• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Soccer is a really fun sport, it isn't so easy either, like Legacy said you need grace and speed but...a lot more actually, even pro players still lack a lot in regards to all of the aspects that soccer can cover. But it can be pretty fun to watch or nerve wracking depending. I myself aren't good at it, but I enjoy watching the matches from time to time xD

Football is more barbaric and gladiatorial, which Americans love. It's an amazing display of athleticism, especially in the passing game.

I think this is a reason I love it as well, actually. I just see a lot of amazing athleticism in it and all! Though, I'm not sure why it was ever called football since the players use their hands more than their feet (even though they still use their feet for kickoffs and field goals). But we're used to calling it that, so I guess there's no point in changing it now. It'd just be weird. :p

Also, I've finished the next chapter for Zelda: The Ancient Power! I just gotta hand it off to my co-author as soon as he finishes with that FE: Dawn of Darkness chapter. ^^

According to Wikipedia:

In the United States, American football is referred to as "football".[2] The term "football" was officially established in the rulebook for the 1876 college football season, when the sport first shifted from soccer-style rules to rugby-style rules; although it could easily have been called "rugby" at this point, Harvard, one of the primary proponents of the rugby-style game, compromised and did not request the name of the sport be changed to "rugby".[3] In countries where other codes of football are popular, such as the United Kingdom and Australia, the terms "gridiron" or "American football" are favored.[4][5]
So, at one point it was more closely related to soccer before it shifted to something similar to rugby, before moving on to its distinct rules. Hence why we still call it football. Another reason for partially calling it football is that the overall qualifier of a sport being called football is kicking the ball into a goal zone, which I guess you could call the play after a touchdown. Then again, that's only a fraction of the sport, so I don't know if that's a good reason.

According to Wikipedia:

In the United States, American football is referred to as "football".[2] The term "football" was officially established in the rulebook for the 1876 college football season, when the sport first shifted from soccer-style rules to rugby-style rules; although it could easily have been called "rugby" at this point, Harvard, one of the primary proponents of the rugby-style game, compromised and did not request the name of the sport be changed to "rugby".[3] In countries where other codes of football are popular, such as the United Kingdom and Australia, the terms "gridiron" or "American football" are favored.[4][5]
So, at one point it was more closely related to soccer before it shifted to something similar to rugby, before moving on to its distinct rules. Hence why we still call it football. Another reason for partially calling it football is that the overall qualifier of a sport being called football is kicking the ball into a goal zone, which I guess you could call the play after a touchdown. Then again, that's only a fraction of the sport, so I don't know if that's a good reason.

Oh, I see. That's interesting. :eek:

Uh, what does archery have to do with soccer, exactly? o_O

40 pound draw weight on mine :D And just because I don't often have an excuse to show off:

10245566_679679185434212_1614479303705256027_n.jpg

The last batch of arrows I made. Amazingly I haven't managed to break any yet

I once made a bow out of a coat hanger, and two arrows out of another coat hanger. You can imagine how well it performed.

I had a toy bow as a kid once. Of course, I was terrible at shooting it. lol

I did go to a real archery range once too, but the bow was so big that I could barely handle it, so I sucked there too. That thing was taller than me! XD

My dad's a bowhunter so I grew up shooting a compound. I know, I know, I can smell your elitism from here ;) Unfortunately I'm right handed and left eyed so I've never been great at it.

Anybody else go see Edge of Tomorrow? That was a great movie. I highly recommend it.

I saw it last week, really enjoyed it. Its a pity that it is not getting a lot of attention monetary wise - I thought it was a much better movie than X:Men which currently holds the crown for highest grossing movie of 2014. Them damn comic books.

/doesn't arch (is there a verb form of to archery that isn't to shoot?)

I thought Edge of Tomorrow had a interesting/potentially awful premise (Groundhog's Day with explosions everywhere), but the middle bits were pretty entertaining. Some parts weren't followed up on
such as "you get visions of the omega when it's right about to find you!"/enter singular vision and no omega finding you
, and the ending was kind of eh to me, but I thought overall it was quite good.

Regarding X-Men,
was it really too much to just go back a few years earlier and kill baby Trask before the Sentinnel idea was even conceived?

I agree that EoT wasnt perfect, but it was pretty damn good, and really most movies/books/tv shows/anything fictional usually leaves at least one thing out :p The very end wasn't the best, but I enjoyed the ride.

With XMen, it was just... meh. It wasn't as action packed as people would have you believe, they went and made the franchises stupid timeline even worse in terms of consistency, and they had quite a few plotlines left open as well (did they ever really give a reason why Trask wanted to kill the mutants?) I think CA2 was the best blockbuster of the year so far, and I'd put both EoT and Godzilla ahead of X:Men.

Finally, I have returned.

I got logged out of this place and several other forums, and unfortunately, this account is linked to my Yahoo email, which I never use anymore, and I didn't have the password to. Finally got all that sorted out.

Welcome back.

For the Americans here, anyone doing anything cool for Independence Day? For the Britons here, anyone doing anything to celebrate your freedom from an oppressive, corrupt, and economically unsustainable nation?

It was a joke. Please don't kill me or anyone else.

Shooting off illegal fireworks and getting my tan on while camping! Boom! Mericka!

For the Americans here, anyone doing anything cool for Independence Day? For the Britons here, anyone doing anything to celebrate your freedom from an oppressive, corrupt, and economically unsustainable nation?

You forgot to mention the pride that will be the death of us.

Anyways, I'll be doing what most stereotypical Americans do: eat junk food and sit on my couch. Tis the season!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom