• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Pokémon Generations, also known as Pokémon Origins 2: Because We Couldn't Get Enough of Kanto.

At least we'll see some other regions, though.

Out of curiousity, what do you guys do for histories in your stories, should they come up? Do you attempt to translate our history over or do you try and create your own around what the games show.

Just, I'm pretty sure New York doesn't have a 3,000 year old castle near it, but then you could say it was long gone by the time the Kalos and other Pokéuropean settlers came a-knockin'. But then the presence of creatures that can fly transonic speeds would probably make travelling between continents easier, so the Pokémerican continent could have been discovered much earlier.

Speaking of continents, why is Europe the only 'continent' that lacks an A at the start and end of it's name? Africa, the Americas, Australia, Antartica, Asia... I think Auropa isn't that bad a name...

Speaking of continents, why is Europe the only 'continent' that lacks an A at the start and end of it's name? Africa, the Americas, Australia, Antartica, Asia... I think Auropa isn't that bad a name...
I googled and it just seems to be how things worked out. Europe comes from Europa, America from an explorer, the rest are Roman/Greek/Latin words.

And the GVerse is it's entirely own universe so none of our history has any relevance to it, so I've had to make a lot of it up but generally don't ring it up at all.

Also, a bit late, but Generations does look quite cool, even if it has the same lower-budget look Origins had. It would be nice if they went ahead and made a more game-based anime to run alongside it, especially now that they have gained more attention. I know a number of people who have started watching the anime again on Netflix cause of Go, so this might be the next thing.

Why the PokeWorld history must parallel with the Real-World history? This is the concern I addressed over and over, but PokeWorld design is merely inspired from Real-World geography, not based exactly on the Real-World, and it is not Real-World in a different name. So it is just nothing special at all and utterly logical reasonable that PokeWorld have completely different background history from Real-World, because after all this is a fictional fantasy world set in a complete different universe than Real-World.
In my fanfic universe, I created its own history based on the need of my story. Despite I elaborate my ficverse carefully, nonetheless there is no guarantee it will be addressed in the story. I'm here to narrate a story about a specific protagonist character living in that fictional universe, not create a world just for the sake of creating a world.

BTW, it is interesting that Europe's name separate itself from other continent. I think IMO it is because it is attached to Asia, so it is not "continent" in literal definition? Not sure about any definite answer.

It's really up to personal preference. You can call it Europe or Eurasia, just as you can consider Australia it's own continent or put it with New Zealand, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc, and call them Oceania. I've been raised on Europe being "The Continent", so I'm just used to it being considered it's own thing.

Really, it depends on what you think to be a continent. Eurasia is attached to Africa, so does it qualify as Eurafricasia? Do you consider North and South America to be seperate continents, but they're still attached? etcetc.

I take real history as a guide, since that's the easiest way of creating a coherent history without spending an inordinate amount of time on it. It's useful to take that as a starting point when thinking about how pokémon might change things. As an example I imagine that pokémon would make oceanic exploration easier - easier, specifically, since pokémon don't solve a lot of the problems raised by oceanic travel (There's nowhere to store any meaningful supplies on the back of a Lapras, for example).

I wouldn't go so far as to create some sort of poké-counterpart to everything, especially historical people.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use Real-World history as any guide for fictional world background design. Although I use Real-World anthropology, social science, psychology, and many other humanities knowledge in that regard, and it is true that many of these academic knowledges were developed on the foundation of Real-World history, nonetheless it is not the same as looking into the past events of Real-World.
History is only one of the branch of humanity studies, and merely a record of the already existed past. When questioning the "If" situations about alternative history that could had happened if some specific determining factors of human civilization development had been left out or included, it is the humanities knowledge of other branches not including history shall provide you the possible answers.

Last edited:
Hmm ... five minutes per episode, and a trailer full of nothing but clips of things going bang. I'll bet that'll make for 18 episodes made up of a battle and next to nothing else
...this was precisely what Origins was, wasn't it?

History is only a record of the already existed past.

That's part of what history is. It's also an attempt to understand the past (Usually based on an incomplete or not entirely reliable record), a study which will necessarily overlap with any number of other fields. Knowing how and why events turned out the way they did in the real world (As much as anyone can ever definitively know the answers to those questions, anyway) gives a starting point for looking at how things might be different under different circumstances

...this was precisely what Origins was, wasn't it?

Actually, now I think about it, yes. I thought Origins was fine for what it was, but really, far too compressed and not exactly a leap forward with Marty McFly Luke Skywalker Red as a very generic protagonist

I write my own history in Pokémon and general video game fics (when mentioned), but if I was to write human-based fics set in America, history probably wouldn't be referred to much.

Back
Top Bottom