• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Fantastic Fairy Fox
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, both, sounds to me like it's definitely worth going for the original. Cheers.

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
I never played Ultra because the concept of updated versions had begun to irk me.

Also, I realised the other day that in stories that focus on something happening to everyone in the world, they usually only focus on the people similar to the authors. While I understand that those are easier to write, I'd like to see more Newverse stories that aren't about twentysomething trainers who are outlaws for whatever reason. My Newverse stories have all been about children who have been separated from everyone they know, but I feel like I should branch out.

Plays too much Yu-Gi-Oh!
Reaction score
Man, having Z-ARC as my avatar makes me really wanna write yugioh fanfiction. However, there's two problems. A) I don't have time for another writing project, and should be focusing more on school and my original work regardless, and B) I suck at choreographing duels.

The Pokemon Observer
Reaction score
The Fanfic Ground is quite quiet recently. Does anyone still continue writing their fic nowadays?

I finally had my Real-Life settled. Within the next weekend I may able to queeze some time for my long halted fic.

Fantastic Fairy Fox
Reaction score
I haven't been able to do much writing, or any of my other projects for that matter, for a while now because of the new course I'm doing. Having upwards of two hours travel a day isn't great for either time or motivation. Ironic, I was working on two games before I started studying game design, now I'm working on none.

Just Your Average Admin
Reaction score
The Fanfic Ground is quite quiet recently. Does anyone still continue writing their fic nowadays?
Yeah, I'm still continuing with my two current fics. I've just slowed down a bit because of recent events, but writing is still going.

shame personified
Reaction score

I finally had my Real-Life settled. Within the next weekend I may able to queeze some time for my long halted fic.
Glad to hear IRL stuff is settled!

I'm still writing, too. I'll be doing NaNoWriMo after all to finish *Flying in the Dark* (or at least have a working draft of the rest of the story), so, I've been planning and will keep doing so until November 1!

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
@Z-ARC It's when you have to write a 50,000-word story in November.

Also, I've been struggling to come up with ideas for a Newverse story, when I got an idea: I've tried to incorporate the Heroes of Almia a few times, but how about having them as main characters?

A cat who writes stories
Reaction score
Hallo, all. Ran an RPG session over the weekend that went really well, so I'm chuffed! We'll see how it goes from there.

Does anyone still continue writing their fic nowadays?
Certainly. However, working full time and ~3 hours' round commute makes it tough to fit much in. It's been way too long since I posted a chapter, ugh!

Can you explain NaNoWriMo to me?
Give it a google, my friend.

It's a self-imposed challenge to write a 50k-word novel in November, and it has a website/community/organisation built around it to promote the challenge and help people stick to it.

shame personified
Reaction score
Yeppp, others beat me to explaining it! I'll note that a lot of people don't really so the standard 50k novel, so if your novel would likely reach 80k words, you still "win" if you only write 50k of that. Anyway, I really do enjoy their forums around the time of the event; there's plenty of inspiration and support to go around.

Kawaii desu ne
Reaction score
I have been wanting to do NaNoWriMo for so many years now. But every single year my exams last till the end of first week of November. And there's no point in starting late I guess, because I wouldn't be doing my best if I don't get to utilize the entire month.

ready as i'll ever be
Reaction score
Glad to hear IRL stuff is settled!

I'm still writing, too. I'll be doing NaNoWriMo after all to finish *Flying in the Dark* (or at least have a working draft of the rest of the story), so, I've been planning and will keep doing so until November 1!
oh man let's go into this hole together

i was planning on doing nanowrimo to start yet another project fml

Plays too much Yu-Gi-Oh!
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation to cutiefly, where I'm busy for the first part of November. Maybe I'll participate next year.

The #1 Deerling Fan!
Reaction score
I never really participated in NaNoWriMo myself, since I only write when I feel inspired and motivated, and I know for a fact that there's no way I can possibly write 50K words in the span of one month.

Far too mouthy for my own good.
Reaction score
Something I pulled in real life to get out of jury duty I want to have a character do in a story:

Me: "Can I pull the switch when he gets the death penalty?"
Judge: "This case is about parking fines!"
Me: "Ooooohhhh! Firing squad, then! Can I pull the trigger, or am I limited to just loading the guns?"

Far too mouthy for my own good.
Reaction score
Most people just ignore my random comments if they're not certain how to follow them.

shame personified
Reaction score
Let's not post about being excited to do things like that, please, joking or otherwise.

I has a question for you all because I'm a curious fella: what do your bookshelf setups look like? How many physical books do you own, or do you prefer to read almost exclusively on technology devices?