• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

So I had a bit of a silly thought in regards to super heroes, specifically ones that can stretch, like Mister Fantastic. Why do their clothes stretch with them? Mr. Fantastic had a special suit made that stretches with his body, okay I can buy that... but he also wears normal human clothes when not beating up bad guys. Why do they stretch with him? Shouldn't his cotton pants stay the same size when his legs stretch to freakishly long lengths?

I dunno, just a dumb thought.

The only reason I can think off is either rule of cool or to minimize excessive or unnecessary nudity. Eichiro Oda, the author of the One Piece manga, is a good example of this. Even though various characters have powers that would or should outright destroy their clothes, such as changing their sizes or forms, transform their bodies into fire, lava or ice or stretch their bodies as you mention here, they don't because Oda doesn't want unnecessary nudity that doesn't contribute to anything. Ultimately, it's up to the author what they want to do.

As for scrapped stories, I actually planned for
the latest chapter in my story to explain Equality and why they were doing with what they were doing. But as I wrote the chapter, it felt more and more out of place with the other stuff that's happening until I decided to scrap it for a later chapter.

Sup, team. I'll be gone from basically tomorrow until August 24th because my soul has been stolen by my uni and I shall be mentoring incoming students in how to be awesome or fail gloriously in trying. I've tried to clear up any hanging duties lol like i have any, and I'll be periodically checking for VM's/PM's so feel free to contact me there if anything is important?

Please don't burn down this place without me. Or at least wait wait until I get back.

In terms of scrapped things, I originally had Nara being much more callous towards human life and the early iterations of Team Rocket being mostly comedic. I kind of want to keep this because I don't write humor very often and this was actually decent, but lol. Puns. Also, crowbar. Because puns. I fucking love puns.
“I think it’s time I introduced you to Crow,” I said at last, right hand jauntily on my hip as I tried to look callous and intimidating. It was a difficult combination, and I wasn’t sure if I could pull it off. A good deal of looking threatening hinged on not trying to look threatening, exuding that casual aura of I’m-so-threatening-I-could-scare-you-in-my-sleep, and I wasn’t exactly familiar with how to do it, so I wasn’t really doing all that well.

To my credit, though, the Rocket began inching backward, his face paling. I attributed his fear more to [LOL NAME REDACTED]'s greatly-exaggerated reputation than anything else, but it was nice to see that the intimidation factor worked. “You named your murkrow ‘Crow,’ really?” he asked, quite stupidly.

That—

—hadn’t exactly been the reaction I was looking for. “My murkrow’s name is Icarus,” I said, so utterly confused by his simple question that the idea of doing anything else but answer it hadn’t occurred to me. He was supposed to be cowering, dammit. “Crow is my crowbar.”

“Your crowbar. Huh.” Pause. “Your murkrow?” he asked again, and I really had to wonder if the Rockets bothered testing their new recruits for mild signs of intelligence or if they really did just handpick the stupid ones for the front lines.

“No, my crowbar.” Damn it all, this was not how intimidation was supposed to work. I re-adjusted my grip on the crowbar in question, which was most certainly not a murkrow, and tried to glare haughtily at him.

“Your croagunk?”

“No,” I said patiently, “my crowbar. I want to introduce you to my crowbar.”

“Your crobat,” he tried for the last time, and I realized this was probably why most grunts weren’t allowed to have conventional weapons. It occurred to me that conventional weapons that weren’t guns almost always paled when compared to Pokémon, but there were still some benefits to having an extremely large and heavy piece of metal.

“My crowbar,” I said through gritted teeth, holding up the stick of metal. “This is a crowbar. Crow-bar.” He stared at me blankly. “Crow—oh, you know what, never mind.”

I introduced him to Crow, and he dropped like a sack of lead bricks.

Any of you guys going to watch or attend Worlds? I feel fortunate to live only an hour away (without traffic, that is) from the event; I wouldn't miss it for the world. It should be a marvelous weekend either way, for sure.

Any of you guys going to watch or attend Worlds? I feel fortunate to live only an hour away (without traffic, that is) from the event; I wouldn't miss it for the world. It should be a marvelous weekend either way, for sure.

I might watch it if I can find the time. I mean, over the past month or so, I've been in /wooo/tube half the time.

On another note, does anyone else here ship GracefulShipping (Winona x Wallace)?

[looks inside Lugion's mouth] A-HA! He's been hiding the pickles underneath his tongue the whole time!

tfw getting back into things after like a year. To reply to a couple questions in the last few pages...

Y'know what sucks when you plan out your lore for a fanfic really well and integrate it to the series?

When they release a new game that pretty much renders the effort moot. :I

That pretty much wrecked the premise of my fic. Luckily it was in-planning, so my response was to say all that stuff is fictional in my universal. Literally, it is actual fiction.

Okay, here's a topic we can discuss: Plans that never came to be. What plans for stories did you have that just didn't happen and probably never will? Let's hear it, see if we can inspire some writers here :L

Oh, sure, all the time. I had like a list of things, however small, when it made fic of the month once. And there's also rewrites to consider, particularly where I did RP to put betters faces into otherwise generic roles thing. Including in the latest chapter, which is only being held up by just that. I also remove a few things here and there, which has small effects on later things. For example, there was a small line in 2-13 where Fritz said "Do you really think attacking me is going to change anything?" to a Crobat who was angry at him. This removes the irony of being asked the same thing in 3-1 later on. Or in 1-9 when Fritz would've coached Reika/Thatcher a bit in a battle; if it was there, he would've made a remark in 2-4 when he had to do the same thing.

But otherwise, to repaste what I said there, "that is a horrible, horrible question to ask me, as just about everything not only made the cut in at least some form, but several things were introduced and got expanded as well." I only outright removed things that would've caused logical problems.

So I had a bit of a silly thought in regards to super heroes, specifically ones that can stretch, like Mister Fantastic. Why do their clothes stretch with them? Mr. Fantastic had a special suit made that stretches with his body, okay I can buy that... but he also wears normal human clothes when not beating up bad guys. Why do they stretch with him? Shouldn't his cotton pants stay the same size when his legs stretch to freakishly long lengths?

I dunno, just a dumb thought.

Hah, that's nothing compared to The Flash, who makes his pants out of "goes fast"

Guys. OMG. My Pidgeot got Pokerus in SoulSilver (remember, I've been playing the game as a tribute to Iwata). This is like the rarest occurrence in the series! Bulbapedia says it's three times as rare as shiny Pokemon! No wonder this is the first time I've ever gotten it on my Pokemon on my own without someone trading me a Pokemon that has it.

OMG OMG OMG! I'm waiting for it to spread to my Pikachu since I plan to box it later once I breed it for a Pichu. So far it's spread to my Houndoom and Mamoswine, who are two of my in-game team members.

See, look here! Look at that! :eek:

PokerusPidgeot_zpsvbpkq6ux.jpg

Congrats on catching a virus, Kelleo! I love how that's a good thing in the Pokeverse.

Pokerus+the+more+you+know_ea8394_5165183.jpg

On a completely unrelated note, I FINALLY added a Table of Contents to OBC. Maybe I should've done this sometime before Chapter ​THIRTY-FUCKING-TWO.

lol at that comic. But the odd thing is, Nidoqueen can't actually breed. XD

Reminds me that I still got a couple of Pokémon in Platinum that can infect others with Pokérus. Not sure how valuable they are in current generation with Super training.

Never got any Pokerus pokemon myself, the luckiest I've got was catching a shiny grimer, gulpin and sigilyph, none of which I'm interested in as pokemon at all. I'm currently hunting for a shiny swablu, since altaria's one of my absolute favourite pokemon, and then I'd have a nice shiny I cared about, but it's not going well so far. I've tried DexNav chaining so far, but it always stops finding swablu before a shiny one comes along. Heh, I was going to try to get a foreign ditto for the Masuda Method, but then I realised I had no idea how to access or use the GTS, never having used it before. That's a point actually, don't suppose anyone here could help out? Anyone here not British, and have a ditto they don't need and wouldn't mind trading to me?

Reminds me that I still got a couple of Pokémon in Platinum that can infect others with Pokérus. Not sure how valuable they are in current generation with Super training.

Not all that useful, in my opinion, and this is as someone who never tweaked EVs until Super Training came along. The fact that it works passively is still good, I reckon

Anyone ever have that issue where the plan for an upcoming chapter looks just a bit sparse? Like there's something missing but damned if you can figure out what

lol at that comic. But the odd thing is, Nidoqueen can't actually breed. XD

The Nidoran+ is adopted. The reason it wasn't brought up is because it doesn't matter, they're family and that's all they care about.

Back
Top Bottom