• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

i wrote a certain very questionable scene in a fic completely during the time frame of 2 am - 4 am. Strangely enough, it turned out to be one of the most intense scenes i've written.

i do tend to get a lot more done in a late night writing session than any normal-hour writing session. i feel like it's because after 1 am, it really doesn't matter if you go to sleep at 2 or 4, either will be "too late", whereas during the day you have all those other things you might need to get done and every 15 minutes counts.

me: i take much pride in the characters i write and i take them seriously
me: *makes countless shitposts about of them, imagines AMVs of them, draws them as furries, draws them as ponies, crossovers them with every possible series, draws lewds of them*

Me: this will fully flesh out the character and explore the deep psychological motives behind what they do.
Me: writes some wierd story involving glitch Pokemon and fossil gods.

man writing scary things is really hard. for one, you know everything so there's no element of uncertainty to you and you can't feel any fear your readers might. secondly, i'm actually a huge sissy myself and i can't read any horror literature to learn stuff lest my anxiety levels go through the roof which they are already nearing as is. thirdly, i find it really hard to be squicked out anymore, having been online for way way too long

I think it depends on the type of scary. For example: writing weird squicky descriptions of things isn't as scary as seeing it in real life but cosmic horror, if done right, is terrifying. It's why I like to bring glitch Pokemon into my stories if I need horror because those things are the very essence of cosmic horror.

cosmic horror, from what i've seen it, is just a depressing kind of scary. which is just about the last thing i want to read. i'm already in a permanent state of existential crisis

the feeling you get when it's nighttime and you're lost in some woods bears are known to dwell in, though. that's a nice thrill. in fiction. don't go to bear infested woods. bears aren't nice

Actually bears are quite nice so long as they aren't hungry and you don't try to harm them or their children.

I've come across a black bear cub in the wild before. I probably got closer to it than I should have. Thankfully nothing happened.

i live in a pretty wooded area but weirdly i really rarely come across any other wild mammals than rabbits. my dad says he's seen deer and foxes, but i've never spotted any.

in the vein of discoveries, today i discovered that white rum tastes awful no matter how many times you dilute it and add ice to it. it's kind of magical, really

also that alcohol may taste like gasoline but it makes your anxiety go away so with little enough doses it's worth it. six out of ten for this experience, i felt confident for the first time in years and even managed to write something (although not without typos)

You'll have to specify what exactly you're looking for, particularly the fandom
Pokemon. And I'm not looking for anything in particular. Just fun all around adventure fics with a dose of horror or darkness to keep me on my toes. Preferably something fairly new so that I don't have to go on an archive binge.

Back
Top Bottom