• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writer's Workshop Autumn Awards 2012 Nominations Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Welcome one and all to the Writer's Workshop Autumn Awards 2012! (That's right, Autumn not "Fall", whatever that is.)

The Awards are going to work in largely the same way as the rest of the 2012 Awards, but just in case you've forgotten, or you're new, the "RULES" tab below is your friend.

RULES:
Nominations

Every user can nominate two works, characters or users for each category. Nominate by simply posting in this thread. You cannot nominate your own work. Fics must have been updated since the last Awards (May) to be eligible for nomination.

There is no longer a ‘one shot’ category, or a ‘serial/chaptered/long fic’ category. One shots and serial fics are both eligible for any category. Length or form of a fic does not include or exclude it from being nominated anywhere.

Additionally, it is against the rules to ask people to nominate your fics. Doing so may result in disqualification from the Awards.

We are aware that many of the categories can be fairly subjective. You will not be penalised for ‘incorrectly’ nominating something. Just do your best to nominate it in the correct category.

The deadline for nominations is the 15th September. Nominations received on this date will be counted, any received on the 16th will not be.

Voting and judging

Every user can vote for the Best Reviewer and Best Newcomer categories. You cannot vote for yourself. The other categories will be judged by a panel of carefully selected judges. (If you would like to apply to be a judge please see the application form at the bottom of this post.) Voting and judging will open on the 16th and the deadline will be the 1st October. Results will be announced shortly after the deadline.

Awards

Users who win awards will be given a personalised banner that they can use in their signature, exhibit in a blog or do whatever they like with. Their banner, which will include their name and the name of their fics and characters, if appropriate, will be recorded in the Writer’s Workshop Hall of Fame.

They will also be awarded a Badge! Users who manage to obtain eight Badges over the course of every Awards season from now on will be entered into the Writer’s Workshop Hall of Fame as a ‘Champion’. Acquiring the same Badge twice counts as acquiring two separate Badges.

CATEGORIES:
REMEMBER: ‘One shot’ and ‘Chaptered’ fics are not categories. One shots and chaptered fics can be nominated in any category.

BestJourneyFic-2.png

Any work which centres around a journey or quest that involves travelling to specific places, including, but not limited to, collecting badges, contest ribbons and similar tokens of achievement.

BestExpansionFic-1.png

Any work which expands upon the existing canon, whether it be into the past or present.

BestCrossoverNon-PokemonFic.png

Any work which does not feature Pokémon or crosses Pokémon with another fandom.

BestDarkFic-2.png

Any work which explores dark themes, including, but not limited to, explorations of morality, the experiences of villains and/or villainous teams and particularly grim worlds.

BestAlternateFic-1.png

Any work which does not easily fit into any of the above categories, including, but not limited to, poetry, crack fics and shipping fics.

BestProtagonist-1.png

The central character of any work.

BestAntagonist-2.png

A villain, rival, or enemy of any kind featured in any work.

BestSupportingCharacterfixed.png

Essentially, any character that is not the central protagonist or antagonist.

BestReviewer-2.png

Any Writer’s Workshop user who gives reviews.

BestNewcomer-2.png

Any Writer’s Workshop user who has become active in the Workshop since the last Awards season in May.

Overall Awards

BestStory-1.png

The winners of Best Journey Fic, Best Expansion Fic, Best Non-Pokémon/Crossover, Best Dark Fic and Best Alternate Work are all eligible to win Best Work.

BestCharacter-1.png

The winners of Best Protagonist, Best Antagonist and Best Supporting Character are all eligible to win Best Character.

Judging: Due to lack of interest in judging in the last two Awards seasons, our judging pool will primarily come from staff. However, if you are interested in judging, you should send me a PM explaining why you're interested and why you think you'd do a good job.

Best of luck to everyone!

I haven't been keeping up with a lot of fics lately, due to time constraints among other things, but I'll try my best to fit my nominations into the proper categories.

Best Journey Fic-
The Journeys of Red Star, by @LightningTopaz;
How To Conquer Kanto in 8 Easy Steps, by @AceTrainer14;

Best Expansion Fic-
TBA

Best Crossover/Non-Pokémon Fic-
TBA

Best Dark Fic-
TBA

Best Alternate Fic-
Brotherhood, by @G-Mama;
Pokémon Academy Year II, by @Stellar Gale;

Best Protagonist-
Alaska Acevedo, from How To Conquer Kanto in 8 Easy Steps
Reggie Damon, from Pokémon Academy Year II

Best Antagonist-
TBA

Best Supporting Character-
Frankie Wynne, from Brotherhood

Watch this space for further nominations!

Last edited:
Best Journey Fic:
- The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova, by @apenpaap;

Best Dark Fic:
- Going Rogue, by @Stellar Gale;

Best Alternate Fic:
- Live From the Fireside: Season 2, by @LightningTopaz;

Best Protagonist:
- Boreas from The Surprising Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova, by apenpaap

Best Supporting Character:
- Darren from Pokemon Academy Year II: Second Year Rhapsody, by @Stellar Gale;
- Lotta from Live From the Fireside: Season 2, by LightningTopaz

Best Atagonist:
Tyson from Pokemon Academy Year II: Second Year Rhapsody, by Stellar Gale

Best Reviewer:
@AetherX;

Will be expanded when I've thought it through which to nominee.

EDIT: First update for what I've nominated.

EDIT2: Dang! You've just beaten me from nominating AetherX as best reviewer, @Feliciano;! Oh well, still going to nominate him :p

Last edited:
Best Dark Fic
The Abstract Ideal of Staying Alive by @Caprizant;

Best Non-Pokémon Fic
The Abstract Ideal of Staying Alive by Caprizant

Best Protagonist
Melvin Fibonacci from The Abstract Ideal of Staying Alive by Caprizant
Reggie Damon from Pokémon Academy Year II by Stellar Gale

Best Supporting Character
Victor Vantes from The Abstract Ideal of Staying Alive by Caprizant (not sure if he’s supporting or antagonist at this point)
Fin from Pokémon academy Year II by @Stellar Gale;

Woah, only stuff from 2 fics? Wow, I got lazy this time XD

Last edited:
@G-Mama; I was going to nominate him, but noticed that Elite Four Lugion beat me to it XP

If you want, I could clean up my nomination to make it more professional

Just five days left to get your nominations in and there's still no nominations for Best Expansion Fic, Best Newcomer and Best Reviewer! Particularly disappointed about those last two - I thought we were a friendlier forum than that?

Best Journey Fic:
"The Journey Never Ends" @Waras
Best Alternative Fic:
"It's a Mistycal Life" @Karamazov
Best Protagonist:
Alaska from "How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps" @AceTrainer14 (I just noticed Alaska's already been nominated. Should I remove this? Sorry, not very familiar with nomination process :/)
More nominations coming soon. I hope.

Last edited:
Best Journey Fic.

Heart of Crystal by Feliciano

Best Expansion Fic.

Sorry, there really aren't any new or really at all Expansion stories here. I don't think I can nominate anything.

Best Crossover/Non Pokemon Fic

Again, an extremely small variable that doesn't really exist so I can't nominate.

Best Dark Fic

N/A

Best Alternate Fic

N/A

Best Protagonist

Milo from Legacy's Pocket Monsters: The Battle Quest

Best Antagonist

Diego from Adventures of a Glaceon in Unova

Best Supporting Character

Riley from Essence of Life.

Best Reviewer

N/A

Best Newcomer

N/A

@Bulbajer; That's fine, don't worry about it.

@AetherX; I'm going to have judges in each category eliminate fics that they do not consider to fit within that category from consideration. I think Pokemon Academy II being nominated for Expansion will fit into that category as Expansion is generally a fic that somehow expands on the backstory, future etc. of a canonical character. PA2 is already nominated for Best Alternate, though, so don't worry about it not getting a chance to win an award.

Also, a notice to everyone: I will be nominating users, characters and fics so as to ensure that no category has less than two nominations when I close the thread. I will not nominate anyone who does not deserve to be nominated but I've looked through the Workshop already and I believe there are enough people who deserve nomination but have not been nominated to fill up the spots.

@AetherX; I'm going to have judges in each category eliminate fics that they do not consider to fit within that category from consideration. I think Pokemon Academy II being nominated for Expansion will fit into that category as Expansion is generally a fic that somehow expands on the backstory, future etc. of a canonical character. PA2 is already nominated for Best Alternate, though, so don't worry about it not getting a chance to win an award.

Gotcha, didn't really think that one through. Thanks!

Oy, I've barely read any fan fic in forever and a half. But I've read a few, so yeah.

Best Journey Fic-
Pokémon: Like No One Ever Was by [MENTION]Lugion[/MENTION].

Best Protagonist-
Reggie from Second Year Rhapsody by @Stellar Gale

Yeah.

Oh, bugger. I didn't realize how few fics I've read this season. Oh well, all of these deserve it!

Best Journey Fic:
Essence of Life by @Tsutarja;

Essence of Life isn't really a Journey fic. imo. While there is some journeying in it, it doesn't really rely on a travel-heavy plot line, there's barely really any journeying in the story and it seems to focus more on the character's backstory, slice-of-life with a bit of a more realistic twist so to speak.

Essence of Life isn't really a Journey fic. imo. While there is some journeying in it, it doesn't really rely on a travel-heavy plot line, there's barely really any journeying in the story and it seems to focus more on the character's backstory, slice-of-life with a bit of a more realistic twist so to speak.

Thanks for highlighting this. The judges will eliminate any story that they feel should not be eligible for their category.

And with that, I would like to close the nominations for this year's Autumn Awards, but before I do, I have a few nominations of my own...

Best Expansion Fic - Smashed by @99unownoak; and Heart of Crystal by @Feliciano;

Best Newcomer - @System Error; (only just posted his first fic) and @Caprizant; (posted first fic about 5 days after nominations for the Winter Awards closed and is therefore eligible)

Best Reviewer - @Stellar Gale;

I'll write up a full list of nominees in a new thread shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom