my mind as I saw the increase in length of Tori Meadow's pink skirt from the Japanese dub to the English dub was if 4kids still dubbed the show, would they have lengthened Dawn's short pink skirt too if they dubbed DP? It wouldn't be a huge stretch if they did. Think about it guys. We're talking about 4kids here, who make small and pointless cleavage edits:(courtesy of @Dogasu;)

Japanese
ep144_cleavagej_small.jpg

English
ep144_cleavagee_small.jpg

It's possible that they would have edited her skirt like this:

dawnskirtdifference.png

And her maid outfit from this:

294px-Dawn_Maid_Outfit.png

To this:

dawnskirtlength.png

What do you think guys?

Last edited:
Considering how in AG, they started editing Jessie's skirt during some moments, and their really ridiculous edits in AG, I could see it happening.

Would I be surprised if they did edit it? Not at all.

Would I care? Not really.

Then again, Dawn's ten. A skirt that short kinda creeps me out....

I doubt that even 4Kids would go to such extreme lengths to edit Dawn like that.

(God, I never understood why they changed her sleeves. Is exposed arm skin gonna corrupt children? The pants, while being stupid, I could understand them censoring.)

Last edited:
I can understand the cleavage thing, but the skirt isn't showing anything so them editing it wouldn't surprise me. They don't even allow Ash to call Misty fat, instead they edit it to something that is completely opposite from what was said

I doubt that even 4Kids would go to such extreme lengths to edit Dawn like that.

(God, I never understood why they changed her sleeves. Is exposed arm skin gonna corrupt children? The pants, while being stupid, I could understand them censoring.)

I prefer the design used in the Pokemon Learning League over the official one. If the animators decided to change her a bit later on, we wouldn't have gotten scenes like these:

Dawnpanties.jpeg

What I wonder is more how they would handle Langley's skirt

The only scene that they should ever to think of possibly editing is this one:

13327210170051.jpg

(if we keep on talking about other girls' skirts in the show, I'll change the topic and title for every girl instead of just Dawn)

Kamitsure's BDSM outfit

I wouldn't put it past them to cut that part out.

Last edited:
I'm not sure... That'd surely get rather tiring considering that they'll have to do if for nearly every episode in DP (except for those where she wears dresses and other shit), but I really wouldn't be surprised if they did. I wouldn't care either way, although I personally felt like it was really inappropirate for a 10-year old to wear something that short, but I guess they're just following the games' example. I mean, pretty much every female hero except Mei wear short pants/skirt.

Last edited:
I'm not sure... That'd surely get rather tiring considering that they'll have to do if for nearly every episode in DP (except for those where she wears dresses and other shit), but I really wouldn't be surprised if they did. I wouldn't care either way, although I personally felt like it was really inappropirate for a 10-year old to wear something that short, but I guess they're just following the games' example. I mean, pretty much every female hero except Mei wear short pants/skirt.

That's true, but they don't have an "opening"(other than Leaf, but that's mostly because Dawn's her colour pallete swapped version) to see what's under them like Dawn does with her skirt. Something I forgot to mention was that Tori Meadows appears in every single episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, making her skirt be lengthened in every scene it's in.

EDIT: Oh and Tori gets an average of 25% screen time per episode.

Last edited:

That's true, but they don't have an "opening" to see what's under them like Dawn does with her skirt. Something I forgot to mention was that Tori Meadows appears in every single episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, making her skirt be lengthened in every scene it's in.

Oh, really? I don't watch the series, so I didn't know. ^^;
Hm... Then I guess it would be possible after all.

4kids never flattened May's boobs, so why would they shorten Dawn's skirt?

If I recall weren't their paint edits in another dub where 4kids actually reduced the breast size on one of the character? Instead they (thankfully) left May's boobs alone.

4kids never flattened May's boobs, so why would they shorten Dawn's skirt?

If I recall weren't their paint edits in another dub where 4kids actually reduced the breast size on one of the character? Instead they (thankfully) left May's boobs alone.

What are you talking about? Jessie's breasts are bigger than May's. Why don't they flatten or decrease hers? Jessie did have some increased skirt scenes:

Japanese
skirt_j.jpg

English
skirt_u.jpg

Which makes me think that they would do the same with Dawn.

I would say that's unlikely, because it's highly expensive and unnecessary for 4Kids. But after seeing Tori Madows, I dunno...

I prefer the design used in the Pokemon Learning League over the official one. If the animators decided to change her a bit later on, we wouldn't have gotten scenes like these:

Her design is not the one to blame. Animators easily could use a different camera angle...

Last edited:
they would for sure edit Dawn's outfits for sure and I am glad after the hoenn region that 4kids lost there rights to dubbing cause they where like the worst at dubbing and they even did more than just dubbing

Probably would've done the same thing they did for that Yu-Gi-Oh chick.

This here is the kind of thing that makes me thank Arceus we're rid of them (I shudder to think of how they would've ruined Hunter J :scared:. Hell, OLM probably wouldn't have even had the nerve to make her in the first place with them still in charge!)

sorry i ment to quote someone's post

That's not the problem.

The thread topic asks if 4Kids would have lengthened Dawn's skirt if they dubbed the Diamond and Pearl saga while you posted just to say that Misty's short shorts were cute. That has nothing to do with the topic, which is the problem.

I would say that's unlikely, because it's highly expensive and unnecessary for 4Kids. But after seeing Tori Madows, I dunno...
Tell that to all the other costly and unnecessary edits made by 4Kids :p

Her design have nothing to do with this scene. Animators easily could use a different camera angle.

Yet they strangely didn't do that. If the design had more coverage while still remaining faithful to the original, Dawn wouldn't have that many odd scenes. Her skirt wouldn't be so gravity defying too, giving the animators an easier time.

MistyEP.png

They didn't edit Misty's short-shorts.

... because they're short-shorts, not an extremely short skirt xD

The amount of leg shown isn't the problem. The fear of wearing clothing that does not properly cover what's under is the problem to 4kids.

they would for sure edit Dawn's outfits for sure and I am glad after the hoenn region that 4kids lost there rights to dubbing cause they where like the worst at dubbing and they even did more than just dubbing

I'm pretty sure that her outfits wouldn't have been edited since there's nothing exploitable.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom