• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I agree with @Flaze;. Beating Portugal will not be easy. Ronaldo, and his perfect hair, will be anxious to bounce back from the dreadful performance against Germany. They are wounded and dangerous. Losing Altidore and Besler is huge as well. I'm hopeful we can tie Portugal and hope Germany don't destroy us too badly.

I wish I was paying enough attention to the World Cup to know what was going on... All I know is that my brother's bracket is doing well. -_-

I'm must admit, I'm not terribly interested in World Cup this time since Denmark isn't participating this year. I did watch when one of Portugal's players got a red card yesterday before the end of the 1st half of the game, though.

Just bumped into an amusing situation. Despite my banging on in an Academy lesson about authors paying attention to the world around them, apparently my own thinking didn't extend this to listening to people speak. I can honestly say that I've never had to research accents from my own country before

I was wondering now how Mat Block would work in-universe, I mean, unless Greninja has the ability of pulling tatamis out of hammerspace I can't see a way to portray the move realistically, especially in the wild.

IT'S DONE! (my fanfic)

After nine years of continuously writing it, my story is finished. It's a massive monster with hundreds of chapters. I can't post it yet, because when I say "done", I really mean 50% done. The editing is what's going to kill me. Some character development goes all over the place, and I'm going to cut out some parts completely (year 2 of writing is the most cringe-worthy, I think, but that may only be because I have actually redone year 1). And year 9 draws so heavily from year 6 that I'm going to have to cut huge parts of what's in between.

But the basic overarching plot is somehow consistent, and it's done! My favorite parts are when I didn't realize at all that I was foreshadowing. Some random idea I ended up writing down when I was 14 came back when I was 20. I have emotions toward my characters. I have literally grown up alongside them, and for that reason I really feel like their priorities in each moment are reflective of what teenagers at that age are most worried about. Most noticeable with the 18-19 year old shock of "holy shit I need to actively work toward my future instead of assuming things will work out". "Saving the world" is not anywhere near the climax of the story (and I may heavily retcon the saving the world parts) and is instead the resolution of the conflict with the most compelling villain. Larger scale doesn't always equal more awesome.

Major obstacles to my editing:
-Rowan spiraled way off course and is not really recognizable in any way as the canon character (he doesn't even go to Sinnoh .-.). I feel like I should rename him, but I'm kind of attached to the name by this point.
-Back and forth stance on pokemon speech. In the end I decided that each pokemon species has its own language, so most trainers just don't learn the languages since there are so many, but I'll have to heavily change some sections
-The imperialism subtext between Kanto and Hoenn really balloons out of control quickly, and it's hard to believably keep a lid on it
-In hindsight, Team Magma are almost like triple agents, and it's way more confusing than compelling.
-The length. Holy shit, the length.

I'm convinced there is an epic story that I can pull out of this mess, and you may all see it someday.

EDIT: I'm looking through some of the older chapters and am lol'ing at all of the random obvious hints I threw in for possible plotlinse in Hoenn that never materialized. I could have definitely gone in some lame directions (e.g. a Trainer Hill kidnapping conspiracy lmao)

Last edited:
^Nice work! I'm excited to read it. You could always post it now, and get readers' feedback to help you revise it.

^Nice work! I'm excited to read it. You could always post it now, and get readers' feedback to help you revise it.

I'm going to redo the sections from when I was 13-15, and then probably post it after that. Because those just make me cringe right now lol

I would seriously consider updating that serially here if you want feedback. While there may be people willing to read a story that long at once, there probably won't be terribly many. If you update at a rate of one chapter a week or every few days or two weeks (depending on how long your chapters are), you're more likely to get people willing to read that much at a time and give feedback. Reading conventions are a little different on the internet than for published novels, which are almost universally written to be read more or less in a compact period of time.

I definitely agree with the above statement @Karpi, especially on here; most stories which are bulk written or are over too quickly will be ignored and fade into obscurity, and I know from experience that long texts are basically written off before anyone gives them a chance. I also think if you want feedback it is best to get it in chunks as it would be easier for people to review.

I definitely agree with the above statement @Karpi, especially on here; most stories which are bulk written or are over too quickly will be ignored and fade into obscurity, and I know from experience that long texts are basically written off before anyone gives them a chance. I also think if you want feedback it is best to get it in chunks as it would be easier for people to review.

I'd have to agree with this statement; the two short stories I've posted here have gotten a total of one comment. It'd probably be better to post in chunks. Not only does it attract a larger audience, but it adds more recurring fans and adds suspense!

So I had a story idea, a plot bunny because I wanted to get back into fanfiction and I'm curious what people think. Is it okay to share it here?

Back
Top Bottom