• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

"Wow, I was an IDIOT!" moments

Not going to lie, in 1999 I played a friends copy of Pokémon Red. I've been hooked ever since.

There's a chat system for trade. I never realized it was available before.

On the bottom right side of the screen where you pick your pokemon to show the trader, there's a speech bubble button and it has a selection of speeches including "show me something else" and "I don't have anymore to trade"

Was it always there...??

I think this tends to happen with everyone who started with GSC, but naming the rival "???" on accident because I thought the police officer was literally asking for the guys name and not....naming him....
(Now the investigation can never go forward! He doesn't even have a name!)

(Tapu Koko is Asleep and at about 5% HP)
Selene used an Ultra Ball!
*shake*...*Tapu Koko cry*
Aww! It appeared to be caught!

Me: WTF? I thought they made legendaries much easier to catch these last few generations. (looks up catch rates on Bulbapedia) Great, I KNEW I shouldn't have wasted my Master Ball on Lunala...

I can't remember if this really happened or if I dreamed it ... but I'm like 60% sure during one of my first playthroughs of Sapphire, I saw that my Mudkip was magenta, and restarted the game because I hated the colour and wanted a blue one. I'm praying it was just a dream. orz

Also:
  • recently used a normal attack on a ghost type, forgetting what types were at play. Then did it again because I misread "had no effect" as "missed"
  • constantly accidentally tapping the pokepelago button when I mean to press the save button...and having to waste time waiting for the charizard animation to finish. "Hi, Mohn. Bye, Mohn."
  • thinking I'm being clever by swapping a pokemon out so another can wall the incoming attack ... only to remember the second mon has a type disadvantage.

This moment isn't so much of a battle/meta/gameplay event, but rather a concept. For the longest time I couldn't quite figure out the entire concept behind Drampa. Yeah, sure, I know about the movie/book that its design takes a page from, but still that didn't seem like a total fit to me. Why would they create a Chinese-like dragon that looked like an elderly person? Then I learned something interesting: in Chinese mythology, dragons adored the elderly. Suddenly, the cogs in my mind went CLICK. It finally hit me. Drampa has some possible roots based off of the Chinese mythos regarding dragons and the elderly, hence it's appearance and nature. I couldn't believe I never thought of that before. And I learned this bit of trivia from one of the oddest, and yet surprisingly accurate, source: Xiaolin Showdown, courtesy of Dojo's interactions with Master Fung. Heh, who've thought that quirky shape-shifting dragon would help me connect the dots on a Pokemon's possible origins that had baffled me for a long time. *shrugs*

Earlier this year when playing Pokemon Platinum, I planted berries in towns so it's easy to get back to them and harvest them when they're ready. I kept on wondering why they're vanishing a few days after planting them until I remembered that they vanish if you don't harvest them as soon as they're ready before generation 6.

After about ten years, I just learned I had been pronouncing "Sceptile" wrong. I had been saying skep-tile, rather than cep-tile.

Ten years.

I pronounce it "Skeptile" on purpose, even though I know the sc- is supposed to make a long S sound. It probably comes from the fact that I started pronouncing scissors as "skissors" on purpose most of the time.

I wanted a shiny Lucario, so I placed a male Buneary and a female Riolu in the Day Care.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom