• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Just starting to go through a couple of chapters now to do some serious editing for the first time. The boredom is high, but unfortunately for my thirst for adventure necessary.

But who knows... maybe I'll post a chapter this weekend if I can make it out alright.

So I finally finished Pokemon Academy Year II after... a really long time of being way behind lol.

Now if I can just get caught up with Storm Island and The Long Walk, I'll be in better shape. There's so much to read on this site it's amazing.

So I finally finished Pokemon Academy Year II after... a really long time of being way behind lol.

Now if I can just get caught up with Storm Island and The Long Walk, I'll be in better shape. There's so much to read on this site it's amazing.

It is amazing! Now, I've always thought that having a "Best of the Fairground" category (useful for visitors) would be cool. I'm not sure how one would set up the requirements, but that would be an excellent way to parse through all the works.

It is amazing! Now, I've always thought that having a "Best of the Fairground" category (useful for visitors) would be cool. I'm not sure how one would set up the requirements, but that would be an excellent way to parse through all the works.

I would probably set it as any story that has won three Awards (Story or Character), and/or won either Best Story or Best Character, I think

I would probably set it as any story that has won three Awards (Story or Character), and/or won either Best Story or Best Character, I think

I was actually thinking more or less along these lines too.

I was actually thinking more or less along these lines too.

It did just occur to me that this would bias the list against short stories and one-shots, which are unlikely to meet that requirement

I'm interested to see what happens in the next Awards. We'll have new winners for Best Alternate, Expansion and Antagonist and I hope to see some more new names popping up throughout!

I'm interested to see what happens in the next Awards. We'll have new winners for Best Alternate, Expansion and Antagonist and I hope to see some more new names popping up throughout!

Can ongoing stories be nominated for awards? I really wish I'd get nominated for something. Then again, my story's probably too short to win anything. :p

Can ongoing stories be nominated for awards? I really wish I'd get nominated for something. Then again, my story's probably too short to win anything. :p

Yes, ongoing stories generally have won more than finished stories. And you nominate yourself and then people vote for the final stories to be judged. You can search for the past awards to see how it is done, or wait a few weeks for the competition to kick off.

I suppose now's as good a time as any to make this announcement - I won't be entering the Summer Awards this year. Doesn't really seem worth it - The Long Walk hasn't moved on much since the last Awards and I'd rather not just enter for the sake of entering

So when do the awards start? 'Summer' is a bit of a clue, I suppose, but when exactly?

Aiming for the second week of June but still confirming dates with the other mods. There will be an announcement made a week in advance as usual.

And it's disappointing you won't be entering @Beth Pavell since The Long Walk has been a strong player the last few awards.

So when do the awards start? 'Summer' is a bit of a clue, I suppose, but when exactly?

Aiming for the second week of June but still confirming dates with the other mods. There will be an announcement made a week in advance as usual.

And it's disappointing you won't be entering @Beth Pavell since The Long Walk has been a strong player the last few awards.

Well, that's partly why. The way I see it, the last prize to try and grab is Best Story. I don't see The Long Walk managing to win that, as things stand, and since I'd rather not compete for Best Journey or a character award (Already won Best Character) for the sake of it, I'll sit this round out. It might be nice to be able to judge Journey for once - and since I now (Finally) have Uni finished with for the year I could be of more use reading those long stories anyway

I suppose now's as good a time as any to make this announcement - I won't be entering the Summer Awards this year. Doesn't really seem worth it - The Long Walk hasn't moved on much since the last Awards and I'd rather not just enter for the sake of entering

Excellent, put it in for Best Dark then and we can see how it goes.

Will we have a poetry-themed award for the Summer Awards? I've been looking forward to us doing somethding with that.

Well, that's partly why. The way I see it, the last prize to try and grab is Best Story. I don't see The Long Walk managing to win that, as things stand, and since I'd rather not compete for Best Journey or a character award (Already won Best Character) for the sake of it, I'll sit this round out. It might be nice to be able to judge Journey for once - and since I now (Finally) have Uni finished with for the year I could be of more use reading those long stories anyway

Why do I get the feeling Alaska won't turn out too good in that retrospect? :p

Will we have a poetry-themed award for the Summer Awards? I've been looking forward to us doing somethding with that.

All will be revealed ;)

Hello! Stopping in after far too long a time of silence.

I am, for the record, not dead, even though I kind of dropped off the radar since I got my job offer. Some good news on that front at least, as the slow crawl of paperwork has finally reached its conclusion. I have been issued my TWIC (Transportation Worker Identification Certificate) card, and my Merchant Mariner Certification will be issued upon completion of a two-week training course at a US Coast Guard base. I ship out for the training next week, and two weeks after that I'll be punted to the land of spam and pineapples (aka: Hawaii) to perform my Entertainment Technician duties aboard the good ship Pride of America.

I still find it kind of funny/cool that I need all those extra certifications, even though I'm basically going to be a glorified stagehand/cable-monkey. I guess the fact that it happens aboard a cruise ship changes everything, so that every member of the crew, no matter their primary job, can step in and be ready for emergency situations.

That's a quick update from me. I hear awards are on the way? I gotta try to jump in on that this time, and maybe post some updates to my neglected story, and catch up on the ones I'm supposed to be reading.

Congratulations on the job chaos_Leader! I do find it kind of funny they make you go through all those certifications, but I bet there's a reason all those ceritifications are mandatory. Any time I deal with an unusually rigorous process I always think there's a story behind every rule or mandated step they go through. Makes it easier to go through them in good spirits!

I can't seem to get myself to regularly visit this forum unless I consciously remember. Is it possible to get on an email list or something for important writing contests? I think that'd help a lot. >< But I'll try to build the habit of visiting often. I'm just bad with building habits haha. I hope everyone is doing well! Any significant news in your lives, here or personal? I'd love to hear from you all (it'll help me get attached to coming here often) so please don't hesitate to respond.

I just got a writing job offer last week and I'm super excited. Best offer I've had yet, and I'll be moving out to LA in a few weeks to work from their offices (never been to the west coast O_O I'm from MA!). 3-4 years ago I was homeless and on the brink of giving up, but I can say that writing online and in communities like this helped me hang on. So I just want to wish everyone the best of luck here and to never stop pursuing writing as a career, if that is your passion. I never thought I'd get an opportunity like this but I'm grateful I worked my way here. :D

Shout out to my fellow poets /o/

Edit: guess I was kinda vague about the writing job. I create millenial, viral content for Gen Y-esque sites. Sites similar to EliteDaily, BuzzFeed, etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom