• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I got a review today that started "THIS IS SO SAD. HOW DARE YOU WRITE THIS."
Oh man.
I forgot how good it feels to get faux outrage from emotionally invested readers.
And that's chapter one! I'm not done making this cat sad!

Remember when I said I would search the foreign titles of Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness to see if I can find a reasonably-priced PAL copy? Because I just pasted "Pokémon XD : Le Souffle des Ténèbres" into Google Shopping and I got... nothing!

I also came up with a Pokémon/Fullmetal Alchemist fusion AU concept recently, and might do a write-up soon.

Does anyone have personal clichés? My story ideas frequently include Worlds of Civilised Animals and villains who want revenge on the society that mistreated them.

Does anyone have personal clichés? My story ideas frequently include Worlds of Civilised Animals and villains who want revenge on the society that mistreated them.
Hm, I think I like to give characters/lands/continents a defining two-faced aspect. An example is the continent from my original fantasy novel I have under construction. The massive continent is split right in two; in the east you have civilization (order, law, safety, peace, prosperity, future), the west is the opposite (chaos, war, poverty, the past). Despite that these halves are separated by a granite wall of 300 meter high, 30 meter thick and over 16.000km long, they will duke it out for the future of the world. This split aspect is something I see back in many of my designs, be it a kingdom or a continent or just a single person.

Last edited:
not sure if a cliche, but a strangely large percentage of side or minor characters in my fics seem to be female, and as an even odder coincidence, three of them have their front names start with J (jordan, joanna and a character who hasn't appeared yet). i think the gender ratio was affected when i tried avoiding making too many people male and overshot it. oh well. it only makes the main character seem like a woman-hater and it's not like that would be unbelievable for him

Does anyone have personal clichés?
Well, I do find that the majority of my story ideas tend to be adventure- or journey-style fics, in the sense that they usually revolve around a character (or a group of characters, most likely) trying to achieve X or get from point A to point B while clashing with some antagonistic force Y. And that's often even in stories that aren't actually intended to be written as adventure or journey fics...

I rarely write about humans, too.

Also, I recently came up with a concept where the inside of a Pokéball is a void connected to the voids within other Pokéballs. This probably contradicts canon, but I like this idea.

My personal cliches are... introspective narration, I guess? Dunno. Basically, my description is emotional based more than anything else.

I rarely write about humans, too.

Also, I recently came up with a concept where the inside of a Pokéball is a void connected to the voids within other Pokéballs. This probably contradicts canon, but I like this idea.

Sounds intriguing, actually. Tell moar? And hey, headcanons exist.

Personal cliches? Hmm...probably using Lucario and Zoroark as main characters in all my PMD stories. I plan to diversify after I'm done writing my current planned stories, so it's a work in pogress.

Sounds intriguing, actually. Tell moar?
Okay, so I came up with the idea for that Fullmetal Alchemist/Pokémon fusion AU I mentioned a while ago. In this AU, Pokémon were summoned to the FMA universe in the Xerxes circa 400 years ago, where they were kept as slaves. Eventually, Pokéballs were invented. Then, like in canon, Xerxes falls in one night and only a couple of Pokémon survive. Fast forward to the present day, and Pokémon who work for the military are kept in Pokéballs. Our friendly protagonist HATES being kept in his Pokéball, and I started imagining a scenario where the inside is like a void, and if he wanders enough he'll eventually meet other captive Pokémon. This was loosely inspired by The Dex's theory that the hammerspace that Pokémon are stored in is the Dream World.
Hmm...probably using Lucario and Zoroark as main characters in all my PMD stories.
A New World, A New Way in a nutshell.

oh, right. in terms of cliches, i'm gonna have to admit most of the monologues i write are pretty "anime villain". given the guy is pretty much an anime villain. heh... nothin personnel... kid....

Oh damn, I missed that news. How wonderful! @Legacy, I don't know you, but I'm delighted for you, and I wish you all the best as a published author (wow!) with sales and tours and sequels and what not.

Once I finally write a book, I want to be professionally published because I want to Get Noticed. Is that a selfish way to think?

Also, I was just thinking about how it was weird that the names of the Japan-based regions, which are just Japanese words (Johto means "castle palace", Hoenn means "abundant", Sinnoh means "mysterious"), weren't localised along with everything else... then I realised that it makes perfect sense, because they're all based on Japan. This is one of those things that should be obvious, but isn't.

By the way, the denonym for Sinnoh is Sinnohan. Is the H in Sinnohan silent or not?

Back
Top Bottom