• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I still have yet to write anything substantial this month. At work, I get all these awesome ideas, and I feel like I could write for hours on end, but when I get home, I'm exhausted, and it's gone.

i don't think people know exhaustion as much as i do.

too much work ever since i started school. i don't have time for writing anymore which frustrates me considering i am in this school for creative writing. all they're doing is biding their sweet time by giving us tests on grammar and shit. when can we get to the writing already? goddamn.

too much work ever since i started school. i don't have time for writing anymore which frustrates me considering i am in this school for creative writing. all they're doing is biding their sweet time by giving us tests on grammar and shit. when can we get to the writing already? goddamn.

Oh, you're in school? I'm working so I can go to school. I mostly do yardwork for hours on end, but sometimes my boss sees fit to send me to help work on oil rigs for whatever reasons. He's also said that soon, he'll be having me drive to the panhandle of Oklahoma, which is about a 15-hour round trip.

I believe Lady Lucifer is still in grade school. :p

I'd be in college, but I never did well in it, so I've turned to job training instead. I get experience without needing a degree, and I can take classes that I want and actually can pass without having to take stuff like math or other classes college requires that I've never done really well in.

I'm in my final year of high school, so naturally it's busy as balls and I haven't been able to write jack for months. It's a real downer, actually. :/

Try working three back to back days, about 9-10 hours each, of electrical work :D

That's the only part of my job that I didn't like when I could still do it. One project I was working on had me running wires from a back room all the way to the front counter of a convenience store that was opening up. I had to first find a hole in the wall to get the wires through.

Then I had to spend about 9 hours the first day running the first two batches of wires along the wall, hanging them on the ceiling. That's the worst part, working above you, swinging hammers, working with staples, brackets and all of that good stuff. The next day was the same with the other three lines of wire.

Day three was the worst though, I had to hang about 36 light fixtures, assemble and wire them up properly. Let's just say it's barely worth the time investment, especially when you're on a tight schedule.

I'm not really trying to diminish your school-related exhaustion as I'm well aware of how that can be. I just like complaining whenever I can about the tough times I have with my (old) job.

I'm not feeling real confident. I won an award last time, but I'd prefer that another one of my fics get something this time, to keep things fresh. But since few people here seem to be interested in Fire Emblem or Super Mario stories, I doubt many have read mine. xP

Well one can't be picky xD no seriously you can't, it's better if you just let things come as they go if you know that there's an area you excel at then keep focusing on that.

It's just they don't interest me at the end of the day, I mean Fire Emblem did get me a little interested when I was a kid but I never liked it like that and Mario for me is just another way to entertain myself when I'm super bored.

Yeah, that's true. It'd also be nice to get Fic of the Month someday too...

Going to be interesting to see which fanfics will be nominated this time.

On another note, today I've started a new year of education to become a programmer and it felt good to see everyone again. We're also talking about arranging an event for the first year students on friday (the ones taking the same education as us).

I can't help but feel some people around here aren't quite understanding what the awards are supposed to be, and, seeing as I've been around for a while, I'll take this chance to make sure you guys understand.

Not everyone gets an award. I know it's something that's desirable, to say the least, but it's not something to keep in mind while you're writing. Write what you want to write, and don't write for an award. The awards are, quite simply, an incentive for writers to put effort into their works, and a recognition for those authors who have gone above and beyond. When you write something while trying to win an award, chances are, your story will suffer because you're trying to force it to fit your vision, rather than letting it grow on its own.

you know

i'm not going to win any awards because i'm doing geometry homework instead of writing ;3;.

you know

i'm not going to win any awards because i'm doing geometry homework instead of writing ;3;.
That's probably a good thing. Your real life should come first. That's part of the reason I've done so little writing lately- I've been dividing my time between work and reworking my westernized retelling of Journey to the West.

Hi. Kinda new to this forum, exactly. Thought I'd talk about writing a little.

I often take inspiration for my threads from Pokedex entries. For example, I'm currently writing a story on a society of Charmander/Charmeleon/Charizard that was inspired from what I read in the Pokedex entries. Charmander are innocent and curious, but emotional; Charmeleon are aggressive and competitive, which I imagine is a lot like a teenage jock; and Charizard become more powerful with age, so I figured a sort of elder-led society.

Does anyone else do the same?

Hi, Luciole! Welcome to the workshop :)

I actually take a lot of inspiration from the games themselves, including pokedex entries. To me, it's really fun to work within the limits of an established canon and see what can be done with that. Your idea sounds really cool, and I'd be really interested in reading that story whenever you're ready to post it.

As for awards...damn, already? Feels like it's barely been any time at all. I don't expect to win - hell, it was enough of a shock that my story won something last time - but especially now since my story's been on hiatus for so long and attention has dropped. Good luck to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom