• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Yes, I would be. I've had such a difficult time getting the next chapter of Storm Island written, as well as debating whether to resume working on Let the World Fear Us, as well as balancing all of the other stuff I've been doing.

Eh, I've got 30 in-universe years of backlog for several different planets, and Ian Flynn of the Archie Sonic series is writing for 4 comics and looking to write for a 5th. So long as you schedule it right, I'm sure you can write all three with little relative issue.

C-C-C-C-C-C-Combo Breakerrrrrr

44011449-792c-4862-a2c9-f93901d28b9d_zps5419365b.png

heh

those feels though.

I actually was influenced by Rediamond's post in the Awards thre--I mean yup yup, buddy, it was all you as always ^^

In all seriousness, though, it felt pretty awkward dropping walls of negative text all over stories that I thought were really good but has to stiffen up on because it was Awards Timez. I probably ought to add a "things you did awesome" section anyway because apparently I'm getting a reputation for being a grumpy old codger reviewer, bahaha (but, of course that section will mean that I actually have to put things in it, and if it's markedly short still then that's probably even worse than not existing...)

I was inspired by Beth Pavell, so you were still indirectly inspired by him. Which is basically the same thing. Also, is it sad that I'm reading some actual published fiction now and comparing it unfavorably to fan fics I read in the judging process? To make things worse I had a TV Tropes relapse yesterday, so my week isn't shaping up terribly well.

Bwahahaha, constructive criticism for all! There is some pretty rubbish fiction out there, usually published for the summer paperback market. Though I tried reading one of Bernard Cornwell's saxon-themed books over my holiday and I just couldn't finish it. The protagonist didn't grab me.

Eh, I've got 30 in-universe years of backlog for several different planets, and Ian Flynn of the Archie Sonic series is writing for 4 comics and looking to write for a 5th. So long as you schedule it right, I'm sure you can write all three with little relative issue.
Well, I only get maybe an hour every other day or so where I can choose to write something, or work on something more important. Before, when I was writing "full time", I had several hours a day, which allowed me to pound things out in a ridiculously short amount of time. It'd usually take a week of this to get the chapter up to my level of quality (which is a debatable term). Since I've only got a fraction of that currently, the time taken to write things has gone up exponentially.

I also have a problem with motivation for both things I'm currently working on, so even when I do sit down to write, I'll maybe get two or three sentences down, then go and do something else.

I also have a problem with motivation for both things I'm currently working on, so even when I do sit down to write, I'll maybe get two or three sentences down, then go and do something else.

Might I suggest hand-writing it down while listening to a playlist of assorted game and film music tracks? They're designed to be in the background, so they won't distract you and keep you focused.

I actually was influenced by Rediamond's post in the Awards thre--I mean yup yup, buddy, it was all you as always ^^

In all seriousness, though, it felt pretty awkward dropping walls of negative text all over stories that I thought were really good but has to stiffen up on because it was Awards Timez. I probably ought to add a "things you did awesome" section anyway because apparently I'm getting a reputation for being a grumpy old codger reviewer, bahaha (but, of course that section will mean that I actually have to put things in it, and if it's markedly short still then that's probably even worse than not existing...)

You do know you can judge stories on things you enjoyed/personal opinion, right? :p I will say that this time around I ended up being a bit harsher than normal: not really intentionally, but my comments and scores were a bit stricter than they have been in the past. I think in the end though we got some very well deserved winners.

You do know you can judge stories on things you enjoyed/personal opinion, right? :p I will say that this time around I ended up being a bit harsher than normal: not really intentionally, but my comments and scores were a bit stricter than they have been in the past. I think in the end though we got some very well deserved winners.

I am a cynic. I subscribe to the school of though that most writers know when they're doing something good, and they'll be able to walk away from certain things they've written well-aware that, hey, they've really knocked that paragraph/scene/chapter out of the park. Pointing out that they're awesome, which they presumably already know, seems counter-productive and a waste of space to me. Most writers, myself included, don't know when they're doing something bad (typically); otherwise, they'd fix it. I find that pointing out (what I perceive to be) flaws in a writer's work is more conducive to creating a better piece because it leads to positive change, whereas constantly saying things that I enjoy doesn't do much but stroke the author's ego.

Yes, this applies to me as well. .___. As much as I love when people tell me how awesomesauce of a chapter I wrote, I really love getting the critical reviews as well/maybe even more--it gives me something to work toward improving, rather than letting me think that I'm already at the top.

Yup yup pessimist's view on life, but hey. I did notice an overall trend in much lower scores than Spring, though, or at least in the categories I had a hand in.

Fine kintsugi, from now on I'll point out all the horrible, terrible and utterly sucky parts of your fic ;p

If I say please do will you actually? <3

Also, I don't watch enough anime to know or not, but if the image in your fic isn't from an anime and is for SYA, it looks awesome (it looks awesome anyway). idk, maybe I pictured things wrong, but I can kind of pretend that the red guy in the front is Reggie, and then the guy to the left has white hair so maybe Darren and then Miko could be that orange/red-head over on the middle right and maybe I'm just searching for straws now?

Are you masochistic ;o cause if so then sure I'll do my best.

kintsugi...I love you because you always see things the same way I do xD no, it's not a fanart of my fic it's actually this anime my friends got me into not too recently. But I do agree that when I was looking for images for my theme I couldn't help but think that they were close to perfect to my fic xD aside from the fact that Reggie's hair is brown the guy in my avi looks exactly like him. And yeah I agree with you on the guy on the left and the girl too xD

Oh, I see someone is into Mekakucity Actors/Kagerou Project, nice to know :p

In any case, hopefully now that I'm on break I'll get the time to write something since I have way too many ideas I want to put on paper.

I'm the opposite. I tend to know what people are going to find wrong with a chapter after I've written it, but before anyone says anything. It's rare that someone manages to point out something that I already wasn't aware of. That said, when someone does point out something I wasn't aware of, I absolutely love it because it's so helpful.

As well as combating the crushing tide of low self-esteem, compliments tell me what I'm good at and more importantly than what I did right, HOW I did it right. This is especially useful after I've slaved over getting a certain scene just right. I know that if I did it right, I don't have to reinvent the wheel next time, and I can write to play to my strengths.

Also, I don't watch enough anime to know or not, but if the image in your fic isn't from an anime and is for SYA, it looks awesome (it looks awesome anyway). idk, maybe I pictured things wrong, but I can kind of pretend that the red guy in the front is Reggie, and then the guy to the left has white hair so maybe Darren and then Miko could be that orange/red-head over on the middle right and maybe I'm just searching for straws now?

I thought the exact same thing. I didn't say anything though, because I was afraid I would forever see the blue-haired girl as fem-Fin.

I know, but it's the blue jacket that makes me make the connection. Plus she's standing right next to not-Reggie.

Got to disagree with you @kintsugi. You know I love your reviews because you never let me get away with being lazy, but like AetherX, I don't often know for sure what I've done right. Knowing what my readers liked is as useful to be as a the negative criticism - and frankly a nice comment can break through a period of writer's block

I agree with BP and Aether: I think getting constructive feedback and being told what needs to be improved or what is not working is helpful for everyone, but if the review is just 100% negatives than it can be pretty crushing to read and leaves you (well, me personally) going "Am I doing anything right?" I don't get a ton of reviews really, so I appreciate if people enjoy a certain aspect as I at least know something is work well - and, like Aether said, if I have been working on something for ages I would like to know that at least parts of it turned out well (which is why I am hoping the next Galactic gets some feedback, as well as the heavily re-edited first chapters - hooray for fixing five year old typos!)

Back
Top Bottom