• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Wow, I was an IDIOT!" moments

One time on online battle, I was facing a Charizard X with Swanna and lost. What was the matter? I had ice beam as a move and didn't remember to use it.

I don't see any mistake. Mega Charizard X is neutral to both Water and Ice.

"Why nobody told me Helioptile evolves with a Sun Stone???"

Thus, the true idiot moment when I realize this guy is right...

I decided to continue my shiny Cranidos hunt in Gen6 and placed a foreign Brave Larvitar and a native Cranidos with a perfect attack IV in the Day-Care. That way, when I get a shiny Cranidos, it would be Brave with perfect attack. I received about 10 eggs or so from the Day-Care man, and hatched them one by one.

I was confused at first to see that they were all Larvitars, but then I face-palmed:

The Larvitar was female, and the Cranidos was male.

I was so stupid D: After breeding using only Dittos, I had forgotten that only the female species are born as the offspring...

A while ago my brain glitched out for a while during an online match. The opponent send out this big scary, Hydreigon. I decide to switch and think something along the lines of: "Dark doesn't affect psychic. Espeon. Go!"
Espeon comes out of his pokeball.
My brain cells start reconnecting.
"Waaaait a minute..."

In 2010 I was using the Poké Radar to try and catch a Beldum in Platinum. I ran from anything that was the wrong shape and in the process I managed to run away from a shiny Hippowdon. -___-

I often forget that some Pokemon have been retconned to part fairy and use a move that's super effective against them-only, it isn't, because their new fairy type neutralizes it (i.e. dark moves on Mr. Mime).

While Wonderlocking, I lost my Dratini to Trevor's Flabébé. I really need to get used to Fairy types.

Trying to breed HA Espurr and neglected the Destiny Knot and Everstone. :banghead:

Let's see:

Making a Pikachu forget his only stab move in yellow.
Using my super slow Jigglypuff to try to knock a wild abra to sleep in Leafgreen
and using a master ball on a shellder in Gold.

I had 2 rayquazas in Gen 3. I used them together in Coloseum's battlemountain (or whatever), teaching them different moves to cover as much as possible for SE damage.

One I tought Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Dragon Claw (iirc)
The second one, among other things, Solarbeam and Sunny Day.

Try and spot the flaw in my plan.

LOL Sunny Day. I gotcha.

I always wondered why my pokemon were so strong compared to others of the same species ive had before then i learned about evs and ivs

I spent hours training an Exploud to level 85 to learn Boomburst. It didn't occur to me that the move tutor might have been able to help until somewhere around level 82, 83.

Good thing I've always liked Exploud. Yeesh.

Among the also-rans are letting a shiny Smeargle struggle itself to death, (no master balls, high level pokemon at the top of the party, it had nothing to sketch so I only had a handful of throws) and trading my starter for a friend's Grimer in my first ever game of Pokémon Red. It didn't obey me so I ended up catching a Drowzee to fill the Ivysaur shaped hole. In fairness, given how well-off Psychic pokemon were in Pokémon Red, Hypno was a pretty darned solid substitute.

Last edited:
My first game ever (leaf-green) I ran from a shiny tents cool because his gem was green and I thought leaf GREEN. So I thought it was version exclusive.

In Pokemon R/S, I was giving my Water starter three HM moves. It was far too early in the game and ended up costing me a lot of resets. I sure learned not to do that again.

When breeding for Noibat, I kept getting Lonely instead of Modest. Turns out I gave the Everstone to the wrong parent...

Trading away my shiny Vanillite on GTS Negotiations in Black/White. I can't remember what I got for it, I think it was an Oshawott, but I still regret it to this day.

Wasn't really paying attention in pokemon white and a new pokemon turned up so i defeated it then found another one and realised the first one i saw was shiny

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom