• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Thanks for the tag indigo, haha. I've entertained the idea of a metroid/pokemon crossover, but the way I write both series are so starkly different that I don't think I could pull it off.

Stranger crossovers have happened, such as Samus and metroids in Kirby's Dream Land 3.

I'm not sure if I should make that transformation idea set in the Newverse, or part of that "Pokémon are second-class citizens" setting.

Been working extra hours for my job. Tired often. Still, gonna run a little RPG session for a few complete newbie friends of mine tomorrow. Should be fun! I'm excited! And hopefully next week I have some more energy to write on the bus.

I'm currently trying to write a oneshot about a human learning to be a Gible, but I keep getting stuck on the waking up scene. I just really want to see the adaptation be the focus of a transformation story, and this could be a prototype for something else. I chose Gible because I had these ideas:
  • They get their fin-notches from fighting for mates. The human-turned-Gible is male, and it's noted that it's odd that he doesn't have any scars.
  • Gible never meet their fathers, and their mothers abandon them as soon as they evolve into Gabite.

Last edited:
Has anyone else received a 100+ spam email bomb on FanFiction.net, and do you know an easier method of reporting the reviews so they are removed?
I got hit too, but only on srbs. Strange that they hit DTYD and not your larger or more recent stuff, strange becuase I haven’t done much with FFN since July; my best guess is that someone wrote the bot to go through an author’s favorites list and both of our stuff was there.

Apparently proper course of action is to flag the accounts to the admins. When they log on eventually, they’ll mass delete the spam accounts, which will take the reviews with them. Accounts have already been flagged by a ton of people so realistically Pav is right and we should just wait.

WA thread
This has apparently been happening frequently, lol.

My would-be RPG players fell ill and couldn't make it to the intro session. That's too bad, but I'm glad of the extra week's planning time.

Good luck with planning! Tabletop RPGs have always seemed appealing to me, but I'm a tad intimidated every time I think about trying it.

It's a different kind of storytelling. I really enjoyed it back when I had a regular group, but it does depend on what kind of group you have. Mine was heavily leaning towards the roleplaying aspect (I rarely had to argue with rules-lawyers among my group), but some groups treat it much more like a video game

I feel like I'd definitely lean more towards the roleplaying side than the "strict rule follower" side if I ever got into it. Maybe I'll try and find a group to play with.

Character creation in general is great fun. It's why you spend 4+ hours on the character creator in Skyrim despite the fact that you'll never see yourself.

and then scream in bloody rage when the game crashes during the execution scene

Is it weird the character creation part sounds far more fascinating to me than the actual role-playing part? Hum. Maybe it's just because I've never played for real and don't know what it's like.
I have done many role-plays here on the forums(some that didn't make it up the sign up phase sadly)... And I do have to say that creating character creation is really some of best parts of it, since you can come up with anything for the characters with little explanation unless needed.

I once created a character for one of Flaze's role-plays, I named him Crimson Black; I know Crimson is not a name but I did not care, I just swayed it away as a alias/pen name and no one cared. You should try a RP on here, I have one going on right now but I closed down Sign-Ups however.

Online freeform RP is a completely different beast to table top RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons, or Numenéra, or whatever.

I love to both play and host, not that I have much opportunity or time these days. I miss uni, haha.

i used to online RP as a kid but then all my RPs died and i lost interest in the site the RPs were on and never got back into RP cause i was worried i'd mess it up or someone else would mess it up.

i'd say i've been insecure about my writing lately but i can't remember the last time i was secure about it

Tabletop/pen-and-paper RPG is indeed a very different beast - though character creation can still be one of the most exciting aspects of the game.

Just before we broke up, the last game my group played was Only War. You could generate the character's regiment as well as the characters themselves, but for the sake of efficiency as GM I generated about six regiments for the players to choose from as a group. It turned out to be one of my better ideas, since I had the fun of thinking up weird ideas, and they could apply that to their character ideas.

According to my notes, they included Arabian-themed mechanised infantry; a high-born assault company armed with battle hammers; a Russian-themed siege regiment; a regiment of light infantry mounted on robot horses.

They went for the cyber-dragoons in the end, to their credit

I used to do forum roleplays a lot when I was little. I'd always make up characters on the spot.

Also, y'know how I keep talking about wanting to write a fanfic about a human adjusting to becoming a Pokémon? I think I might make it about a Piplup. I like Piplup, and I also want to have another go at writing an underwater story.

There's also an idea for a rewrite of a Power Ranger season I have, but almost everything I've come up with focuses on the minor character I enjoy projecting ideas onto. This has happened to me before with other franchises, and I rarely end up actually writing out these fanfics. Still, it's a good idea to develop ideas over a long period of time, instead of impatiently starting.

Back
Top Bottom