• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DISCUSSION: Writer's Block, and How to Overcome it

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
We all have to face it at some point--writer's block. No matter how you research, look around for inspiration or try to write, nothing comes. What are some ways you've overcome it?

Some of the best ways that work for me is to work on something else, or just walk away from the blocked story for a little bit.

I just looked to see if I could find the old version of this. It was from me, and the title is pretty much the exact same as the one you gave this thread. That is very much a strange coincidence.

I can think of two ways. One of them would be to edit some other story I’m working on. Though, this trait applies to me quite a bit as I really enjoy editing. Another good strategy is to work on something that’s just for fun. Another way to do it is to write later scenes in the story and skip the scene that’s blocking you.

@LightningTopaz
Sorry for the double post, but here is something that I learned regarding character development, specifically concerning Flat Characters: The amount of characterization that a character gets should be proportional to their role in the story.

If they are the main character, then yeah, it makes sense to not have them be a flat character. If the person's role is simple to deliver the letter that sends the main character on their journey and is never seen or mentioned again, then them not having anything at all is fine. Their dad being a retired superhero does not need to be known if that fact is never brought up again.

Now that is for novels. In short stories, I imagine that flat characters are better since you don't have that much room for too much characterization (depending on the number of characters, of course).

Edit: I know this post is not really relevant to this thread, but I think this could play a part in Writer's Block.

• Staff
If your idea well is running dry, try these:

--Pick a country somewhere in the world. If it's not a Pokemon region yet, Pokemonize it! If it is a Pokemon region already, how would you expand it to include more of its real world inspiration?

--Treat your main cast as classic Disney characters--pick some characters and put them in everyday situations besides adventuring.

--Do the above, but in an ancient, fantasy, or even futuristic time

--Work on something else

--Watch/read/play something

--Watch/read/play something outside your preferred genre

I wish I had a good answer for this :p

I admittedly don't write fiction very often, but when I do try to, I always struggle with writer's block quite a lot. I think the biggest thing I've noticed is how much the time of day seems to matter when I try to write. I've kinda just accepted that if it's not late at night, I'm not gonna be able to do anything creative. I'm not really sure why exactly.

I've also found that listening to music can help, somewhat. Music that doesn't require much attention to listen to and can be played on repeat without getting annoying. Like minimal techno or ambient tracks, or sometimes video game music.

I usually don't have much trouble coming up with themes and motifs that I want my writing to focus on or thinking about how touch upon them subtly without making it feel too forced. Coming up with an interesting plot is always the hard part for me. I think it can be hard to make the plot interesting without making it overly complex and hard to follow. Or introducing significant events that the reader wouldn't obviously expect to happen without making them seem like they come out of nowhere.

I've also found that reading other material that's somewhat dense/boring can cause my mind to wander, sometimes in the direction of coming up with my own story, if that makes sense.

Writer's block... always a tough one.

Whenever I get it, I like to take a step back from writing for a bit, and just do something else, carrying a notebook around with me. Then, if an idea hits, I write it down, and by the time I get back to writing, I have a new state of mind, looking at my writing in a new angle to edit small details or add onto what's previously been included. Sometimes, I like to take notes while I write, so I can compare my thought process on one day compared to the other.

Music is another good way I get into the mood. Whenever I write a certain scene, I like to find a piece of music or genre I like to accompany it with (for example, when i write battle scenes, I always have Sonic music in the background, it pumps me up lmao). If you do choose to have more upbeat music in the background, I'd recommend lowering the volume a bit, letting it settle within the backdrop instead of being in your face, so it feels laced within the scene instead of just tacked on top of it. If you don't accompany music with certain scenes, my go-to pick is ambience and relaxing music. I open a few tabs, put on a heavy rain loop, some relaxing tunes from my favorite video games, and get to work. 9 times out of 10, it does the trick, and the writing seems to practically flow.

Small side note: uh, don't work on stuff late at night (this is coming from experience). Trying to write with a half-asleep brain is gonna get you nowhere. If you wanna write, do it when you feel awake and rested. if you feel tired throughout the day, take a nap, freshen up. Your writing will always be waiting when you get back, no rush!

Speaking of, don't rush your work. Keep it slow and steady. If you try and rush through a scene or section just to get it out of the way, it'll come out half baked. Taking your time is an essential, and once you finish, you'll feel a lot more accomplished and prouder of your work (And if you want, you can always come back to it and add improvements where you see fit.)

Another way to help (and this might just be me) is working on one thing at a time. If you're overwhelmed with different projects, you'll never get anything done if you hop from piece to piece, starting some but not quite finishing them, leaving a mess of unfinished stuff to deal with, which can really put a strain on someone. So, like I mentioned earlier, keep it slow, and you'll get there eventually.

Finally, references! Just like making art, references are key in writing. If you're stuck on an idea, then try looking at other stories with a similar motif and shape ideas based on them to make your own without crossing the lines of plagarism, if you get what I mean.

I hope one of these tips help you out in someway!

Last edited:
I think one reason for writer’s Block/Burnout (and story abandonment) for new Pokémon journey fanfic writers would be this: Too many Pokémon on the team.

I saw an article somewhere (I don’t remember where). It had some advice for new Pokémon fanfic writers (who seek to write a journey fanfic) and one of the points (which I agree with) is giving everyone a max number of 2 or 3 Pokémon (or even just one) since a full team of six means 7 characters (the trainer and 6 Pokémon).

This would prevent a Pokémon from falling into disuse and not get as much characterization as the others due to too many characters. Plus it would be more manageable due to the smaller number of characters.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom