• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Did anyone in North America catch the 9th season premier of 24?

Oooooooooh my god, the nailed the feel of the original eight seasons, and I am super pumped for the rest of the season. Should serve as new, reinvigorated inspiration for the police's side plot of Storm Island, as I'd used the first five seasons as inspiration so far. :D

Happy bday Kelleo, dont'go too crazy.

Haha, that might be kind of hard cause I just watched the Pittsburgh Penguins win their second game in a row in round 2 of the NHL playoffs! :D AND it was a double shut out for goalie Marc-Andre Fleury since he didn't allow ANY goals two games in a row AND the team now leads the series 2-1 AND Sidney Crosby is finally back because he got his first goal in like ten games (he's supposed to be the best player in the league). Hell yeah. :D Best birthday ever!

I'm from Pittsburgh, so I'm a Steelers and Penguins fan. :3

Happy birthday Kelleo, and congrats on 3000 posts! Hope to see you around some more again.

Did anyone in North America catch the 9th season premier of 24?

Oooooooooh my god, the nailed the feel of the original eight seasons, and I am super pumped for the rest of the season. Should serve as new, reinvigorated inspiration for the police's side plot of Storm Island, as I'd used the first five seasons as inspiration so far. :D

I have not seen it as I don't live in NA, but I think this raises an interesting discussion point; do many other people use television as an inspiration for writing in the more traditional novel-style format? How much has it influenced your work AC? I think that I let TV influence me a lot when I was first starting to write as a lot of the shows I watched always ended with cliffhangers and had twist endings a lot of the time, so I thought that if I didn't have a really dramatic ending no one was going to read :p

I try to use more of a book like approach since I'm more Bookish. But I wouldn't mind seeing the new X-Men movie...

Also, I forgot how to change the name of a thread, cause I put on a new chapter, but I can't figure out how to change it for the life of me.

I try to use more of a book like approach since I'm more Bookish. But I wouldn't mind seeing the new X-Men movie...

Also, I forgot how to change the name of a thread, cause I put on a new chapter, but I can't figure out how to change it for the life of me.

I'm not saying with how you write or what you watch, I just mean does do you watch TV shows/movies and sometimes get pushed towards taking some of their tropes and using them in your writing, whether you realised at the time or not.

And to change a thread title you double click next to the title and it should give you the option to change

I always think T.V. (visual) is easier than writing in a lot of ways in terms of conveying what you what to the reader/viewer. Mostly for POV. In writing, it is distracting to the reader if you jump around from POV to POV. In television/movies, this isn't much of an issue.

There are trade-offs. Sure, you can do a lot more with description in a visual medium while distracting viewers a lot less. Telling complex, multi-POV story lines is also somewhat easier and for better or worse in television you can get away with having much longer stories because viewers will only be pressured to watch about an hour's worth of content at a time. But you also need to make episodes of pretty uniform length and enough of them to fill out a season, which isn't always the length that a plot requires. And then you get into the glory of filler...

Written works can get by with less filler and generally pace themselves however they want. They're also capable of running motifs a lot easier because the writer determines the language that readers interpret an event through, giving them more control over the communication than a screenwriter. It is also much easier to give a character's inner thoughts than in visual mediums without forcing things. Basically, you trade ability to make dialogue and description for more control over motifs and viewpoints as well as the ability to get inside a character's head through means other than dialogue and contrived diaries and dream sequences. They're different more than superior/inferior to each other.

And I don't really draw inspiration from television because I barely watch any, beyond my slow attempt to finally watch Breaking Bad, which really doesn't fit the style of my current works. I read a lot of non-fiction to help with world building and inspiration for characters and some fiction when I am clueless as to how a genera works, like mystery, romance, or westerns.

From a readers perspective, I enjoy reading more than watching. It's easier to let your imagination run wild with things like setting and characters' appearance. I do agree that there are pros and cons to both sides tho.

Also, I want to write an anime based fanfic. Ash finally makes it to the big match, a championship of sorts. I want to settle the final Giovanni battle, who Ash's father is and all those things. Also would probably add some romance cuz Arceus knows the boy needs to finally get his head out of his butt and realize girls always flock to him!

If you were going to have any actor play Ash in a hypothetical love action film, who would you pick?

Last edited:
I would have waited an eternity for this. It's over, Johto fanboys.

Back
Top Bottom