• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I know I should really be more creative, but with some of the Pokemon, that is very little you can do with them. Like your idea for Farfetch'd, I have seen that both in the anime and in countless fan fics when it does get used. It's kind of a one hit Pokemon that is fairly boring and self contained. Ones Lapras you can do a lot with as it is awesome, same with ones that seem dull like Pachirisu and Emolga, but a lot of unevolving Pokemon probably don't have evolutions as the creators know how dull they are :p

COMPLETELY UNRELATED!!! But just pointing out that we have changed how long fics are displayed in the main part of the Workshop before disappearing. It used to only display them for a month, which meant they quickly faded away if not updated and we would have two pages of stories on show. Now the forum will display fics that were updated within a year, so there are now 18 pages of fics for people to look through :) While a lot of them may be long done and cannot be nominated for awards, they are still well worth a read

I know I should really be more creative, but with some of the Pokemon, that is very little you can do with them. Like your idea for Farfetch'd, I have seen that both in the anime and in countless fan fics when it does get used. It's kind of a one hit Pokemon that is fairly boring and self contained. Ones Lapras you can do a lot with as it is awesome, same with ones that seem dull like Pachirisu and Emolga, but a lot of unevolving Pokemon probably don't have evolutions as the creators know how dull they are :p

Ironically enough, I'd write Lapras as a fat, lumbering beast with almost no mobility on land, and isn't much better in the water. To compensate, and not making it completely useless, I'd give it the much-needed ability to take hits like a boss, even with no training. I mean sure, it can learn a variety of move types, but super effective, pft. Regardless of what the characters think, no reader's going to blink when a Lapras pulls a Thunderbolt. You can raise it to do a lot of different things, but that one huge handicap is always going to be a factor. Of course, that just makes one who can frantically bound forth at a respectable speed all the more impressive...

I mean of course, I'm probably the only person ever who writes like that. But still, going off Farfetch'd, and ignoring the fact that it gets passable move variety as well, you could write one as focusing on its air and beak game. You could write one to use its leek in a defensive manner, while pulling out the likes of Featherdance and Mud Slap and basically be a gigantic troll. You could write one that pumps itself up out of harm's way. You could ignore that I said to ignore that it has passable move variety, and just make one that has all the types it can wrap its handfeathers around. You could write one as worthless and with no direction!

Let's try it with something else - Bastiodon. Certainly it seems damned to a defensive role, right? Not true! Have one that can run fast, and suddenly that head of its is a wall of doom threatening to crush the opposition. How about a Bastiodon that, if you dare attack it, WILL Metal Burst your sorry ass - hit it hard, and it just hits you harder; chip away, and you get chipped away at quicker. You can have one that gets up close and personal because it knows there's nothing you can do about it, or have one that just sits back and kills you from afar with rocks, making your life even more miserable.

Or maybe Volbeat. What the hell can Volbeat do for us, chronic underachiever that he is? Well, if you think move types make a difference, it does get a suprising amount of that. No one will be impressed at a Lapras Thunderbolt, but how about a Volbeat Thunderbolt? Followed by a Shadow Ball allowing it to move in with Zen Headbutt? Its ass-end lights up, so certainly there's leniancy for plan Flash your buttcheeks (then zoom around with Quick Attack while they're gathering their bearings). You still have the option of writing a generic bug with generic buggy stuff. Or how about this? Someone has a Volbeat. People know its weak to Fire and Flying, so they bring those in thinking they got an easy fight. But HOLY SHIT THIS SON OF A BITCH'S GOT RAIN DANCE. And it's bringing down Tail Glowed Thunders on everything! Oh hey, that's a nice Rock type ya got there. Have a Water Pulse.

You can even go against the expected flow. Jolteon's supposed to be a speedy striker, you say? How about a Jolteon who just goes Emperor Palpatine on everyone's ass, being slower although perhaps a little more precise. Or maybe a Hypno who forgets about any status and fights in hand-to-hand.

So yeah. There's tons of different ways you can go with anything. As long as it makes sense and you present it well, you should be in the money. When it boils right down to it, there's actually very little that's excessively limited.

@System Error That is fairly impressive, you seem to be an expert on these sorts of things! My feelings on Pokemon are not confined to stats or anything though, as I too use Bastiodon as an attacker rather than defender. It is more if a Pokemon is interesting or not, and a lot of the unevolved Pokemon are just frankly very boring in my own personal opinion, and I am talking from a personality perspective, not from a battling perspective.

@Instrutilus: Indeed, I spend far too much time planning :p

@Instrutilus: Indeed, I spend far too much time planning :p

Do remember to whom you address and then restate that sentence :L

Speaking of planning, one of my stories won't be ready in time for the intended release, so it's delayed....the story, mind you, gonna write up another, shorter one to act in it's stead and go for the second set release for the delayed one. Yeaaaaaah, too bad for the A.D lovers =P (like they exist |D)

I know I haven't been around much lately, but just wanted to drop by and say, "Hi," to everybody! Hope all are having a great new year.

I have decided to continue fic writing. I have something new planned. I'm working on it now :) I hope to see more of you guys in the coming weeks. Great work, everyone!

How much planning do you usually do for your stories? Do you just write ideas down or do you plan every little detail out?

I'll write ideas down in a notebook for chapters but I'm not the type to plan everything out down to the last detail.

My "Ideas quotes and snippets" folder for my Pokemon story has 36 text files at about 110KB. My "Character biographies" folder has 17 text files at about 232KB (and that's just for planned major characters who appear in more than 5 chapters). My "Region background" folder contains 6 text files ranging from history, current affairs, landmarks, etc. My "Misc" folder has about 75 text files, but not a lot in them. I've only written 8 chapters (and three in my reboot), but had 80 meticulously planned out so I'd have lots to draw from in terms of foreshadowing.

I overplan to a fault and that's probably why everything I touch dies shortly after it starts.

I draw up an outline of the entire plot. It helps me stay focused and pace the story better if I at least have a little bit of an idea of how the end will play out. For characters, I make notes about their personalities and how they behave and write accordingly.

I like to have a very good idea of the plot before I start writing. Both of my current fanfics were inspired by role plays, so those sort of acted as rough planning pages. Once I begin writing, I like to jot down all of my ideas for small details in a composition book. I also write down reflections and observations on events that I've already written.

I like to try and keep a notebook with me but if I don't I'll put it on my phone for later. I don't do much long term planning because by the time it gets to that point the story line has changed and it's not even useful anymore.

I meticulously plan everything out in order to make sure my stories all fit together in my world, and also because I have a lot of plot that has to develop over time for small details and stuff to make sense, so I need to make sure I know all my details. I have a mix of hand written synopses to small details gathered together from discussions with friends.

A reminder that there is a week left to apply for moderator positions, and the Workshop is looking to fill the spots left behind by Drakon and Misheard Whisper. If you think you are up to the task, make sure you get your application in!

I know I haven't been around much lately, but just wanted to drop by and say, "Hi," to everybody! Hope all are having a great new year.

I have decided to continue fic writing. I have something new planned. I'm working on it now :) I hope to see more of you guys in the coming weeks. Great work, everyone!

This is excellent news! I'm really happy to hear this!

Yeah, we'll I've been missing the fandom, so I figured I would try to write something.

I received a full scholarship to this private, preparatory school that I've wanted to go to for the longest of times~ :D.

Back
Top Bottom