• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Okay, I've always known writing diseases/conditions/afflictions/disabilities is hard as all get out, but as I attempt to write about a character with Tourette's, I realized that I never thought about what it would be like to write a character with a condition that I have myself. I'm used to doing all sorts of research to write characters accurately, but for this most recent character, I haven't had to do any, and it's... I dunno, sobering? Like, I find myself asking, "How would situation X work with this guy", and then I realize, well, how would it work with me? It's kind of just now hitting me that I've lived with all the stuff I'm writing about.

Sorry for the serious topic all of a sudden. I just had an epiphany, I guess.

While I don't necessarily deal with any of that in my own life, I do lack a bit in...shall we say, social graces. In particular, I'm horrible at small talk and often talk to far too much length about a singular subject, mostly due to my hyperfocus tendencies and good memory. While yes, it leads to interesting discussions, not many enjoy it, and, in a way, it made me a bit of an outcast. Growing up as a gamer in a town full of sports fanatics didn't help either.

Regardless, I like to focus on feelings of loneliness because of a lack of individuals who understand your mindset compelling and something to put out there because I don't see it often. More often than not, loneliness is depicted as being caused by internal or external--not a cross of both. It helps that I've dealt with it for most of my life amongst my peers...h-heh.*

Guess what I'm saying here that while I am not officially diagnosed with anything, I very much have trouble getting along with the mainstream, and always like to make that sort of situation with my characters in different ways.

*Note: I did grow up with a couple friends similar to me and I do have a loving family that understands this...obstacle. I wouldn't call it a problem considering its an aspect of myself I quite like. I'd just like to find someone that can relate to me in terms of mindset rather than interests.

I've been there.

Originally, Artemis was me. Unfourtanetly, by the time I finally put out An Unwanted Journey I had already started being less depressed and also had sort-of friends. Therefor I'm not sure if I can write him right anymore.

as someone who gets super conscious of what other people think, it's refreshing to write from the perspective of someone who puts absolutely no importance on anyone else's opinions. i do think red may have inherited some of my ocpd tendencies by accident, though, as they're that ingrained in my way of thinking.

as someone who gets super conscious of what other people think, it's refreshing to write from the perspective of someone who puts absolutely no importance on anyone else's opinions. i do think red may have inherited some of my ocpd tendencies by accident, though, as they're that ingrained in my way of thinking.

I always kinda thought Red was a little OCPD anyway, so I don't think I'd notice those tendencies as standing out ;)

Lots of my characters get to suffer in a way I've experienced. Everything from social isolation, communication barriers and dysphoria, to mental health issues, to physical health issues, and so on. I don't make as much of it these days as I used to, but it's an almost inevitable consequence of writing, I think.

Many people with various mental conditions become writers and artists because they find that is the easiest way to express their problems. Dr. jeckle and Mr. Hyde was inspired by the author's bipolar disorder.

My experiences tend to slip into my writing, too. Writing helps me understand and make sense of myself and my worldview.

I agree it's pretty inevitable... There's a reason why personality tests and other kinds of assessments often ask for responses in the form of a story or explanation of how the test-taker interprets things. (Rorschach inkblots, anyone?) All kinds of inferences can be pulled from those answers.

Oh, are we talking about our personalities and quirks leaking into our writing? I'm almost positive some or many of my characters take on pieces of my personality. I can't really name them off the top of my head, though. I usually just let people tell me what characters I seem to be the most like... So far, most point to Alakazam Nevren.

Over the past few weeks, I have encountered quite a number of Doduo in Pokemon Go. A frankly alarming amount. It has got me wondering - has anyone ever used Doduo/Dodrio in a fic before? Have they ever seen it being used? The unnatural occurrence of it just has me rather startled.

Over the past few weeks, I have encountered quite a number of Doduo in Pokemon Go. A frankly alarming amount. It has got me wondering - has anyone ever used Doduo/Dodrio in a fic before? Have they ever seen it being used? The unnatural occurrence of it just has me rather startled.
It's just Niantic on another round of Kanto spamming. Mewtwo's now available in level 5 raids, too.

Speaking of that, I've caught five mewtwos over the past few days and they all have sucky stats. My Pokemon Go luck is awful when it comes to raid pokemon

I might put a Doduo/rio in Your Heart Is in Two Worlds, just for Canis... except my motivation to write it has dissolved because I'm not sure how to bridge events in the first chapter, not to mention that I lost interest in Pokémon AND My Little Pony a few weeks ago.

I've always liked Dodrio, partially thanks to Pokemon Ranger, but I've never used it in a fic. I would say that I'll try and work it in, but I'm not writing much fanfiction these days. All original stuff for me.

Back
Top Bottom