• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

*pokes thread with stick to ensure a currently drama-free environment*

Oh good, it's safe to go in the water again. What're we talking about, airplanes? I've got a good one.

Last summer, I went up to visit my bf for the first time. My flight was scheduled to leave at about 5:30 or so. We board on time, taxi out on to the runway, everything's fine. Then we stop and taxi back into the gate because apparently one of the engines started smoking profusely when we tried to get up the speed to take off. We were told we could stay on the plane because this should be a quick fix, but could get off if we wanted. Soon after, we were told to get off the plane. Apparently, the starter in the engine pretty much blew up, and it was going to be a long fix. By this time, it's around 6, and all of us are getting kinda hungry. But for some stupid-ass reason, every single food vendor in the airport was closed. Now, it's a smallish airport, but I still can't fathom any reason why they would close all their venues so early. But we figured it wouldn't be so bad, because they told us we'd be departing at around 8pm and they brought out water bottles and granola bars and stuff for us. However, as 7pm came around, they told us that the engine had to be completely replaced, and they would have to bring in a new engine from the closest airport (around 2 hours away) and it would take an hour to install, leaving our new departure time at 10pm. I couldn't help it - I wanted so badly to be up there and felt that the universe was conspiring to keep me away from my bf - so I started to cry. I held it back as best I could, but some of the other women were really concerned about me. I was supposed to meet my bf and his grandparents for dinner when I got up there, but at this rate I wasn't going to get there until midnight. Some of the other passengers somehow managed to order us all a bunch of pizzas around 9, so at least we got to eat, and eventually I did make it up to Washington to see him, but at that point, his grandparents had gone home and I was too tired to do anything but get into our hotel room (we were going to a con, okay? :p pervs), shower, and fall asleep. Thankfully, my trip this summer was completely problem-free, but I was a little nervous.

On a completely separate note, guess who volunteered at a writing camp at her old high school last week?

Wow, that stinks, Feli. :/ Cool that people ordered pizza for y'all though, and you got to see your bf anyway.

I had forgotten to mention that when I missed my flight two days in a row, my dad had taken those days off work to see me, but the day I DID arrive, he wasn't able to take anymore time off. It really sucked. He and my mom divorced when I was 4, so I hardly see him anymore. I mean, he and I still have a bond, but it isn't much...

^ :( I can't imagine myself living while my parents are divorced…I feel bad for the people wih divorced parents :(

Is anyone having fun this summer? I used to but now I'm not. The only one I have fun is on friday saturday and Sunday.

Really? Well, it might kind of be a good thing that I don't see my dad a lot, cause when I do see him, he spoils me a little lol. He takes me where ever I'd like during visits, he feeds me shrimp cause he knows it's my favorite food, etc. :p

It isn't always that bad having divorced parents. I live with my mom, but I have regular contact with my dad, as well as visiting him from time to time. But sometimes, it's for the best when parents gets divorced, even though their children disagree with them. I know that from experience.

As for whether or not I've had a fun summer... Not exactly. The weather's been boring most of the time and I've actually missed the trade school I'm educated (I've said that before, right?).

Now for something else. Have you guys and girls seen this? It's a trailer of a mash-up a video game franchise and the western. I think especially you would be interested in seeing this, Kelleo, since you're a fan of this specific franchise (If I remember correct).

Now for something else. Have you guys and girls seen this? It's a trailer of a mash-up a video game franchise and the western. I think especially you would be interested in seeing this, Kelleo, since you're a fan of this specific franchise (If I remember correct).

Oh, that. I saw a link for it on YouTube, wasn't interested. I just now looked at it, though, and while the plot seems interesting, western doesn't fit Zelda, imo. Plus, there are other things wrong with this. Link isn't talking (just because we don't see his dialogue in the games doesn't mean he can't speak!), for one thing, and I thought Zelda was Malon at first (the red hair, purple and white dress, etc.). So it doesn't strike my fancy, I'm afraid. Plus, I'm not interested in westerns anyway.

And haven't you heard of Zelda before? Doesn't anyone else here like Zelda? xP

@Kelleo; I love Zelda! Easily one of Nintendo's best series. My favorite is A Link to the Past. Yourself?
@LightningTopaz; I saw that! It seems pretty cool, and kind of funny. Can't wait to see it.

I was never married, so it's not the same, but... take it from someone who basically forced herself to stay with someone she didn't love for the sake of her kids. Divorce happens and sometimes it's the best thing that can happen in one's life. Being in a loveless relationship just so your kids can have a "normal" family is probably the worst thing you can do to them.

It's a tough situation. It really is. But other people can be father (or second mother/second father) figures to children, often times better than the real father. At least, that's how it was in my situation.

So, divorce is regrettable, but totally fine. It won't have any lasting harmful effects on the children unless the remaining parent is stuck single and jobless forever or they fall in love with someone worse.

Oh, that. I saw a link for it on YouTube, wasn't interested. I just now looked at it, though, and while the plot seems interesting, western doesn't fit Zelda, imo. Plus, there are other things wrong with this. Link isn't talking (just because we don't see his dialogue in the games doesn't mean he can't speak!), for one thing, and I thought Zelda was Malon at first (the red hair, purple and white dress, etc.). So it doesn't strike my fancy, I'm afraid. Plus, I'm not interested in westerns anyway.

Link is one of the penultimate silent protagonists - I think a movie in which the main character didn't speak (except in grunts or gasps like Link does whenever he swings his sword or does anything but walk) would actually be pretty interesting. And the link looks hilarious xD Legend of Zelda as a western just sounds so funny.

Link is one of the penultimate silent protagonists - I think a movie in which the main character didn't speak (except in grunts or gasps like Link does whenever he swings his sword or does anything but walk) would actually be pretty interesting. And the link looks hilarious xD Legend of Zelda as a western just sounds so funny.

Yeah it does. It's certainly the least possible mashup you would expect. I don't think one should take it seriously but just enjoy it. They also did a Dr. Mario/House mashup (which includes multiple video game characters from various franchises). It was quite funny to see Dr. Vily from Megaman series as a rival doctor XD

And Kelleo. The reason why I didn't mention The Legend of Zelda in my comment was because I don't want to make any spoilers.

Link is one of the penultimate silent protagonists

Except he's not really silent. He can speak just as well as anyone. There's hints to this everywhere. Link introducing himself, explaining things to characters, and we see his mouth move too. Also, Toon Link says "Come on!" and "Yay!" in The Wind Waker. It makes absolutely no sense to me not to have him talk in a movie.

@Kelleo; I love Zelda! Easily one of Nintendo's best series. My favorite is A Link to the Past. Yourself?

Oh, well in that case, maybe you should read my Zelda fic! :) You'd understand it best if you had a lot of knowledge about Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (and to a smaller extent, Twilight Princess), though.

As for my favorite game, Skyward Sword. Definitely. Best game ever outside of Fire Emblem, imo. <3 The Minish Cap is second and my favorite handheld Zelda. :3

Wall-e didn't have any dialogue other than "Eve" and "Wall-e".

Just saying. It wouldn't be the first movie to star a (mostly) silent protagonist.

Except he's not really silent. He can speak just as well as anyone. There's hints to this everywhere. Link introducing himself, explaining things to characters, and we see his mouth move too. Also, Toon Link says "Come on!" and "Yay!" in The Wind Waker. It makes absolutely no sense to me not to have him talk in a movie.

-_- If a character doesn't have any spoken lines in dialogue in a game, they're considered a silent character. Gaps in dialogue in places where the character would be introducing themselves or explaining something =/= spoken lines of dialogue, and neither do miscellaneous noises that the character makes when performing an action. That's why Mario is considered a silent protagonist, even though he has numerous flavor lines in many of his games. That's also why the main character in any Pokémon game is considered one, even though they obviously talk with the Professor and other figures, and why Samus was (and should have stayed) one.

Wall-e didn't have any dialogue other than "Eve" and "Wall-e".

Just saying. It wouldn't be the first movie to star a (mostly) silent protagonist.

Yeah, I know. And Wall-E kicked ass. I'm just saying, wouldn't it be cool to see a video game movie that actually held true to the story of a video game and it's mechanics?

-_- If a character doesn't have any spoken lines in dialogue in a game, they're considered a silent character. Gaps in dialogue in places where the character would be introducing themselves or explaining something =/= spoken lines of dialogue, and neither do miscellaneous noises that the character makes when performing an action. That's why Mario is considered a silent protagonist, even though he has numerous flavor lines in many of his games. That's also why the main character in any Pokémon game is considered one, even though they obviously talk with the Professor and other figures, and why Samus was (and should have stayed) one.

Well, I personally find that logic to be stupid. To me, if a character speaks, they speak. Regardless of whether or not their dialogue is shown. Simple as that.

Well, I personally find that logic to be stupid. To me, if a character speaks, they speak. Regardless of whether or not their dialogue is shown. Simple as that.

Well, then you find it stupid. But that's what it means to be a silent protagonist in a video game. Personally, I find the logic that a silent protagonist must never make any vocalization ever, implied or otherwise, to be stupid.

I agree with Feli. Mario was a perfect example. He says all kinds of things, but is mostly silent. You never hear him talk, they use some kind of gibberish sound effect when he's talking to imply that he's talking in the Mario and Luigi games. He doesn't have any actual lines of dialogue, though.

Off topic: I'm a Luigi fanboy as well as a Red one. Go Weegee!

@Kelleo; Oh, I forgot Skyward Sword. Easily second. It's such a good game. I'd say it's one of the best games for the Wii, right up there with the Super Mario Galaxy series. Handheld....hmm I don't know. Possibly Spirit Tracks, maybe even Phantom Hourglass.

@Red; I'm a Luigi fangirl myself! Luigi's the awesomest when it comes to the Mario games. :D

And haven't you played Minish Cap? If not, you must, it is really awesome and fun! Though kind of short. I admit to being a Four Sword Zelda fangirl, but Minish Cap is absolutely amazing.

Oh, and yes, the SMG games are amazing too! My favorite Wii games after FE: Radiant Dawn and Zelda: Skyward Sword. <3

And speaking of Fire Emblem, I'm an Ike fangirl too. I just love him! I love his personality, he just kicks ass when he fights, he gets to wield the coolest weapons ever, and he's SO hot. <3

I know most of you guys who are writing pokemon fanfics probably have everything set in stone and established and all of that, but would anyone be interested in a "Need a Nickname?" thread? I'm having trouble thinking of a name for the Steelix one of my characters owns, and I'm pretty sure other people have trouble with nicknames.

It could even be extended to character names too, if needed.

Back
Top Bottom