• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I can't believe the general chat thread is fucking dead

Also y'all ever start to write a story idea, go "wait a minute" and realize you've 100% written and then dropped the idea before?

Every time I try writing my Zelda fic, yes. Must have been four or five times by now that I've sat down, wrote the first chapter in full and thought "I remember why I stopped writing this" when I looked at the roadmap of what I had to do.

I once had an idea for a really E D G Y fanfic-sequel to Spirit Tracks that consumed my mind for a couple of years, then I wrote a chapter down just to get it out of my system and realised how convoluted it was. Now I keep thinking about an E D G Y adaptation of Power Rangers SPD. I have a problem of imagining fanfics I'm never going to write as if they were official products.

I'm kind of reconsidering trying one idea again cause I'm realizing again the potential fun it has to offer, not to mention it could bridge my PMD works with my TPP works. I have like 4 other ongoing writing projects right now, though, so I should focus on those first.

Also yo girl out here might actually end a PMD oneshot on a sex joke

Moonkind is the closest I've ever come to finishing a fanfiction. I'm currently writing chapter 8, and I'm estimating that there'll be three/four chapters after that, including an epilogue.

I finished a 120k garbage pile over a decade ago, and since then I've never finished anything that wasn't a oneshot. I want to change that, so so bad!

I've been dumb enough to do the epic style fanfic, so aside from the likes of Star Mariner, I've not often finished stories. My problem is I tend to start projects that are magazine-style serials, chapters that can easily be read as stand alones but nonetheless are part of an unfinished project

Speaking of magazines, the latest issue of a magazine I wanted was supposed to come out on the 22nd. There was a problem with the distributors, so then they said it would come out on the 24th. It still hasn't in my general area and I've looked in seven retailers over the past five days.

I have the magazine now.

To cut a long story short, I just came up with a fanfic where the main character needs to learn to speak Pokémonese, and I'm wondering how to convey it.
  • I know what the characters are saying in Duskbeach. I wrote their lines in English and gave them PokeSpeak lines with the same number of syllables, and kept the meanings of these syllables consistent.
  • This will probably be told from the perspective of someone who already speaks Pokémonese.
  • I'm not having Pokémon say their names.
  • I once read a theory that PokeSpeak uses syllables as a supplement to inflection.
  • Most of the fanfic takes place underwater.
Knowing this, I'm considering making Pokémonese a lingua franca with its own grammar that's basically an SVO language with no articles and one word that can make anything negative. How I'd write that, I have no idea.

Last edited:
Hi there.

It's been 3000 years...

And I finally started writing something that I know where I'm going with.

Deciding to commit the sin of stupidity I decided to write two stories and weigh which one I liked better. Sadly, the second one suffered writers block and a bit of me worrying if I'm potraying characters right. But the other one's going great!

It's an Ace Attorney fanfic (but not really because it's almost entirely original characters) that reads like an Ace Attorney game. And plays like one. Yeah, it requires reader input for cross examinations and such.

Also, how've you guys been doing?

It's an Ace Attorney fanfic (but not really because it's almost entirely original characters) that reads like an Ace Attorney game. And plays like one. Yeah, it requires reader input for cross examinations and such.
Have you ever heard of Turnabout Storm? It's a My Little Pony/Ace Attorney crossover that's animated. With voice acting. And it's over four hours long. I never got around to finishing watching it.

An idea I've had, but never fully executed, is writing flashbacks in a different tense to the rest of the story. I tried doing it in The Tides Have Turned, but "had" stopped sounding like a word. I might try it again in a Power Rangers "here's how these characters felt during canon events" oneshot, this time with present and past instead of past and perfect.

My first exposure to perfect tense was the sentence "Kelly was - had been - a chimp." in Eva by Peter Dickinson.

Here's a question: I want to do a Kingdom Hearts/Legend of Zelda adventure. I want to include the heartless, but I think it would be best if Sora is excluded. Would it still be considered a crossover even if Sora is not there?

Here's a question: I want to do a Kingdom Hearts/Legend of Zelda adventure. I want to include the heartless, but I think it would be best if Sora is excluded. Would it still be considered a crossover even if Sora is not there?
Yes.

I think.

Well...

Look at it this way: Link's Awakening had all this stuff from Mario. Is it a crossover?

Crossovers don't have to have the chief protagonists of the respective franchises involved whatsoever, and I'm confident that nobody has ever said otherwise.

Anyway, I turn 25 today! It's cat day! Everyone has to change their avatar to a cat pic and sign over the best basking spots in houses to me

Back
Top Bottom