• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Wow, I was an IDIOT!" moments

I had decided to make a team of level 1 magikarps to battle with one of my friends as a joke. Then I forgot I still had a team of magikarp and challenged.the gym. Not good.

Back in the day, I caught a Electrode with a Masterball, just to examine how guaranteed "guaranteed" actually was. Needless to say, I was a strange boy then xD

One time in Pokemon Sapphire, i found an item ball. However, my bag was full. So I decided to toss out an item that I saw in the description only worked on one Pokemon. That item? A light ball.

I was messing around Cerulean Cave in a friend's LeafG, when a shiny Golbat appeared, I thought the game glitched or something, and freaked out. I killed it and proceed to tell my friend "dood ur game dosen't work lol green golbat wtf!", and got the appropriate response. This was a time I wasn't so much into Pokemon mind you.

Years later found another shiny Golbat outside Mt. Silver on HG, only this time I caught it!:D

I was chaining for shiny Beldum with the Poké Radar, and my chain had reached 40. "Hey, is that one of those shiny patches?"

It wasn't.

It broke my chain, too.

In X, I had no idea how to get down from the cliffs on Route 8 and thought that pit with the weird looking stones was just there to block you. I ran around for nearly twenty minutes...until I accidentally hopped on one of the round rocks.

Man, I am stupid sometimes.

In Y, I spent close to three hours in Terminus Cave trying to get to the exit to the next town before I realized there were stairs right in front of its entrance. Which I had passed several times.

Did lots of training though, so it's not complete waste of time

-When I was 7, I encountered a Shiny, but I had no idea what is was.
-Picking the grass starter in Black/White.
-Dropping my DS after a Gym Battle, and the screen froze.
-Playing Pokemon at my 7th or 8th birthday party. I had to redo those battles. D:
-When I was 7, I messed around with my PC Box, and I ended up sending half my team back into the wild. I hated myself for like a month. But now, my Level 70 Roserade can take down an Infernape easily, and my cousin traded for an Infernape!
-Yesterday, I spent 20 minutes looking for an exit to the Lighthouse in Heartgold.
-Forgetting that where I am in Pokemon Heartgold, Team Rocket pays 1,000 dollars to get into the Lake of Rage. And I went there when I was low on money.
-I put my name in Pokemon Pearl in caps. (So when I talk to someone, it's like: Hi, EMILY! Want a cookie, EMILY?
-Going to the Spear Pillar with no Potions or Pokeballs.

Last edited:
I killed a wild shiny Pokémon on purpose. Dx

It was the red Gyarados on G/S (can't remember which version). I was getting annoyed by the whole thing and I thought I was supposed to make him faint so I did. It only crossed my mind later that I wouldn't have another chance to capture him.

Alright, so it wasn't entirely on purpose, but it still made me facepalm.

I didn't know that I had to get the Machine Part in Cerulean City Gym in Pokemon Silver, because I skipped the texts like an idiot. It took me 3 weeks to finally progress with the story, after someone told me what to do.

• When I first played Gold, in 2001, it took me a long time to get past Route 29.
  • Also in Gold, I saved having fainted Ho-oh and...
  • ...wasted the Master Ball on a Doduo at Route 26. It wasn't even shiny. :p
  • I have had a history of using the starting Pokémon almost exclusively in most battles. I try to do this less often now, but due to laziness, my parties still often end up with lop-sided levels.

For the longest time I kept thinking that Psychic types are strong against Dark types, then moments later I find that my Musharna keeps getting its ass kicked by Liepard for a good reason XD

It does happen sometimes because I keep forgetting but now I learned my lesson XD Dark > Psychic.

I first joined the Pokémon fandom when BW came out and I was probably one of the stupidest trainers.
The only Pokémon I actually trained was a Samurott that only knew water type moves. So I battled a fisherman who only had level 40 Jellicent and that had Water Absorb. Samurott was on like level 50 while everyone was like 17.
You dont know how long it took to loose that battle.

Oh and I traded a SHINY KINGLER FOR A FRIGGEN PIGNITE

Same thing happened to me in Diamond. It was my first Pokemon game and the only pokemon I trained was Piplup. So by the time I got to the Elite 4 Empoleon was at 74, Staraptor was at 36 and everyone else was like...below 20. Plus I had Dialga (that I caught with a Master Ball XD) at level 50.

I'm surprised I managed to win any of those battles but Emopleon's Surf just swept everyone away ^^'

Last edited:
For the longest time I kept thinking that Psychic types are strong against Dark types, then moments later I find that my Musharna keeps getting its ass kicked by Liepard for a good reason XD

It does happen sometimes because I keep forgetting but now I learned my lesson XD Dark > Psychic.

I first joined the Pokémon fandom when BW came out and I was probably one of the stupidest trainers.
The only Pokémon I actually trained was a Samurott that only knew water type moves. So I battled a fisherman who only had level 40 Jellicent and that had Water Absorb. Samurott was on like level 50 while everyone was like 17.
You dont know how long it took to loose that battle.

Oh and I traded a SHINY KINGLER FOR A FRIGGEN PIGNITE

Same thing happened to me in Diamond. It was my first Pokemon game and the only pokemon I trained was Piplup. So by the time I got to the Elite 4 Empoleon was at 74, Staraptor was at 36 and everyone else was like...below 20. Plus I had Dialga (that I caught with a Master Ball XD) at level 50.

I'm surprised I managed to win any of those battles but Emopleon's Surf just swept everyone away ^^'

haha XD

This one time I was playing Pearl and I wasted all my TM's because I didn't which move to use to move those boulders in Mt. Corenet.

I was stuck in Slateport and couldn't figure out how to progress for the longest time in Emerald...I didn't realize the bike path is above you, I thought you couldn't go past it and I never even tried. It really annoyed me that the lady wouldn't let me pass without a bike and I had no idea where else to go until I was watching my friend play and he just walked right under the bike path.

I, too, fell victim to the beginning trainer error of training only your starter. Typhlosion killed everything, but I had a full party of one level 70 'mon and five level 20 'mons :p

I had 2 rayquazas in Gen 3. I used them together in Coloseum's battlemountain (or whatever), teaching them different moves to cover as much as possible for SE damage.

One I tought Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Dragon Claw (iirc)
The second one, among other things, Solarbeam and Sunny Day.

Try and spot the flaw in my plan.

I used a Dragon type move against Klefki and Gardevoir when challenging the Elite 4... Once a nub, always a nub. :p

I was stuck in Slateport and couldn't figure out how to progress for the longest time in Emerald...I didn't realize the bike path is above you, I thought you couldn't go past it and I never even tried. It really annoyed me that the lady wouldn't let me pass without a bike and I had no idea where else to go until I was watching my friend play and he just walked right under the bike path.

Oh my gosh, I was about to post something very similar! I realised that you could continue up the route, but at one point the cycle path crosses over the grass route and it never occured to me that you could go underneath. I spent days trying to find out what to do - first looking for the bike, and then deducing that the little bit of water (the shortcut to the Oldale Town beach thing) was the way to go, so I went all the way back to the start trying to find Surf.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom