• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I think the "noi" in Noivern could also be from "noise"... I mean, it was shown using Boomburst which definitely seems like a sound-based attack and the official Pokemon website also says something about using ultrasonic waves to find its way in the dark (much like how a bat irl moves), so yeah.

The thing about Vivillon's wing patterns holding a secret seems really interesting as well, but I'm much more intrigued by its preevolution, Spewpa, just wondering what it looks like. XD

Fair point @AetherX :p I find Jiggly beating Dragonite weirder though, as they are both much older characters/Pokemon and it has never happened before.

Does anyone think they are going to write Gen 6 though? I have already decided that I will never have the time to reach there, so I am going to wrap my verse up with B2W2.

As much as I hate Fairy and especially Sylveon, I do admit it's amusing how there's two bits of retroactive irony in my fic involving both - first off, in one scene in 1-3. I intentionally overestimated on the number of Eeveelutions to cover all hypothetical bases in my fic to give it a grander scale...and then it goes and comes along. Then one of its better moves is revealed to exploit the moon to its advantage. My immediate thought after seeing Sylveon was to show the aftermath of a battle in 2-7 where one has just had its shit wrecked. And well, I did call it a "worthless species of Pokemon" there too to boot, but in my fic if a physical or energy source is used in a move (like from Solarbeam, Surf, or Moonlight) it actually needs to be present to use said move. The power of the moon is quite limited during the day...so really with that powerful potential off the table in my logical world, it's not inaccurate?

Then again, I messed with basically all types except Dark to the point of where they each fight and feel differently, also buffing several types and nerfing...well, mostly Water, really. Which was collectively really fun to think up, by the way. So I dunno, maybe I could make an Ice/Fairy really be the strongest or some shit. :p And at least it wasn't Fabric!

How do we all feel about all the news to come out from the Developer's Roundtable? I think Hordes and Sky Battles are pretty interesting to work into the games: it is like something out of a fanfic made real! Talonflame is my favourite new Pokemon of the day, looks pretty cool even if it has an uninspired name (Why not Wingember, or Beakinferno?). From a gaming perspective, I have never once done any international, connecting with overseas players stuff with the games: I can't access it from my own wi-fi or my at my friends house, so I ain't bothered and I don't feel as though I've missed out at all :p

I've heard about the new Fairy type and all I can say is that as long as Smogon's unhappy, I'm happy.

Also, TalonFlame sounds like it'd be the name of a DragonForce-esque band in the Pokemon world. Probably something I ought to keep in mind the next time I'm worldbuilding.

Same, Ace - I really do like Talonflame's design (though I think Noivern does look cooler by a bit xD), but its name, ugh. Oh well, at least the name's a bit better than some of those others from back in Gen V which I couldn't even pronounce for the life of me. xD And it doesn't sound too stupid of a name either, just uncreative/unoriginal, but I can deal with it, I guess. *forever calling it something else* also, am I the only person who feels that Skrelp is really similar to Corphish/Crawdaunt with being crustacean and the Crabhammer and everything? xD I dunno, I just think it seems a bit repetitive - just like Vivillon being Bug/Flying; I think we have enough of those, personally. *shrug*

Horde encounters sound pretty interesting as well. I liiike the concept, but it could potentially be very risky to be encountering multiple Pokemon at once with only one of your own 'mons on your side of the battlefield. This is especially true, I think, for Nuzlocke challenges, where your 'mon could easily get KOd/get piled on. At the same time, it would definitely give a nice large amount of EXP, so that'd be pretty good as well. :3

Last edited:
Does anyone think they are going to write Gen 6 though? I have already decided that I will never have the time to reach there, so I am going to wrap my verse up with B2W2.
Probably not, I'm still stuck in Generation IV and will remain there until I finish my story. Should be ready for Gen 8 by then. :p

MM: Yeah, it is not as unimaginative as plenty of other names, but it is still pretty dull, especially as the other new names are rather decent - even Gogoat is better than Talonflame :p And they always repeat Pokemon: basically all the regional birds and rodents are the same, a lot of the bug types blend into one another after a while.

And I do wonder how rare Hordes will be, as it is the sort of thing that could get annoying pretty quickly. It adds more realism, as I do think Pokemon would travel together in packs in the wild, but it would definitely make training a bitch. Imagine a Magikarp horde :p

Caitlin: Hey, I have two Kanto set stories and a Sinnoh - I still haven't done Hoenn let alone Gen VI! :p

I love the idea of the Fairy type and I think Sylveon is absolutely adorable. I'm going to use one on my team. :D

So this means so far, my team is made up of three Fire types (I think, since I don't know for sure if one of them is actually Fire type), one Flying type, and a Fairy type...lol not very balanced, but I don't care lol. Fennekin is too adorable, I think Talonflame looks so cool, and Shishiko is cute as hell. And Sylveon I just explained. :D

A fairy type? Well, that's definitely going to be interesting. I wonder how they are going to define it. And a new lion Pokemon. I wonder, are they going to create a tiger Pokemon, or a Hyena Pokemon? A hyena Pokemon would be real interesting, since those are real nasty animals. They break elephant bones in their teeth, for real.

Poochyena and Mightyena were partly based on hyenas, I think. They're Dark types too, which fit the nastiness of hyenas.

I'd say Raikou is a tiger as well.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Mightyena. They are based partially on hyenas. But they aren't really based on the spotted hyena (also known as the classic Laughing Hyena). It would be nice to see a Pokemon based on it, that also plays up the angle of that animal having the strongest jaws of all land mammals...and the aggression.

There are multiple pokemon based around the same species of animal, so a new hyena pokemon isn't out of the question.

This happened:

[video=youtube;u6PXba8X6N8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=u6PXba8X6N8[/video]

And I do wonder how rare Hordes will be, as it is the sort of thing that could get annoying pretty quickly. It adds more realism, as I do think Pokemon would travel together in packs in the wild, but it would definitely make training a bitch. Imagine a Magikarp horde :p
Just think, this way we get 5(or was it 6?) times the Zubat in caves! Though training could go both ways, you would get experience for all of them I think so it shouldn't be that bad, only problem is you have to handle all of them.

Also it's been a week since the Review Game has had activity. Anyone want to get the fic? If it is nominated this is a great way to read and then vote on itor not vote, but we all know it should be voted for

Back
Top Bottom