• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

For anyone wanting to work on character development in stories but don't want to go too crazy, try this:
Pick a phobia. Now write a story (short story or novel [doesn't matter]) based around your protagonist being forced to confront the phobia and eventually ending with not fearing the thing that much anymore.

My fanfiction, The Threat to the Multiverse, is in need of some reviewing. I have the first 2 chapters posted, but I feel like there could be some improvement with it. Would anyone be willing to help?

My fanfiction, The Threat to the Multiverse, is in need of some reviewing. I have the first 2 chapters posted, but I feel like there could be some improvement with it. Would anyone be willing to help?
As long as you're willing to accept constructive criticism, I can help you out!

I have been unable to write properly for months. The motivation and thinking are not there as it used to be. I cannot go for more than half a page in a month. So, I decided to change the pace a little. I remember reading American Gods years ago and feeling inspired to write again. I will go and read that book again. This time, I am not reading to finish the story but to analyze the story telling. I think it will give me some new lights on how to reflect it on my own writing. I will feel more satisfied with the work I put in, I hope. In fact, I am thinking of creating a thread to give in tips for proper writing, and I would be happy to put in my two cents with my examples based on the books I read. But I am not sure whether there is already such thread.

In fact, I am thinking of creating a thread to give in tips for proper writing, and I would be happy to put in my two cents with my examples based on the books I read. But I am not sure whether there is already such thread.
You should make that thread honestly. Sure there might be a thread like that, but I imagine that if there was, it is ancient at this point.

If anyone is struggling with doing Character Development, remember this: It does not have to be a big grand life changing thing (like Cinderella going from a poor girl who is abused by her aunts [don't remember if they were her aunts or not] to becoming a princess). It can be as small as a character being less afraid of something (like a child becoming less afraid of the dark at the end of the story after being afraid of the dark during the story).

Sorry for the double post.

Let's say someone wants to write a fanfic based on a video game. Let's say... Pokémon Red Version. Would it make sense to do a playthrough of Pokémon Red with the intended team in order to gather ideas for the fanfic (which will come after the playthrough)?

Last edited:

Let's say someone wants to write a fanfic based on a video game. Let's say... Pokémon Red Version. Would it make sense to do a playthrough of Pokémon Red with the intended team in order to gather ideas for the fanfic (which will come after the playthrough)?

Yes, that would be a good idea. For example, in my novelization of Breath of Fire 3 that I attempted years ago I played the actual game alongside writing it so I could get actual in-game dialog and ensure I had all the details and story elements right. Obviously I had some of my own twists thrown in, and I had to re-imagine certain scenes so they'd connect together (ie: the interlude chapter between the Childhood Arcs and the Adult Arcs was written in a very unique style to mimic the cutscene that takes place during the game at that time), but by playing the game alongside writing the story allowed me to write it more fluidly and incorporate as many elements and story beats from the game to make it feel like it was the game itself. The only reason why it died out is because my skill level wasn't high enough at the time to fit the more ambitious writing style.

So if one ever does a story based off of a game it's often a very good idea to play said game either alongside it or prior to so you can get the rhythm and flow of the story while also giving yourself room to experiment and express creative ideas. And it's also fun to pepper in in-game dialog to act as Easter Eggs to those who have played the game and show your knowledge of the game, which adds extra depth and context to the story. That's my two cents, anyway.

I'd concur with CynthiaLover on it being a good idea to do a Pokemon playthrough while writing a story based on it. It would help a lot in figuring out the pacing for Pokemon acquisition, learning moves, evolving and so on. It would also help a writer better understand the other characters by having their dialogue in front of them.

I myself have many inspirations for my own project that I frequently look back onto to keep myself on the right track. So I'm definitely in the camp for having as much material to draw from as one can get.

Yes, that would be a good idea. For example, in my novelization of Breath of Fire 3 that I attempted years ago I played the actual game alongside writing it so I could get actual in-game dialog and ensure I had all the details and story elements right. Obviously I had some of my own twists thrown in, and I had to re-imagine certain scenes so they'd connect together (ie: the interlude chapter between the Childhood Arcs and the Adult Arcs was written in a very unique style to mimic the cutscene that takes place during the game at that time), but by playing the game alongside writing the story allowed me to write it more fluidly and incorporate as many elements and story beats from the game to make it feel like it was the game itself. The only reason why it died out is because my skill level wasn't high enough at the time to fit the more ambitious writing style.

So if one ever does a story based off of a game it's often a very good idea to play said game either alongside it or prior to so you can get the rhythm and flow of the story while also giving yourself room to experiment and express creative ideas. And it's also fun to pepper in in-game dialog to act as Easter Eggs to those who have played the game and show your knowledge of the game, which adds extra depth and context to the story. That's my two cents, anyway.

I'd concur with CynthiaLover on it being a good idea to do a Pokemon playthrough while writing a story based on it. It would help a lot in figuring out the pacing for Pokemon acquisition, learning moves, evolving and so on. It would also help a writer better understand the other characters by having their dialogue in front of them.

I myself have many inspirations for my own project that I frequently look back onto to keep myself on the right track. So I'm definitely in the camp for having as much material to draw from as one can get.
I also agree that it makes sense to do a playthrough (I simply wasn't sure if it was a good idea, hence why I asked). Of course, I imagine that would depend on the game you are playing. Some are story heavy, others are not.

The nice thing about Pokémon compared to other games (Like say Final Fantasy 12) is that you have a lot more flexibility when it comes to the story. Using Final Fantasy 12 as an example (since it is a game that I have played a lot and thus am familiar with it) you kind of have to follow the story mostly beat for beat (otherwise it would just turn into an original story featuring the characters of Final Fantasy 12), whereas in Pokémon, you have far more flexibility with the order of the Gym Leaders you battle, what Pokémon you catch (and where they are caught) and so on. Pokémon doesn't really have much story outside of getting the badges and become champion. Sure, we take on the evil team, but a lot of times, we get involved because they happen to get in the way of us doing the Gym Challenge.

Last edited:
I also agree that it makes sense to do a playthrough (I simply wasn't sure if it was a good idea, hence why I asked). Of course, I imagine that would depend on the game you are playing. Some are story heavy, others are not.

The nice thing about Pokémon compared to other games (Like say Final Fantasy 12) is that you have a lot more flexibility when it comes to the story. Using Final Fantasy 12 as an example (since it is a game that I have played a lot and thus am familiar with it) you kind of have to follow the story mostly beat for beat (otherwise it would just turn into an original story featuring the characters of Final Fantasy 12), whereas in Pokémon, you have far more flexibility with the order of the Gym Leaders you battle, what Pokémon you catch (and where they are caught) and so on. Pokémon doesn't really have much story outside of getting the badges and become champion. Sure, we take on the evil team, but a lot of times, we get involved because they happen to get in the way of us doing the Gym Challenge.
Agreed, for the most part. Some Pokemon games are heavier in story and themes than others. The first 4 gens had pretty much Excuse Plots but Pokemon Black and White and the Mystery Dungeon series are pretty heavy in plot and characterization compared to the rest of the franchise. It pretty much depends on what source you are working with.

I'd argue that Final Fantasy 12 could possibly have some things done with it. There are stories to tell or depict aside from the one in the game or its weird sequel on the DS. One of the most interesting things to me were how the summons came to be and how they could possibly link to Final Fantasy Tactics. Pretty much a good ol retelling of a god's former finest rounding up a bunch of like-minded beings in a doomed rebellion. I would have really liked to see those Scions of Light that the clan primer talks about in the Esper's entries. FF7's remake also does some crazy things to what was originally the original plot but I guess anything can happen when time and dimensional travel are at play. Yes, I am familiar with some old school Final Fantasy games :giggle:.

Agreed, for the most part. Some Pokemon games are heavier in story and themes than others. The first 4 gens had pretty much Excuse Plots but Pokemon Black and White and the Mystery Dungeon series are pretty heavy in plot and characterization compared to the rest of the franchise. It pretty much depends on what source you are working with.

I'd argue that Final Fantasy 12 could possibly have some things done with it. There are stories to tell or depict aside from the one in the game or its weird sequel on the DS. One of the most interesting things to me were how the summons came to be and how they could possibly link to Final Fantasy Tactics. Pretty much a good ol retelling of a god's former finest rounding up a bunch of like-minded beings in a doomed rebellion. I would have really liked to see those Scions of Light that the clan primer talks about in the Esper's entries. FF7's remake also does some crazy things to what was originally the original plot but I guess anything can happen when time and dimensional travel are at play. Yes, I am familiar with some old school Final Fantasy games :giggle:.
That's why for Final Fantasy 12, I said you had to follow it for the most part. Yeah, you can make changes, but change too much and you have an original story.

Back
Top Bottom