• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Stay strong, Kelleo. I'm probably not the best guy to talk to when it comes to touchy subjects like this, but... I'm sorry. I really, really am.

Holy crap Kelleo. I wish I was in a better position to offer support, but all I can do is say that I stand by everyone here, that we all have your back in such a crazy difficult time for you. In many ways, we are like a small branch of your Internet family, and like a strong family, we will not turn our backs if you come to any one of us in need.

You are not alone.

Thanks, everyone. I'm doing my best. The trauma doesn't go away...and might not ever, but I'm still trying to move on.

Weirdly, someone brought my coloring books to the hotel room I'm staying in (we can't go back to that house...), but not my crayons. Argh... Well, good thing I have internet and Photoshop. Coloring is therapeutic, you know. I don't care if it's mainly for kids, I enjoy it anyway, even when I'm not upset. Besides, I recently saw an ad on TV for what are basically adult coloring books... xP

For all it counts, I'm really sorry to hear that. I'm sure I can't begin to understand what it must be like for you, and I know just me saying this can't really mean much, but... I'm sorry. I really hope things work out okay for you.

Since the writing academy has languished, I thought of a possible idea for a new installment: sentence structure. Something like this would be incredibly helpful to me, as I often read back my sentences and find that they're awkwardly worded and phrases are put in the wrong order. Not because of a fundamental lack of understanding of the language, but because of how people talk in our local areas. An example would be:

The sound of several sliding locks being undone could be heard behind the door.
vs
The sound of several sliding locks could be heard being undone behind the door.

One seems grammatically correct, while the other is how I speak on a daily basis (curse you, upstate new york!). Which would be right? And would anyone else be interested in such a thing, or am I just being dumb and worrying too much?

This is not me volunteering to write such an article; it would never be finished because I'm honestly kind of self-conscious about this kind of thing when it comes to writing.

Last edited:
Since the writing academy has languished, I thought of a possible idea for a new installment: sentence structure. Something like this would be incredibly helpful to me, as I often read back my sentences and find that they're awkwardly worded and phrases are put in the wrong order. Not because of a fundamental lack of understanding of the language, but because of how people talk in our local areas. An example would be:

The sound of several sliding locks being undone could be heard behind the door.
vs
The sound of several sliding locks could be heard being undone behind the door.

One seems grammatically correct, while the other is how I speak on a daily basis (curse you, upstate new york!). Which would be right? And would anyone else be interested in such a thing, or am I just being dumb and worrying too much?

This is not me volunteering to write such an article; it would never be finished because I'm honestly kind of self-conscious about this kind of thing when it comes to writing.

It sounds like an interesting piece. I have wanted to keep the Academy going, but I wasn't sure if anyone was actually still interested. If someone wants to write this or any other piece, let me know! I think you could write an amazing piece KP, and I know we'd all want to read it.

I could probably help with the Writing Academy if you want. I mean, look at OBC. Perfect ​grammar.

I tend to get really fussy about grammar, though I doubt I'd be much good at writing an article about it. I was considering the other day buying a shirt labelled 'The Society for the Protection of Apostrophes' or something like that, referring to making sure they're used properly. Don't know why I didn't get it actually.

Actually, I'd be willing to write up something about opening sentences. Not so much openings in general (since you probably already have one about that) just that single first sentence. What can I say - it's something of an interest of mine.

Actually, barring that, I may start doing 'first sentence reviews' for a bunch of stories, maybe. That could be interesting, though I'm not sure to what extent they'd be useful, and not just laughed at.

Out of interest, do any of you ever arrive at a scene and, despite knowing exactly what's going to happen, just suddenly find yourself with no idea what to write? You see, currently I'm in a spot like this and it's annoying me to no end. The last chapter ended with the protagonist persuading a skarmory to fly her out of a dangerous situation, and I figure it'd be best to open the next chapter with a scene of them flying. So far, she's found she absolutely can't stand flying, to the point she'd almost rather never have escaped in the first place, but that's about it. And I simply can't think what else to say - she's too scared to even scream, so they can't have a conversation or anything, and it's the middle of the night, and a bit foggy, so there's nothing really to describe. But it's supposed to be quite a long flight so it feels wrong to just cut it off quickly. Though I do wonder if it'd be worth skipping over the section a bit for now just for the sake of getting some more stuff written and then coming back to it, rather than just taking forever over this one little bit. Hmm...

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble on, sorry. Anyone else ever have problems or difficulties like that? I mean, I guess it's just a form of writer's block, so it's probably not that uncommon, but anyway, it's a sort that feels it shouldn't be too bad of a problem which is what makes it so annoying. Ugh.

All the sodding time. It's one of the reasons that, especially when I'm not due to write a scene for a while, I plan it in sometimes blow-by-blow detail. Makes dealing with the block easier to have a script - of sorts - already in place

Know exactly what you mean, LK. There's a reason there hasn't been a new 8ES for about two months now - have no idea how to connect one scene to the next, and it's driving me insane.

Just do what me and Caitlin did for Storm Island, Ace. Rewrite the whole story from scratch just so you can retcon out that link that's stumbling you. Granted, we restarted on chapter 6...

Know exactly what you mean, LK. There's a reason there hasn't been a new 8ES for about two months now - have no idea how to connect one scene to the next, and it's driving me insane.

Just have scene cuts or timeskips like I do. It allows me to focus on different characters who might not be in the same state as one another (like in Chapter 31 of OBC, for example).

Back
Top Bottom