• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

It's not something that can be fixed by rewriting or a time skip, but I remembered something that came up during kintsugi's last review of the story and realised it helps make the perfect bridge. Thanks for the tips though!

In other news, I just realised both Alaska and Eve's mothers are Pokemon Centre nurses. They really are rivals, aren't they? :p

Out of interest, do any of you ever arrive at a scene and, despite knowing exactly what's going to happen, just suddenly find yourself with no idea what to write? You see, currently I'm in a spot like this and it's annoying me to no end. The last chapter ended with the protagonist persuading a skarmory to fly her out of a dangerous situation, and I figure it'd be best to open the next chapter with a scene of them flying. So far, she's found she absolutely can't stand flying, to the point she'd almost rather never have escaped in the first place, but that's about it. And I simply can't think what else to say - she's too scared to even scream, so they can't have a conversation or anything, and it's the middle of the night, and a bit foggy, so there's nothing really to describe. But it's supposed to be quite a long flight so it feels wrong to just cut it off quickly. Though I do wonder if it'd be worth skipping over the section a bit for now just for the sake of getting some more stuff written and then coming back to it, rather than just taking forever over this one little bit. Hmm...

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble on, sorry. Anyone else ever have problems or difficulties like that? I mean, I guess it's just a form of writer's block, so it's probably not that uncommon, but anyway, it's a sort that feels it shouldn't be too bad of a problem which is what makes it so annoying. Ugh.

Know exactly what you mean, LK. There's a reason there hasn't been a new 8ES for about two months now - have no idea how to connect one scene to the next, and it's driving me insane.

Yes. It's a really annoying form of writer's block, and I've been stuck with it for months at a time before.

Just do what me and Caitlin did for Storm Island, Ace. Rewrite the whole story from scratch just so you can retcon out that link that's stumbling you. Granted, we restarted on chapter 6...

I did this once for another story I wrote for another fandom. I really only feel this can be worth it if the writing quality had improved so vastly from the beginning to the latest point, that later material feels like it has to address the earlier parts and take away from the story you'd want to tell. It can be worth it, it was worth it when I did it, but it takes a ton of work and dedication to see it through.

Just have scene cuts or timeskips like I do. It allows me to focus on different characters who might not be in the same state as one another (like in Chapter 31 of OBC, for example).

Sometimes this can help. If it gets too out of hand though, it can get confusing. The reader shouldn't have to ask "who is this scene about?" not unless the intention was vagueness from the beginning, but that's a whole other animal.

Don't mean to break up the present conversation, but I finally managed to get that shiny swablu I was looking for! Only problem is I don't really know what to call her - any ideas, anyone?

Don't mean to break up the present conversation, but I finally managed to get that shiny swablu I was looking for! Only problem is I don't really know what to call her - any ideas, anyone?

Overcast. Every single Swablu/Altaria I've caught has been named Overcast.

I named the Swablu/Altaria I used in OmegaRuby "Sudafed". I'm not entirely sure why though.

completely unrelated, but does anyone know what's going on in the RP boards? Like, it's usually fairly quiet but now it also seems empty?

completely unrelated, but does anyone know what's going on in the RP boards? Like, it's usually fairly quiet but now it also seems empty?
@Flaze is the man to talk to about that.

Is there any kind/brave soul out there who would be free to pass judgement on the latest chapter of 8ES? It's a tricky/different sort of chapter and I was hoping for some feedback so I can edit it properly.

Hey there. It's been a while, huh? I can't even remember the last time I was here. I can't promise that I'll come on regularly, but I thought I'd drop in to say hi.

I'm still working on Legendary Genesis, but I also started a Xenoblade Chronicles fanfiction a few months ago that I'm currently rewriting. I'm not sure if it'd be worth posting on Bulbagarden.

Hey there. It's been a while, huh? I can't even remember the last time I was here. I can't promise that I'll come on regularly, but I thought I'd drop in to say hi.

I'm still working on Legendary Genesis, but I also started a Xenoblade Chronicles fanfiction a few months ago that I'm currently rewriting. I'm not sure if it'd be worth posting on Bulbagarden.

Nice to see you back! While I can't promise much response, it would be great to see some more non-Pokemon stories on the website :)

Thanks Flaze :) If anyone else wants a free opportunity to criticize me, let me know! Have to have at least read up to the last blog.

It's gonna take me a while to catch up to the end. Shipboard life is not kind to my time available for reading/reviewing. The best I can tentatively promise is kind of a summary-review at the end of each arc until I get all the way to the end. Bearing in mind, it took me three weeks to make good on my promise to diamondpear876 to review Survival Project. It could take longer than that until I sign off the ship and go on vacation.

Speaking of, I've recently confirmed my sign-off date: it's November 29th, not early November like I'd anticipated. On the one hand, this means I can be home for Christmas/New Years and have a great time of it. On the other hand, it means all those assurances I've made on the condition that I be super-available come November have to be switched to December instead.

Some additional not-horrible news on my availability front though: after my month-and-a-half long stint of working ridiculously many hours, I'll be transferring back to the position that works much less hours, and I'll have some more time available as a result. I was essentially covering the many-hour position for one of my crewmates when they went on vacation, and they're returning this week, so that's what's up with that. Hopefully you'll be seeing a lot more of me, my writing and my reviews as a result.

Thanks Flaze :) If anyone else wants a free opportunity to criticize me, let me know! Have to have at least read up to the last blog.

It's gonna take me a while to catch up to the end. Shipboard life is not kind to my time available for reading/reviewing. The best I can tentatively promise is kind of a summary-review at the end of each arc until I get all the way to the end. Bearing in mind, it took me three weeks to make good on my promise to diamondpear876 to review Survival Project. It could take longer than that until I sign off the ship and go on vacation.

Speaking of, I've recently confirmed my sign-off date: it's November 29th, not early November like I'd anticipated. On the one hand, this means I can be home for Christmas/New Years and have a great time of it. On the other hand, it means all those assurances I've made on the condition that I be super-available come November have to be switched to December instead.

Some additional not-horrible news on my availability front though: after my month-and-a-half long stint of working ridiculously many hours, I'll be transferring back to the position that works much less hours, and I'll have some more time available as a result. I was essentially covering the many-hour position for one of my crewmates when they went on vacation, and they're returning this week, so that's what's up with that. Hopefully you'll be seeing a lot more of me, my writing and my reviews as a result.

Bearing in mind, it took me three weeks to make good on my promise to diamondpear876 to review Survival Project.

Could be worse. I do believe I promised to review Survival Project some months ago, in exchange for diamondpearl876 buying a Fire Emblem game which isn't Awakening. I still haven't actually managed to get around to doing that, so yeah, I'm a terrible person. Also, it's been ages since I've even read Survival Project at all, so it'll take me some time to re-read it before I can do a semi-passable review. Although I don't actually know if diamondpearl876 has actually got around to her side of the bargain yet either, but that's beside the point. Someone motivate me to not be lazy - you'll be my hero forever.

Someone motivate me to not be lazy - you'll be my hero forever.
DDntFOa.jpg

Do it or the cute bunny gets it?

There's an old proverb I think is relevant... it goes something like, "Never ask Lugion for advice, for he will tell you both yes and no."

So do it... or don't. It's all up to you. :p

Back
Top Bottom