• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I definitely do not want to sound insensitive, because I'm shocked by this attack as well and I can't really understand why would anyone do that. Anyways, what I wanted to point out is, that there are many children in non-developed countries dying on a daily basis, about who no-one really knows and unfortunately only a few people really care. But as I said, it's a terrible thing and such loss is simply stupid and unreasonable. Oh well, may they rest in peace now :<

The reason for this is that it's a lot easier to relate to people in Boston than it is to people in undeveloped countries.

Say, for example, 9/11 happened now rather than in 2001 (since I'm actually aware of the consequences and implications of such an event now). Would I be shocked and terrified? Absolutely! But would it be so bad that I would be pushed to tears? Probably not, and I'm a pretty sensitive person. This is because it happened on the east coast. I've never been there. I know it exists, but it's not really part of "my" world. If someone had crashed a plane into the Space Needle though, that would be a very different story. Not nearly as many people would have died, but I would be much more affected since Seattle is very near and dear to me (both literally and figuratively). I've never been to Boston, but it's a lot more similar to home than some undeveloped country. Empathy is key.

As you said though, one way or another it's unreasonable and sad.

I definitely do not want to sound insensitive, because I'm shocked by this attack as well and I can't really understand why would anyone do that. Anyways, what I wanted to point out is, that there are many children in non-developed countries dying on a daily basis, about who no-one really knows and unfortunately only a few people really care. But as I said, it's a terrible thing and such loss is simply stupid and unreasonable. Oh well, may they rest in peace now :<

Well, there isn't much the US can do about that, unfortunately, especially since it has its own problems to deal with (economy issues, and now terrorists attacking Boston). Also, I'd more so blame that on the poorly developed countries than anyone else. They should at least try to be developed more.

Also, what AetherX said. Except in my case, I care most about Pittsburgh, where I'm from.

tl;dr the entire damn world is fucked up but any individual person only has the capacity to care about so much so far away

They should at least try to be developed more.

Okay, Kelleo, I have to stop you there. I know you mean absolutely no offense, but that's no different than me telling you that you should be more socially adept. There are so many factors going on in countries like that, and very few of them can actually do anything about it.

Yeah, that's a pretty messed up thing to say, Kelleo. Most of the 'underdeveloped countries' you speak of are controlled by dictators, terrorists and guerrilla armies who oppress and keep their people in fear as a means of controlling them to make themselves rich and powerful out of greed and cruelty. The average citizen would love their country to be more developed, but in a lot of those places even speaking out against the regime can get you and your entire family killed. They are almost completely powerless. In most of them the government controls the information in their countries so the citizens don't even know what it's like in other countries. Telling them to be like other developed countries is kind of ridiculous, not to mention insensitive.

Sorry, it isn't my fault I didn't know any of that.

Also, the thing is, I agree that I should be more socially adept. My social skills are garbage most of the time and it irritates me.

Also, the thing is, I agree that I should be more socially adept. My social skills are garbage most of the time and it irritates me.

Yeah, but how is just telling you going to help? You have Asperger's, right? So me just telling you isn't going to fix things.

But I digress. The world can be a very horrible place to people, and things are rarely as simple as fiction makes them out to be.

Holy balls how did I not notice that before having Asperger's doesn't make saying stuff like that any more okay. It's like telling an amputee it's his fault his legs are gone and then saying he isn't growing them back out of sheer laziness. Your own ignorance isn't an excuse, I don't care how inoffensive you thought you were being.

Okay guys I think Kelleo gets it. But on the topic of being unintentionally insensitive...

It's like telling an amputee it's his fault his legs are gone and then saying he isn't growing them back out of sheer laziness.

The image of an amputee straining really hard to grow his legs back has reduced me to tears of laughter. I should probably go to bed.

I'm going to feel terrible about this in the morning

I will lodge my official word and say that we should move onto another subject before it gets any worse - just remember, everyone, to double check what you post before you do so :)

I saw Perks of Being a Wallflower today. It is probably on DVD by now in the rest of the world, and I would highly recommend it if you have not seen it!

Sorry, it isn't my fault I didn't know any of that.

Ridiculous.

I will lodge my official word and say that we should move onto another subject before it gets any worse - just remember, everyone, to double check what you post before you do so :)

I saw Perks of Being a Wallflower today. It is probably on DVD by now in the rest of the world, and I would highly recommend it if you have not seen it!

Pretty solid movie/book. Awful ending.

I said we were changing the topic, which includes referencing the previous stuff. I think the movie executed the ending better than the book did, as the book was quite jarring with it, but the movie did sort of build it up and the acting was done well.

Anyway, I've never heard of this movie you're talking about AT. What's it about?

Also, it's been four days since I made my request in the review game. I hope someone reviews the fic I decided on soon...

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it's been four days since I made my request in the review game. I hope someone reviews the fic I decided on soon...

I would, but it's based on Super Mario Galaxy and that game made me frustrated so I'm not even going to touch anything associated with it.

I would, but it's based on Super Mario Galaxy and that game made me frustrated so I'm not even going to touch anything associated with it.

I hope you're not saying this because I turned down your fic. If not, my apologies. I found SMG to be an easy game for the most part though. Didn't really get frustrated until the Trial Galaxies and the Luigi's Purple Coins level. xP

Flaze: Heh, if you say so.

A Super Mario Galaxy fic? That reminds of the time I wrote part of a We ♥ Katamari fic, lol.

Not exactly. It takes elements from the SMG games (such as some of the power ups and some special power stars, as well as Rosalina), but I wouldn't quite call it an SMG fic. It also has elements from Luigi's Mansion (Professor E. Gadd, a Poltergust, ghosts, and haunted mansion) and Super Mario World (the abilities Yoshi gains when holding different colored shells). It also mentions the events from Yoshi's Island and has Kamek as one of the enemies (and he was one of the villains in Yoshi's Island). Heck, it also has an element or two from Super Paper Mario (Luigi's Super Jump) and Smash Bros. (Luigi Cyclone and Fire Jump Punch. The latter is reduced to a regular fire punch though, to keep it from being overpowered/broken). It's really a fic based on several games in the Mario franchise.

However, it DOES chronologically take place after Super Mario Galaxy 1 and the first Luigi's Mansion.

Back
Top Bottom