• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Tolkien would likely agree; most of the changes the movies had from the book were ones Tolkien himself admitted he would have made to the book if he had a second chance to write it.

To me, that was the highest sign these people did their research when making that movie.

There are very few missed steps in that trilogy. I think the one that bothers me the most, off the top of my head, would be the way the Army of the Dead end up on Pelennor Field - from a film perspective it does make some sense, but it also leaves the question of how dead mountain men know how to sail ...

It's a shame The Scouring of the Shire simply wouldn't fit, given how thematically important it is, but that's the demands of the medium for you

People nowadays tend to be pretty hard on the LOTR films, but I think some of the complaints are overstated (though Gimli being turned into a joke will always grate with me).

The Hobbit trilogy, sadly, didn't turn out so well.

There are very few missed steps in that trilogy. I think the one that bothers me the most, off the top of my head, would be the way the Army of the Dead end up on Pelennor Field - from a film perspective it does make some sense, but it also leaves the question of how dead mountain men know how to sail ...
Well they were men, once. Perhaps a few of them were sailors before the whole death thing.
The Hobbit trilogy, sadly, didn't turn out so well.
I blame the executives. I've heard they actually locked Peter Jackson out of the editing room to prevent him doing it his way.

I wish I were actually decent with photoshop, but here you go, Gandalf Pikachu

Also what is up with Pikachu looking so anorexic these days? When did they change his design so much?

You've never seen Pikachu's weight loss diary? A shame... No, but really, I guess apparently even electric rodents need to have model styled bodies to earn approval.

Christopher Tolkien was right to deny full rights, that's all I'll say. Well, not all, because there's a lot I don't like about The Hobbit. D+D clichés, Hollywood clichés, far too much brightly-coloured CG so it ends up looking like World of Warcraft ... I couldn't even finish The Battle of Five Armies on a plane where I had next to nothing to do for eight hours

Considering they tried to refuse to pay the money they agreed to (7% of gross receipts for Lord of the Rings) , I'm surprised they were given the chance to do the Hobbit at all...

I don't have many regrets in life, but this bowl of 'nuclear udon' may have to be added to that exclusive list. I can't feel my face it was so spicy.

I've already killed off video game protagonists in mine. If I kill off main characters, I'll gain the nickname "Georgina Marten."

Killing off characters is tricky since if you ever have need for them later due to a new idea or plot point, bringing them back to life is usually dumb. My main characters are not safe and I have plans for a couple of them to die, but I don't know whether or not I'll actually go through with it.

Killing off characters is tricky since if you ever have need for them later due to a new idea or plot point, bringing them back to life is usually dumb. My main characters are not safe and I have plans for a couple of them to die, but I don't know whether or not I'll actually go through with it.
Good points... Except for when you use Reanimation. :p

Back
Top Bottom