• NMLewis challenges his second Gym Leader. Watch here as he explores a partially lit cave and challenges some trainers on the beach.

"Wow, I was an IDIOT!" moments

Nuzlocke Lover
Reaction score
I had no idea what EVs were during my second playthrough of Emerald. Ended up giving all my Pokémon 10-15 of each vitamin.

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
Absentmindedly going through Vast Poni Canyon while doing other things on my computer and came across a shiny Golbat. Hit run and then realized my mistake.

In Silver version, only leveled up my Feraligatr through the entire Johto region, and thought Rage was the best move ever. Quit when Rage didn't OHKO Will's Exeggcutor. My Feraligatr was level 72. (Then I lost the cartridge so I never got to go back and finish.)

god of the Longbow!
Reaction score
Not going to lie, in 1999 I played a friends copy of Pokémon Red. I've been hooked ever since.

Lovely
Reaction score
There's a chat system for trade. I never realized it was available before.

On the bottom right side of the screen where you pick your pokemon to show the trader, there's a speech bubble button and it has a selection of speeches including "show me something else" and "I don't have anymore to trade"

Was it always there...??

Reaction score
I think this tends to happen with everyone who started with GSC, but naming the rival "???" on accident because I thought the police officer was literally asking for the guys name and not....naming him....
(Now the investigation can never go forward! He doesn't even have a name!)

Reaction score
(Tapu Koko is Asleep and at about 5% HP)
Selene used an Ultra Ball!
*shake*...*Tapu Koko cry*
Aww! It appeared to be caught!

Me: WTF? I thought they made legendaries much easier to catch these last few generations. (looks up catch rates on Bulbapedia) Great, I KNEW I shouldn't have wasted my Master Ball on Lunala...

Reaction score
I can't remember if this really happened or if I dreamed it ... but I'm like 60% sure during one of my first playthroughs of Sapphire, I saw that my Mudkip was magenta, and restarted the game because I hated the colour and wanted a blue one. I'm praying it was just a dream. orz

Also:
  • recently used a normal attack on a ghost type, forgetting what types were at play. Then did it again because I misread "had no effect" as "missed"
  • constantly accidentally tapping the pokepelago button when I mean to press the save button...and having to waste time waiting for the charizard animation to finish. "Hi, Mohn. Bye, Mohn."
  • thinking I'm being clever by swapping a pokemon out so another can wall the incoming attack ... only to remember the second mon has a type disadvantage.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
This moment isn't so much of a battle/meta/gameplay event, but rather a concept. For the longest time I couldn't quite figure out the entire concept behind Drampa. Yeah, sure, I know about the movie/book that its design takes a page from, but still that didn't seem like a total fit to me. Why would they create a Chinese-like dragon that looked like an elderly person? Then I learned something interesting: in Chinese mythology, dragons adored the elderly. Suddenly, the cogs in my mind went CLICK. It finally hit me. Drampa has some possible roots based off of the Chinese mythos regarding dragons and the elderly, hence it's appearance and nature. I couldn't believe I never thought of that before. And I learned this bit of trivia from one of the oddest, and yet surprisingly accurate, source: Xiaolin Showdown, courtesy of Dojo's interactions with Master Fung. Heh, who've thought that quirky shape-shifting dragon would help me connect the dots on a Pokemon's possible origins that had baffled me for a long time. *shrugs*

Likes cute Pokemon
Reaction score
Earlier this year when playing Pokemon Platinum, I planted berries in towns so it's easy to get back to them and harvest them when they're ready. I kept on wondering why they're vanishing a few days after planting them until I remembered that they vanish if you don't harvest them as soon as they're ready before generation 6.

'Eh, What's up Doc?
Reaction score
After about ten years, I just learned I had been pronouncing "Sceptile" wrong. I had been saying skep-tile, rather than cep-tile.

Ten years.

OBEY THE BEARD
Reaction score
After about ten years, I just learned I had been pronouncing "Sceptile" wrong. I had been saying skep-tile, rather than cep-tile.

Ten years.
I pronounce it "Skeptile" on purpose, even though I know the sc- is supposed to make a long S sound. It probably comes from the fact that I started pronouncing scissors as "skissors" on purpose most of the time.

Actually Your Boy Guzma
Reaction score
I had no idea what EVs were during my second playthrough of Emerald. Ended up giving all my Pokémon 10-15 of each vitamin.
I did the exact same thing in Gen V >_> I only just started caring about natures in Gen V, but it took until Gen VI that I finally grasped EVs.

Reaction score
I wanted a shiny Lucario, so I placed a male Buneary and a female Riolu in the Day Care.