• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

On this week's episode of Indigo Gets Irrationally Upset About Things, I've been thinking to hard about the insulting starring "section" in the Honest Trailer for Cars that somehow got on the TV Tropes funny page. And "insulting" is not a word I use very often. On the plus side, Screen Junkies' laziness-disguised-as-humour (ie: the "it doesn't deserve a proper review" mentality) inspired me to finally make that Cars 2 review I kept talking about, so it's not all bad news.

*Weeps internally about having no Cars fans to talk to.*

Y'know, it's odd, given how healthy Scottish national feeling has been for these past few years, how it took me all of ten minutes to find a clear, concise video on Old English pronunciation - but the best I can find for Scots Gaelic is what looks like half a BBC Alba series from somewhere in the early 90s

@Beth Pavell i asked my scottish discord friend about that, here's what he had to say if it's any help:

scots.png

Y'know, it's odd, given how healthy Scottish national feeling has been for these past few years, how it took me all of ten minutes to find a clear, concise video on Old English pronunciation - but the best I can find for Scots Gaelic is what looks like half a BBC Alba series from somewhere in the early 90s

Doesn't really help - that's Scots rather than Scots Gaelic and ... doesn't look like it's about speaking it, scanning ahead
Oh.

And once again, I have gotten myself bothered by that certain-website mentality that LGBT-ness is a magic spice that instantly enhances characters, even if it involves devolving characters into one-dimensional opposites of their canon selves. I wanted to compliment the Cars fanbase in my Cars 2 review, but then I remembered that lesbian Holley is a thing.

pfft, you think you have it bad?
people in the villainous fandom are forcing trans asexual dr. flug to be a thing
when the series hasn't even been greenlit yet and all we have so far is 6 minutes of shorts

anyway now for a writer question: how do you stop screaming after you realize your story's timeline makes fuckall sense

Timelines never make sense unless you base them off of genuine, first hand experience or work with broad expanses of time. Once you realize that, the screaming stops.

i, uhh...
i realized a very unsettling fact today
spongebob is an anthropomorphic animal.
this means spongebob is furry

I held off watching Zootropolopia-mania-town-ding-dong for a while because I was worried it would turn me into a furry. I eventually went in completely spoiled.

i had to do some professional level spoiler slalom since i'd missed it in cinemas and i had to wait until the bluray/dvd release. luckily i succeeded and about nothing about the movie had been spoiled to me. (glad i got the bluray, too, the movie is a visual masterpiece.)

worried about becoming a furry? eh. nothing can really make you a furry. you either have the potential in you or you don't, you just realize it.

my main discord group discusses furries a lot (well, like half of the people there seem to be furry) and an issue that keeps popping up is that no one really seems to have the exact same definition of what "a furry" is. for some it means the most out-there kind (sexual attraction, fursuits, constant roleplay, fetishes), for some it just means people who like anthropomorphic animals and think they're cool/cute.

i mean, i've had a "fursona" since i was like 9, maybe (although it was feral as i hadn't found the anthro side of deviantart yet. also it sucked ass from a design standpoint). since then i hadn't really considered myself a furry until i found out the meme potential and realized i liked hanging out around them. always been kind of a semi-furry.

not that i like everything about furries. you wouldn't catch me dead in a fursuit, for example, i think they look absolutely ridiculous, even the less cartoony ones. plus, the way some of them can be pretty... overbearing is kinda offputting.

I don't know, I keep track of the passage of time in The Long Walk. The current date as of Chapter Twenty Seven is Saturday 5th May. And ... ah, yes, it would be full moon
I keep a strict record of time as well, but at the same time, I have no idea how realistic it is until I sit the characters down in a city for a few days. Travel time is the bane of me.

i had to do some professional level spoiler slalom
I'm trying to do that with Cars 3, which is exactly why I keep stalking a Cars-loving blog on Tumblr.

As for Zootropolopia-mania-town-ding-dong, I ended up watching Channel Frederator's video about how it was about racism, after previously only knowing the bare minimum of the plot, and gave up worrying about spoilers.
for some it just means people who like anthropomorphic animals and think they're cool/cute.
I'm one of those people, but I still wouldn't call myself a furry.

@Nitro Indigo
so you... were worried that zootopia would turn you into a person who thinks anthropomorphic animals are neat? not sure if i follow.

I keep a strict record of time as well, but at the same time, I have no idea how realistic it is until I sit the characters down in a city for a few days. Travel time is the bane of me.

I based my calculations on an assumption of between 10 and 12 miles per day. I managed Mawgan Porth-Padstow in 5 (Or was it 6? Whatever) hours, and that was up and down over the cliffs, 20 miles in total, stopping for about an hour in total in between. If you assume your average journeyman trainer doesn't spend all day walking (Which logically they wouldn't) then a 10 mile day gives a reasonable pace with plenty of space in there for whatever plot one wants to happen

@Nitro Indigo
so you... were worried that zootopia would turn you into a person who thinks anthropomorphic animals are neat? not sure if i follow.
Basically, I saw this gif on Tumblr of Judy Hopps sticking a sign to the computer screen saying "you are a furry", and I was worried that I'd become a furry and feel bad about it.

@Nitro Indigo
...that still doesn't explain why you'd feel bad about being a furry if your definition of furry is just "someone who thinks anthros are neat"?

@cansaries It was over a year ago, whatever the case.

Also, the other day, I commented on this fanfic I liked that died in 2012, and today it got a new chapter. I can't help but feel responsible...

@cansaries It was over a year ago, whatever the case.

Also, the other day, I commented on this fanfic I liked that died in 2012, and today it got a new chapter. I can't help but feel responsible...

I wish I had such abilities. There's a beautifully written Metroid fic that hasn't gotten a chapter in almost two years, and I'm dying for more of it.

Back
Top Bottom