• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I was thinking about what games I'd like to let's play in the future, when I realised that what I need is a confidence boost. I spend too much time hesitating and complaining that I have nothing to talk about. I've tried to remedy this by pre-preparing a list of things to talk about, but do any of you have tips for improvised speaking for 20-odd minutes?

My favourite safe topic is to ask about people's pets. I just love animals, to be fair. Otherwise you could just talk about what's been on your mind, media you've enjoyed recently, or things you've done. And to ask about the same. It's really important to listen and be interested in the other person, you know.

give your detailed opinion on a current controversial political event i can't imagine that going wrong

You got me good there, Canis.

In all seriousness, I wish it were more typical for humans to have reasonable discussions about politics. I suppose that politics is so often too tied up with people's rights and dogma and livelihoods that it's almost impossible. Ugh.

Otherwise you could just talk about what's been on your mind, media you've enjoyed recently, or things you've done. And to ask about the same. It's really important to listen and be interested in the other person, you know.
I do that sometimes. Problem is, I'm also a reviewer, so I usually want to save my opinions for reviews. I had a problem in my last two let's plays where I was worried that I sounded like a broken record because I'd already done (non-review) scripted videos about them.

I think I struggle with commentary because my previous two let's players were platformers where I had to concentrate, but now I'm doing a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game, which doesn't require much reflexes. Also, I think I'm out of practise, because when I'm in the right mood, I can have commentary going really smoothly. (Though the last time that happened, in the semidemifinale of Klonoa, it was a nightmare to get the commentary synced up with the video.)

I also often imagine myself having dramatic speeches about an aspect of a game... but end up forgetting half of it by the time I actually record the video, like what happened in the last episode of my Klonoa let's play.

I like your suggestion of engaging my audience, though. Maybe something like, "have any of you had a similar experience to me?"

Whoops, I read your question too quickly and didn't realise you were narrating let's play vids.

In that case, I really don't know what to suggest as on the rare occasions that I watch game footage I prefer the commentary to be related to the game somehow I think.

I'm glad my other message was somewhat helpful though! Good luck!

I only want to fast-forward footage when it's stuff that's already been seen, such as me redoing something I failed at or doing missions in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

Last edited:
Been so busy lately I've had no time for any of the stuff I'd normally do on a daily basis but today is finally a less hectic day. Thank goodness. Gonna get some writing done for sure! Also nominations, reading and reviewing, stuff like that.

Frrreeeeaaaaakk I really wanna be writing again, but I still haven't gotten a new laptop. I've tried to do a bit of pen and paper, but Tourettes makes it an exercise in futility. I've even got a good idea for a fire emblem fic I wanna get down, but looks like it'll have to wait.

Everything's a lot right now, but I'm struggling along. Partner and I have found a wonderful place to rent and we've gotta get this paperwork type stuff sorted ASAP. Meanwhile I've still got my studies to worry about.

In happier news, I've got some great and glowing feedback for Different Eyes Chapter Five already, and I can finally post the incredible chapter art produced for me as a review league prize by the excellent @canisaries! Art below is huge and contains non-human non-graphic nudity.
character_art_prize_for_unrepentantauthor_by_wolframclaws-dcckyaf.png

Consider me jealous on how quick your move is going, uA. :p

Love the art by canis, as usual, hehe.

As for me... uh... I don't know. Guess my boyfriend's mom is getting a dog tomorrow? I'd be looking forward to it more if I didn't have a bird in the house. Here's hoping the dog wants nothing to do with the bird. It's a rescue dog, an older dog, so shouldn't be like a puppy all over the place, at least.

never had my own dog interact with a bird, so don't have any experience to share on that. closest thing is that story my dad tells of when his own dog met his friend's pet snake. the dog didn't care about the snake at all, but the snake was terrified of the dog.

Heh. My bird's scared shitless of my leopard gecko, too, and the bird's bigger. :p People have videos all over the place of dogs and birds interacting fine with actual physical contact, but yeah... all it'd take is one second of the bird pissing the dog off and being swatted at for it to be over. So I refuse to take the risk personally, even if they do end up liking each other.

Can confirm my rescue dog (who I did get as a puppy) tries to chase after birds not understanding they can fly.

D: Yeah, I imagine flying to be the real test of things. I can see that easily putting a dog into fight or flight mode, lol. And even if this dog's not a puppy, it's hard to predict without knowing if it's interacted with birds before. Ughhh. Hope I'm nervous for nothing...

As I (believe I have? I forget if I raised this specific point) said elsewhere, it might just take awhile of your bird being confined to her cage while the two get used to seeing each other. I realize it's gonna suck for a bird that's been allowed to roam free for the longest time, but it's probably a precaution worth taking. At the very least, I'd keep her in the cage for when the dog arrives and see if the dog reacts violently/excitedly upon first meeting.

If bf’s mom had waited a few weeks, me and bf would’ve been gone and there’d have been no stress or worry for anyone about this. I didn’t say anything because obviously it’s not my place to tell someone when or if they can get a pet in their own house. The bird will have to be caged throughout the move as well, so it won’t just be a few stray days, at any rate.

I’d be far less annoyed right now if bf’s mom hadn’t just told me she’s not actually excited for the dog. She says it will cost her too much money and she doesn’t wanna deal with this or that every day. Lovely.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom