• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I have a dreadful cough/cold at the moment that seems to be fluctuating in levels of seriousness. I am tempted to take some antibiotics finally, but since there is a global resistance building to them, I don't feel like I should risk it, for lack of a better word. Anyone know any good remedies?

Antibiotics won't work anyway. With a cough the best thing to do, really, is rest as much as possible, and take in more Vitamin C and protein. A blackcurrant tea - actual blackcurrants, not the flavour, obviously - is soothing on the throat and comes with plenty off vitamins as well

The only time I've had to take antibiotics was when I had my wisdom teeth removed, and I'd think a cold like that isn't serious enough for that, or for that matter, workable. Antibiotics kill of bacteria, while your cold is viral.

I agree with what Beth Pavell says, but I'd also like to note that yarrow is also a good thing to have for a cold. Just boil it to make a tea, and it can be very soothing. Problem is, it isn't exactly a commercially grown plant, so you'd have to try and find it through some awkward outlets or out in the wild. Hope you get better!

This is a very unconventional method I'd read long ago in the health column of a local newspaper. Although I don't know is it medically proven or not, but at least it work for me for most of the time when I get cold/flu.

What you need: A can of Coca-Cola, and some fresh ginger (Approximately 80~100g for 1 can).
What you do: Slice or chop or minced the ginger, whatever way you want, then put the ginger in a pot. Pour the Coke also into the pot, and heat it until it boiled and free of carbon dioxide. And of course, you drink it.

Before the Coke become the Coke we knew nowadays, it was said that the first Coke ever developed was a form of medicine. Ginger was proven to help relieve symptoms of cold. So it is not medically implausible. Though like I said, there was no science report backing the medical effect of this recipe. And I also understand, it doesn't sound like it will taste good (Well for me personally, I think it doesn't taste that bad, not worse than expectation). But it works finely as a medicine for flu, well at least for me.

When I'm half-asleep, I get loads of ideas for videos that I write down in my notebook. When I wake up the next morning, I don't feel motivated to put them into a script.

it took me 2 hours to get out of bed today, how's that for lack of motivation

Update: I wrote a script based on my notes, but I'm worried I might realise I've forgotten something. Oh well, I'm in no rush to make the video.

@Nitro Indigo
Hey, at least you have something written down after all of that. I just keep all of my ideas in my head for months at a time until I finally find the motivation to write it down on some random day... especially if it's long stretches of intimate dialogue that are easily forgotten!
(A good amount of those ideas do come to me in the middle of the night, too... although in my case, it's about 50/50 as to whether or not I actually remember it all. And about 10/90 as to whether or not I actually do anything productive with it the next morning...)

I had a friend once who said they used to carry a notebook around and jot down every idea they had, and then one day decided that if they don't write an idea down straight away and forget it, then the idea probably wasn't worth writing down in the first place. While I sometimes get super annoyed at myself for forgetting ideas, I do see his point. The ideas I remember without having them noted physically are usually ones that I grow more attached to as I keep remembering not to forget it.

i write down anything i think is worth remembering (stuff that needs to be done, picture ideas, writing ideas) in my phone's memos. if i have more detailed ideas, i put them in a word doc or a drive file.

@AceTrainer14
I've actually been considering carrying a notebook with me like that for a while now. That said, I generally prefer typing to handwriting for this kind of stuff because the former is much faster for me and is also more easily "revisable", for lack of a better word. I do like the intimacy of handwritten notes, though, in the sense that the ideas truly feel like "yours" when you see them in your own handwriting. That said...
and then one day decided that if they don't write an idea down straight away and forget it, then the idea probably wasn't worth writing down in the first place.

I don't know if I'd go that far. Some of the best ideas are the ones that are never remembered, unfortunately...

Thanks to animal welfarists, I can't think about white tigers without feeling bad.

On a happier note, I write down my story ideas in most of my notebooks, but have one just for video-idea notes. When I come up with stories, I can come up with feelings, but not a plot.

i used to have the same. i could do individual scenes, but no plot. not sure how i grew out of that, but i think it started by just thinking of a lot of "what ifs" and coming up with main conflicts to base your stories on.

I apparently thought it was a good idea to look at the LGBT-obsessed part of the Cars fandom on Tumblr again. But I've ranted about that before.

Anyway, I can never come up with good reasons as to why our friendly protagonist would rise up to the occasion and save the world, since they're not a chosen one or anything.

she's fed up with no one else doing anything? idk what the others are doing and why they're not saving it so hard to say

anyway, apparently the trans-marco theory has gotten bigger in the star vs the forces of evil fandom again. now i seriously do not care what some person somewhere across the world thinks a character's gender is (even if there's little proof for it and a lot more against it), but when people insist it's true and canon and that thinking it's not is a hate crime, that's when it's a problem.

i haven't watched the show in a while and i really should catch up to it, but my motivation is just really low, as it is with almost everything nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom