• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Had my Eagle Court of Honor today. Got letters from the Pope and President Obama. Nice, but exhausting.

Nice. I have mine planned for next week. I'm not going for the special letters thing but it still takes a huge amount of prep because my troop is huge and the conservative estimate for attendance is 80 people... I also got the badge two years ago, so I can't really complain because I've had time to plan.

A huge congratulations to the both of you. Eagle Scout is an awesome achievement. To this day it is one of the few things that I've done that I'm really proud of.

If you wear a belt, get yourself one of these. It's a great way to subtly show off how awesome you are in public.

Basically, there's a global Scouting movement that is really just a group of loosely aligned national scouting organizations that share a few basic tenants. In effect, they all acknowledge that the same guy founded it, are youth organizations (exact definition of "youth" varies), are generally co-ed and focus on character, leadership, service, etc.

In America we have two Scouting organizations because we never really got the whole gender integration thing. The male one, The Boy Scouts of America, has a system of ranks that signify achievements and activity. The last one is Eagle Scout, which basically means that a scout stayed in to get the five or six ranks below it and then did some extra work. Most notably, candidates have to plan and manage a service project of some sort, but the harder part is usually getting a host of more minor accomplishments that designate competence in a subject or task. And then if you do all of that and some leadership stuff, you can sit before a panel of judges who evaluate if you deserve the rank or not. And then you can get your Eagle badge.

A pretty small percentage of people in the organization as a whole reach it. Probably went into more detail than I needed to there, but that's basically the answer.

Hey all!

So, to "celebrate" the revealing of Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, i was gonna do a May/Brendan fic as She/He travels through the Hoenn region. With one twist. Its a scriptfic. Would anyone like to see this? :)

EDIT: If preferred, i will make it a normal fanfiction.

EDIT2: Lel. 69th post :D

As far as my personal preferences are concerned, I like to see original characters in journeyfics. Script fic, why not, I know that there's a well done one somewhere. Wind and Rain, I think it's called. But anyway, write what you like! Seriously, with fanfiction you need to be enjoying what you write more than anything else.

Oh, and as an aside, readers of A Da Vinci Smile might recognise this little lady:

d67237a0_d501_11e3_ad56_068eb5990048.jpg

Not quite the body type I described, but the outfit looks right, don't you think?

I think he was replying to Beth Pavell. That or this thread just got somewhat strange.

...oh hey look character models! made these dicking around in Arvee earlier

nico.png

Nico

darwin.png

Darwin

schwarz.png

Schwarz

bart.png

Bart

atalanta.png

Atalanta

Love the little Avis! Anyone else picture real people though when they read fics with OC?

Just broke 1000 words in chapter 2 of Astrea. And I'm not even close to being done 8D

I didn't know "Burnard" was an actual name until I used it as a name for Nico's Sparkipillar (cuz geddit, Fire-type, "burn," lolololololol), got curious, and looked it up. The more you know!

It's good to be writing fanfiction again, and Astrea is real fun to work on! Hopefully people will like it :)

Last edited:
1000 words?

I ended up nearly clearing 9000 words in a chapter for the second time in my career last week, ending up at 8990. And then I scrapped it and decided to start the arc from scratch.

And I just found out that "Gela" was actually a real name today after writing a six-shot focused around a girl with that name. Thank you for making me question if fictional names could actually be real in strange twists of fate!

1000 words?

I ended up nearly clearing 9000 words in a chapter for the second time in my career last week, ending up at 8990. And then I scrapped it and decided to start the arc from scratch.
For fanfiction I tend to average 1000-3000 words per chapter. In my novel, it's closer to 4000-8000. I feel like that's a nice sweet spot between brevity and depth.

To me, 3000 is a nice concise chapter, from both a writing and reading perspective. I've only written chapters over 8k twice. The first time I wasn't terribly happy with it but posted anyway and the second time (when it got up into the 13k range) I just split it up. The sweet spot varies from person to person, but it's important when trying to maintain readers.

tits are an unalterable constant in Pokemon X

I hear they're looking into this for Gen 7.

Back
Top Bottom