• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

you know

i felt like writing when i got home today

but then i realized i have a stupid essay i have to do about what i did this summer, with 25 different nouns in it. ugh i'm so fucking tired of this boring bullshit.

I heard she's 14, so I'm guessing 8th or 9th grade. I can't remember when I last had to do an assignment like that for school though.

I didn't do any writing today (yet) because I was watching a marathon of my favorite TV show. It gets a marathon every Tuesday (though I can watch it on Netflix as well, some episodes are missing from there, so I wait for those to show up on TV), and it's getting another on Sunday for Labor Day weekend. :D

I just hope all this doesn't take away TOO much time for me to get something ready for my co-author when he gets back next week.

My current status: frothing at the mouth in attempt to get my fanfic to drop today or tomorrow, but finding it rather difficult to get a person to look over around 30.0KB of text and see if it's stylistically all right. :/

Technically could be as much as 124KB, but gotta get that first one in order at least.

You want boring, Lady Lucifer? Try being graduated and yet completely and totally unable to find a job and having nothing to do all day except sit around and pray to God that someone will actually get back to you.

30KB? Wow--how many pages is that

Depends on your resolution, which is why I prefer to go by filesize. For similar reasons, chapters with a lot of spacing from dialogue can add up to more pages, even if there isn't as much text. Though for the record, in my fully maximized Wordpad with a margin of 15, it's 12.75 pages.

You want boring, Lady Lucifer? Try being graduated and yet completely and totally unable to find a job and having nothing to do all day except sit around and pray to God that someone will actually get back to you.

I'm in the same situation. Unless you're referring to college? Then I don't even have that because I sucked no matter how hard I tried. I'm working on getting job training instead.

Our society in America is completely broken in terms of education having an effect on your eligibility for jobs. It seems the less education you have, the more willing people are to hire you.

Take my friend Mary Jo. She dropped out of high school in the middle of junior year. She has no skills of any kind, yet somehow she's landed a job as assistant manager at a local supermarket. Meanwhile my mom, who has a PhD in bio-chemistry, a master's degree in robotics and is a licensed physical therapist has only been able to find a job as a secretary ever since the economy crashed after 9/11 and her job was "downsized". Talk about fair, eh?

Even the most simple of entry level jobs always require two to three years of experience or other qualifications that you seemingly can't get unless you break the law or cut some sort of deal. They offer minimum wage for tasks that are honestly above that and usually offer no benefits of any kind. And people wonder why our job market is in the gutter.

It's gotten to the point where my mom is thinking of moving over seas to a country where her skills are actually in high demand and short supply, because she certainly isn't going to be getting a job over here anytime soon, and that's just sad for someone who's invested so much of her time and effort into bettering herself than I'd say damn near 90% of the world.

Getting a job here in Denmark is also difficult at the moment because of the economic crash a few years back. And the example you've given, Caitlin, also happens here. There was one case where a student finished university as a scientists, yet the only work she could find was at a super market. My big brother on the other hand, doesn't have an education besides "folkeskole-eksamen" (I believe it's the same as middle school with an exam), yet he has 20 years of experience working, which is the very reason he can easily find work.

If little education gets you a job, then why won't people hire me? I only have a high school degree and I'm available immediately and at any time. Education level must have some effect.

@Caitlin; Your friend who is an assistant manager in a supermarket, surely didn't walk straight into that job, right? Presumably, first she was just a shelf stacker or something, and then worked her way up?

Admittedly, increasingly it seems like three years of experience at a non-graduate job might actually be a better investment of your time than getting a degree, and you'll be getting money instead of losing it.

It's just not fair. I've worked so damn hard to get to where I am, and I'm getting desperate enough for a job that I'm actually considering looking at the Wal-Mart about 20 minutes away, but a good friend of mine - who, I might add, is flighty, hyper, about to start her fifth year of college after changing her major about as many times, spends all her time and money going to concerts or conventions, and who's life goal back in high school was to be on American Idol or some other reality show - is now personal friends with a semi-famous singer, served as the assistant director for his latest music video, and has been actually invited to join his band as a backup singer because he likes her voice. Did I mention that he's considering touring in Japan next year? But she was the social butterfly, so she gets everything she ever wanted plopped right into her lap while I'm struggling to find a shitty retail job.

Yeah, life's not fair, Feliciano.

My stepbrothers have god damn prison records, yet they've been able to find work just like that. And I'm still stuck with my parents!

Back
Top Bottom