• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I have finally posted here the Eight Easy Steps version of a typical chapter from The Long Walk. I now expect the next chapter of the latter to involve Eve blowing up a Pokemon Centre in revenge against her extended family or I will be severely offended. #MakeItHappen @Beth Pavell

Fellow writers! Who is/are your favorite villain(s)?

Being a Cartoon Network nostalgic, I have always loved Aku of Samurai Jack because he's the literal embodiment of evil, yet as a character, he's a perfectly hysterical foil for Jack.

~20% of characters identified as something other than male or female?

Well, only about 40+ times the general population rate. Of course, having less than half of the received results fully human probably has a fair bit to do with that. And being on Tumblr.

~20% of characters identified as something other than male or female?

Well, only about 40+ times the general population rate. Of course, having less than half of the received results fully human probably has a fair bit to do with that. And being on Tumblr.

Know I want to do something where I compare gender and species, see if most of those other genders really are for non-humans. Here's the general pie chart for genders, if you care to see:

Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 11.33.45 PM.png

And the pie chart for the genders of the people answering the survey:

Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 11.29.31 PM.png

Oh. Then I'm guessing not. I didn't realize that Tumblr had quite that large of a Genderfluid/Agender/Questioning community. I was thinking that genderless would have been a lot bigger share of the "other" for some reason.

And the pie chart for the genders of the people answering the survey:

View attachment 97629
Those are actually kind of surprising to see, and shows such a massive disparity between genders on Tumblr, slanting heavily towards female users. It might be why I'm at odds with the general tumblr community much of the time, I'm not quite on the same wavelength. I have my own frankenstein'd ideals from two decades of having to accept male norms/ideals, and they just don't match up with "normal" stuff, I guess.

I don't know, I'm ranting I guess. It's 7:30 and I haven't slept in god knows how long.

I can't say I'm surprised by the results. I actually expected a greater slant towards female characters, if anything. I wonder how the charts would look if you ran a similar survey in another place - how many more cismen might you get, for example?

Yeah, there's a massive female majority on tumblr, along with a ton of non-binary folk. I think that females are always going to be the majority for this survey (they were last year too when I did it mostly on Wattpad), but I just wish I could get a decent chunk of people from off of tumblr. They have such a different philosophy when it comes to making characters, and I want to see how people in other places do it. Maybe I can make it a bi-annual thing and get people doing NaNoWriMo to do it.

Also guys, I need you to look at this. Please, look at this.

Hiya! Haven't been here much lately... Mainly due to Amiibo hunting and playing games. lol Speaking of which, my gold Mario Amiibo shipped the other day! I've SECURED ONE. :D I also got to order a Toad on GameStop.com. So I have two more Amiibos on the way. ^^

And I got Mario Party 10, which is so fun, even by myself. :D

But despite of all this, I'm fairly close to finishing the next chapter for Super Luigi, so that should be out soonish. ^^

So has anyone seen the variations of Pokémon thing that's been around for a little while? What's your opinions and think anyone will adapt them into their Pokéworlds?

So has anyone seen the variations of Pokémon thing that's been around for a little while? What's your opinions and think anyone will adapt them into their Pokéworlds?

I'm feeling vaguely smug that I've been using differences in colouration and physiology for pokémon for a while. Funny thing, isn't it, that concepts expressed in fanart tend to be more readily accepted than in fanfic

Oh, I haven't read your story so I was unaware. Fanfics tend to require a bit more effort in reading and imagining the changes described, while hoping you got it right, over the simpler 'look at this thing' fan art, so I'd imagine it's not so much readily accepted as easier to see the changes.

Well, in any case subspecies are one way of making pokémon - and especially one-off pokémon - more interesting. I'd also consider the idea of environmental influences - a battle-scarred Onix, a rangy Raticate, that sort of thing. The last thing we should be getting precious about as far as game details are concerned is the precise appearance of the pokémon

Well, in any case subspecies are one way of making pokémon - and especially one-off pokémon - more interesting. I'd also consider the idea of environmental influences - a battle-scarred Onix, a rangy Raticate, that sort of thing. The last thing we should be getting precious about as far as game details are concerned is the precise appearance of the pokémon

I always figured the sprites were just the Pokédex's 'general image' of them, like a stock appearance, as well as the weight and heights being the 'average' of the species rather than all of them.

I'm unaware of certain important details regarding what on earth you're talking about. Please enlighten me.

Back
Top Bottom