• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

So, I've been looking for some good books to read in my spare time... any ideas?

I love the Harry Potter series and other fantasy-type stuff, but not Twilight. Any suggestions?
Have you ever read the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? I'm almost done with the third book now, and it's interesting. If you haven't, its Wikipedia article gives a pretty good premise of it.

Is it just me, or does the plot of Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs sound scarily like movie 2, just with the Beasts and the Latis thrown in?
There are a lot of similarities; the birds on the three islands, waking them up causing horrible things to happen, another legendary bird (Ho-oh/Lugia) having to calm them... Love that game, though. someday I'll write the story idea I have for an alternate world where Purple Eyes's plan succeeded. After I finish the other five ideas first.

So, I've been looking for some good books to read in my spare time... any ideas?

I love the Harry Potter series and other fantasy-type stuff, but not Twilight. Any suggestions?

Well, they're really lengthy, but The Lord of the Rings are all fantastic.

And, yeah, LT. That's exactly what I thought of playing through Guardian Signs as well. I did love it, too.

There's a Pokémon tournament coming up next week in my town that I'm going to be entering in. There's one particular person I'm worried about, but I've been raising new members on my team to help me turn the tide against him. Mainly a Skarmory lead, running Spikes, Stealth Rock, Roar, and Toxic. Sassy nature, since speed doesn't really matter.

Also been doing a lot of world-building on my own novel project lately. A lot of it's been inspired by my researching on Skyrim in anticipation of purchasing it.

Just recently finished a pair of books (a series with only two books and not three, who knew?): Eon and its sequel Eona by Allison Goodman. They were quite good, especially the first one. Plenty of action, suspense, sex, bloodshed, and mystery. It's based in a China-esque nation where twelve "Dragoneyes" act as messengers/channelers of twelve dragons (based on the zodiac). They do all sorts of magical things to keep the nation peaceful, but as always, power corrupts. I highly recommend them.

I can recommend the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud for fantasy fans, Legacy. Compelling plot with some excellent humor thrown in.

(BTW, the name is a link to the series' website. Just in case. Links here confuse me! :D)

I'm planning a fic loosely based on Guardian Signs, only instead of Rangers with Stylers, I have six heroes drawing the signs with rings

That sounds quite interesting. I've been planning a Story starting Lavana & Ice; they're from Shadows of Almia. The Ranger series does provide many interesting concepts and characters.

Last edited:
Hitomi: Fellow Wheel of Time fan!

I'm planning a fic loosely based on Guardian Signs, only instead of Rangers with Stylers, I have six heroes drawing the signs with rings
Yay! For a book series that was so well received, I've only met like two people IRL who have ever even heard of it. And then they ask what it's about and I have a hard time trying to narrow down its plot details and terminology in just a few sentences. ^^;

That sounds awesome. I'd like to read that when you get started on it. :D I love Ranger, but most of the chaptered fanfiction I've seen is sadly lacking in unique plot. (But what can I say about chaptered fics; I've only successfully published one-shots. xD)

I'd recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire series. It's a bit gruff and explicit sometimes, 'cause it is a more realistic take on the usual fantasy kingdoms setting, but the author really knows how to draw you in.

Can you give me a short synopsis?

Here's a strange story. This is really a fantastic battle of good against evil set in the weirdest landscape you could possibly imagine - there are salt mines and mud dwellers and mighty battle fleets of land-wind-craft fighting ancient wars across the desert.

Evil has the walled city of Aramanth in its grip, and yet the people don't realize it. Their society is based on absolute fairness for every inhabitant:

Here were the people of Aramanth, ranked and ordered, going about the business of being tested in a manner that was fair and just. None could complain of favouritism, or of secret grudges against them. All sat the same exam, and all were marked in the same way. The able and the diligent came to the fore, as was right and proper, and the stupid and the idle slipped down the rankings, as was also right and proper. Of course it was unpleasant for those who performed poorly, and had to move house to a poorer district ...

Well, this is called satire, because it is holding something - the school examination system - up to ridicule. Really, we all know that if you are a duffer at maths you are not necessarily a duffer at life, and you are probably excellent at sculpture, or botany or something. But individuality is not valued in Aramanth. We meet the Hath family who love each other dearly but feel unable to join the general race to better themselves. They are slipping down the rankings.

Kestrel Hath throws a wobbly at school. She has forgotten her homework and is ridiculed by her class teacher until she can bear no more. She abandons school during the lunch break, trailed by her twin brother, Bowman, and Mumpo, the class dunce, who has formed an unshakeable affection for her.

Revenge is swift and bitter in Aramanth and Kestrel finds herself sentenced to lifelong special teaching. She makes a desperate bid for freedom through an open door in the Great Tower at the centre of the Imperial Palace and meets face to face with the doddering old Emperor himself. He seems to have been expecting Kestrel and tells her that the city is bound to the evil Morah. He can only be overcome if someone will go to the halls of the Morah and retrieve the voice of the Wind Singer which was taken from Aramanth many generations ago. The Wind Singer is a kind of ancient musical monument left by the old ones to the people of Aramanth in perpetuity. If only the Wind Singer can be made to sing again, everything will be alright. Kestrel, Bowman, and Mumpo leave the city through the drains with horrifying old-children clutching at them as they go. They enter the dim and oozing world of the Underlake. And they are off on the most extraordinary adventures. A memorable and spectacular book.

Excellent, I've not read any of these! Thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom