• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Yeah, I can't think of a single story I've posted (and left totally unfinished) that Legacy hasn't commented on.

Huh. That kinda makes me feel guilty.

Don't beat yourself up about it. It's easy to get lower grades than you deserve at something like creative writing. Most of the greatest writers of all time did, in fact.

this^

Can't be a real artist until you're a misunderstood artist! ;)

Art and creative writing teachers generally have no idea what art really is and follow rule books... which also have no idea what art and writing are about.

Anyways, this is a strange request, but I'm looking for feedback on something. It's been a few days now and I've only gotten about a whopping one opinion on it, so I'll try here. I'm doing some (extremely) basic design schematics for a Star Trek ship and I've got a top down view done. However, I've had trouble deciding which to go for in terms of the red section of the ship:

g72Ou.png

I'm disliking the rounded "mushroom" look, but the jagged look also doesn't feel right. Opinions?

@Caitlin;

Out of those two, I prefer the left. The only change I could suggest is to have the red bit go in from its widest point to the top point at a completely even rate giving it a much pointier look, but one that looks a bit better (imo) than the second image. Don't know if that made sense or you'd like that idea, but that's just my thoughts.

Also EVERYONE!!!

Nominations for the Awards close tomorrow, so if you've been sitting on your nominations and waiting, make sure you get them in! Since there hasn't been much activity this time, I will probably do some nominations myself for the first time since I have been Section Head. There are people who I know deserve to be nominated but haven't been. Quite disappointing, I am usually very pleased when I see how eager to congratulate each other this community is. It's a shame to see that not be the case this time round. I hope it is just to do with this being the start of the school/university year for a lot of people and thus a difficult time for reading. I really hope that the January 2013 Awards are a different story.

ACK! I've really lost track of time. I'm going to be doing some serious reading, reviewing, and nominating tonight.

Ooh, SQUEE, one of my characters got nominated in the awards! I SO never expected that! :D

And it's Kelli from my Zelda fic no less. Y'all can be sure I'll never discontinue that story here. :)

Unfortunately, it may be awhile before the next chapter is out. Dungeon chapters are more difficult than the others, and I have few ideas so far for the Sun Temple as of now, so... >_<

I'm thinking of naming Misty's sisters after different weather conditions, rather than leaving them with the names from the anime... There'd by Wendy, who would use Flying-types, Sunny, who'd use Fire-types, and Stormy, who'd use Electric-types.

I'm thinking of naming Misty's sisters after different weather conditions, rather than leaving them with the names from the anime... There'd by Wendy, who would use Flying-types, Sunny, who'd use Fire-types, and Stormy, who'd use Electric-types.

It's an interesting concept but I think you can do better than the last two. Sunny is medicore while Stormy is just plain dreadful.

Knowing the usually excellent standard of your writing I think you really can do better than that, Lugion.

As I said, though, the concept is really cool. Much better than having them be a quartet of Water types which is not nearly as interesting.

I dunno what to do for an Electric-type sister, but "Summer" would work better than "Sunny" for Fire-type. I've yet to meet a girl named Sunny but I've met plenty of Summers over the years.

I think he's trying to keep the ***y pattern. Like: "It's misty outside," or "it's sunny outside." If that's the case, I honestly can't think of anything better than what he's got :p

I dunno what to do for an Electric-type sister, but "Summer" would work better than "Sunny" for Fire-type. I've yet to meet a girl named Sunny but I've met plenty of Summers over the years.

My niece's name is Sunny (well, sorta niece. She's my stepbrother's kid). I think it's a cute name. Much cuter than Summer, imo.

It's an interesting concept but I think you can do better than the last two. Sunny is medicore while Stormy is just plain dreadful.

Knowing the usually excellent standard of your writing I think you really can do better than that, Lugion.

As I said, though, the concept is really cool. Much better than having them be a quartet of Water types which is not nearly as interesting.

What @AetherX; said. :p

I'm pretty sure all her sisters have the "____y" pattern in their names in the anime. This way, they're all weather conditions... and I don't have to reuse "Daisy". But if I think of something better, I'll be sure to let you all know.

No, only Daisy and Lily have a y at the end. Violet doesn't. Misty is the only one not named for a flower for some reason. xP

I've been sort of toying with the idea of writing a medical drama-type story set in the Pokemon world, only instead of taking place in a human hospital the characters are mostly workers at a Pokemon center.

There would be other stuff in the background, but I'm actually thinking I want to have a bit of fun with exploring how the average person would have lived in that universe, rather than keeping the focus on serious trainers/evil teams/League people.

So, I'm having a bit of a dilemma here, when it comes to NaNoWriMo. I'm split between two ideas, both of which I feel are solid. Because of this, I'd like to ask for the counsel of the wise Bulbagardeners.

The first idea is a sort of bildungsroman about a boy who discovers that he is the last product of a Cold War era "super soldier" project combining eugenics and selective breeding. This boy is approached by two opposing groups, both comprised of other products of this same project: a UN-affiliated peacekeeping organization similar in spirit to Marvel's S.H.I.E.L.D.; and a group of revolutionaries dedicated to the restoration of world peace, though overthrowing the world's government and installing themselves as its new leaders. He must decide, of course, which side he will join.

The second is an epic high fantasy tale that has been developing in my mind for years, about a princess, a bandit, and a warrior, among others, searching for the long-lost land of Eden, also called Utopia, where mankind originated, and their struggle against Daimonas, the last son of Daimao, the (slain) King of Demons. It's a much larger project, and I doubt I could finish it in a single month, though I could get a solid start.

Obviously, I plan on writing both of these stories at some point, but I'm torn as to which I should proceed with at present.

Back
Top Bottom