• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Not in the context of how I use it.

"He went to the chest, placing the treasure inside before slamming it shut" or "She thought for a moment before finally reaching a suitable answer." I'd sound horribly pretentious if I used "afore" or "heretofore" in those examples. XD

"He went to the chest, placing the treasure inside and slamming it shut"
"She thought for a moment, until she finally reached a suitable answer"

There you go :)

It's no problem. Just remember the eight deadly words of any story.

'I don't care what happens to these people.'

To change the subject a bit, does anybody else find themselves with the urge to write only when they're unable to do so? I always find myself wanting to write whenever I'm at work or otherwise unable to access a computer. It's so annoying because on my days off I always say "you know, I should get some writing done today," and then I end up playing Overwatch for hours. But when I'm at work, I always get new ideas for my writing and I think "I wish I were home right now so I could jot this down."

Maybe it's just a subconscious thing, where I don't want to be at work and I'd rather do something else, but it's still obnoxious. It's like "come on, why can't I feel like this when I'm actually at home??"

To change the subject a bit, does anybody else find themselves with the urge to write only when they're unable to do so? I always find myself wanting to write whenever I'm at work or otherwise unable to access a computer. It's so annoying because on my days off I always say "you know, I should get some writing done today," and then I end up playing Overwatch for hours. But when I'm at work, I always get new ideas for my writing and I think "I wish I were home right now so I could jot this down."

Maybe it's just a subconscious thing, where I don't want to be at work and I'd rather do something else, but it's still obnoxious. It's like "come on, why can't I feel like this when I'm actually at home??"

Lol yeppp... I feel this way even at home but it seems there's always something else I need to do first. Priorities.

I made three episodes (my equivalent to your guys' chapters) in one day, in probably about an hour or two. Granted, they're kinda short, but still, that's not a bad thing to do, right? Right? Certainly not obsessive.

@Time Breaker Pretty much. I mentioned earlier that I want to write when I'm at work. Considering where I work I do a lot of manual labor, it leaves a lot of time to think to myself. I'd say about a good 75% of what I write is thought up during work. My co-workers say I'm really quiet, and I don't even do it intentionally, I'm just constantly thinking of things; characters, plots, scenarios, and my mind is constantly running on and on and on about it. It's kind of obnoxious sometimes, but on the bright side, it means I'm never short of ideas. :D

If I could have thought about writing at my old job, it would have made the job a lot easier and bearable. Instead I'd think about wanting to write while working, then I'd get home and think about the job like my life depended on it.

You know what really works for me? Deadlines. I've got a contest and fic exchange I want to do on another forum, and I also want more chapters out before awards. Basically, I need to kick my ass into gear or I'm going to be... very frustrated with myself, to say the least.

Deadlines and GastlyGibus do not belong in the same sentence. Unless, of course, that sentence is "GastlyGibus cannot keep deadlines to save his life."

My best work comes when I want it to. If I'm forced or pressured into work, it's usually half-hearted and not the best I can do. While I don't sit around and wait for "inspiration" to come to me (I believe I mentioned before my stance on "inspiration" regarding creative pursuits) at the same time, I can't very well do something if I'm being forced to.

Though I'm glad you found something that works for you. It's always good to find that and take advantage of it. :D I've found that what works best for me is to simply... get started. If I can just get myself started on something, it usually has a snowball effect, and I gradually pick up momentum and become fully involved. Sometimes it's difficult for me to force myself to write, but once I get started, it's hard for me to stop.

Deadlines and GastlyGibus do not belong in the same sentence. Unless, of course, that sentence is "GastlyGibus cannot keep deadlines to save his life."

My best work comes when I want it to. If I'm forced or pressured into work, it's usually half-hearted and not the best I can do. While I don't sit around and wait for "inspiration" to come to me (I believe I mentioned before my stance on "inspiration" regarding creative pursuits) at the same time, I can't very well do something if I'm being forced to.

Makes sense. And well, it doesn't always work anyway, especially if there's no negative consequence for you NOT meeting the deadline, you know? XD

Though I'm glad you found something that works for you. It's always good to find that and take advantage of it. :D I've found that what works best for me is to simply... get started. If I can just get myself started on something, it usually has a snowball effect, and I gradually pick up momentum and become fully involved. Sometimes it's difficult for me to force myself to write, but once I get started, it's hard for me to stop.

That can work sometimes, too... but only if I'm not in a bad state of mind mentally. If I am, then forget it - I might as well go get immersed in a video game or TV show where all the writing's already been done for me and I can just go along for the ride.

Y'know, I really like the effect they did in ORAS, where they had the music for the Primal Groudon and Kyogre fight revert back to the original games music every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom