• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

Thanks for the welcome xD I just hope i can fit in amongst you writers :3
Writers and readers. Not all of us have that writer's gene.

Anywho, howdy, I'm still sorta around. Sorry for my absence, but my computer didn't like connecting to my internet, but I got a new laptop for Christmas so I should be here more. now to catch up on all of my reading, and read for the awards...

So how is everyone's writing coming along? I'm up to about 1,000 words on Chapter Seventeen, and wondering whether I can get away with another cheap laugh

One of my stories just hit 1,000,000 characters (no spaces) a few days ago. I guess that's a good thing?

89 words into chapter 4 of PT and 580 words into the chapter of another project.

>_>

I've done a good amount of reading this week, to be fair.

Haven't made any progress on my writing this year. I was planning to take it slow since this is my first fictional writing anyway, but still. To be fair, I did help someone move in yesterday and that kind of wiped me out.

On the plus side of resolutions, I talked to a guy at a supermarket literally around the corner from my house about a part-time job wrapping meat. Supposed to go back Monday, so hopefully they'll hire me and I'll be one resolution down already! :)

I'm about halfway through touching up Chapter 2 of Unpredictable, and I got a burst of inspiration on how to begin Chapter 45, so I'm about 400 words in to that. It's the chapter that a lot of people have been waiting for in a way, so I want to make sure to do it right. So far so good I suppose.

But more importantly, I'm two fifths through Galactic!

I'm about halfway through touching up Chapter 2 of Unpredictable, and I got a burst of inspiration on how to begin Chapter 45, so I'm about 400 words in to that. It's the chapter that a lot of people have been waiting for in a way, so I want to make sure to do it right. So far so good I suppose.

But more importantly, I'm two fifths through Galactic!

I thought you had read it before?

I am working on 8ES, trying to get a number of chapters written since the next few are reasonably short and chat-based and then want to get a new TFW done (finally!!!)

After I read Galactic last time (in parts, for the awards) I decided I wanted to read the whole thing if I got a chance and now's my chance.

Ah ok, fair enough. You may be one of about a dozen people ever to actually do so, so it will be interesting to see what you think, especially as I plan on rewriting significant portions of it when I get the chance.

I've done actually a ton of planning for mine :D Im at around Chapter 80ish in planning and event wise but they're only about halfway through on their journey by that point because I managed to somehow drag on the longest gap between the first gym and second gym :XD: But Chapter 3 has 774 words right now and is nowhere near completion.
I really like how well I Ive been developing the story line for the evil team too, as I read up on some other threads on Cliches that some of the readers here don't like or would like to atleast see improved upon. And the gym leaders and elite four were a nice change to things for sure since I loved planning out storylines for each of them :crush:

Also when writing for the past hour, I've been listening to this amazing cover and I just love it and can see my characters running all over Accelia because this cover is so amazing :bounce::awww::crush:

Anyone have any stories to recommend reading on here too? I have some time tomorrow as its my last day before returning from Winter Break.

[video=youtube;JooUddoNQu8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JooUddoNQu8[/video]

Anyone have any stories to recommend reading on here too? I have some time tomorrow as its my last day before returning from Winter Break.

I can't recommend much myself other than making shameless self-promotion, but I would say The Long Walk would be a pretty good read.

Though I can't say much because I still haven't even read Chapter 6

why am I so bad at reading

i swear i'll finish reading it someday

I am through the parts of Galactic where the chapters are short enough to fit into single posts. I hope to be through all of it by the end of the month, but we'll see how that goes.

@Pokeplumbob: No worries about fitting in with the writers, you've already done a lot more writing than I have!

And I've only skimmed a couple of of fics during the awards, but there are so many fics it's pretty intimidating to start looking at them. Plus I'm still trying to get back in the loop after taking a break for a few generations >_<

There are so many stories here it's hard where to start, but I can try to recommend you some good ones. If you like journey fics, then The Long Walk is a good place to start. How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps is also very good (and long) so if you want to read something without finishing soon I'd suggest that. I would also recommend Unpredictable, but I think the author is doing some touch-ups on the story, so you may want to wait to read that. Still a great read, nonetheless. If you like fantasy/very original fics, Vaira: The Legacy of Cyrus is probably a cup of tea you'll like. Love and Other Nightmares is also quite good, so just another suggestion there.

If you like dark fics then I'd recommend some rise by sin, Survival Project, and well, those are the only dark fics I've read on this site but they're both good. I assume that Galactic is also very good, but I've yet to read it.

If academy fics are your thing, then I'd tell you to read Second Year Rhapsody. It's an original setting like yours, so that might be something you'd like. Storm Island (while not an academy fic) is also set in its own region, so I'm sure that'd be worth checking out. I have unfortunately not read either of those, but I've heard good things and they're both up for the awards.

If you like non-pokemon/crossover fics then the author Kelleo has a few you might like. There's also two others listed in the awards, one of which being a completely original fiction.

And that's it. Those are most of all the stories I know and can recommend to you.

Last edited:
I keep hearing of a Long Walk and Storm Island and Galactic so I think I'll try those ^_^
It's like going on Hulu or Netflix and trying to decided which anime watch next xD

I have plenty of suggestions, it just depends what kinds of stories you're interested in.

For a Journey fic, depends the time you have. If you have plenty of time, go for How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps(and the rest of the GalacticVerse, but that takes forever). For a shorter one, go for The Long Walk, or middle and do Unpredictable. Flames of a Revolutionary is also good. And Heart of Crystal. And Champion Game,

Non-Pokemon fics, I recommend The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Power. Also a longer one, but god if you like Zelda. I haven't read many others but most of them are good. Striking Back: Memoirs of a Clone is also one that I have heard plenty of god things about.

For a not quite journey, go for Pokemon Academy. I do suggesting reading the first before the second though, otherwise it can get confusing.

Fr a unconventional fic, go for Live by the Fireside, it is a good one that you can read bits a pieces here and there and not get behind. Different Eyes is an amazing one, it still sticks with me after having read it a few years ago. Wind and Rain is also a good one, but it is quite different, so be prepared. One that I really like but not many people have heard about is Gotta Steal Them All. One of my favorite fics of all time.

So yeah, brain dump for stories. All of those are excellent choices. If you want more I suggest looking through the old awards winners and going from there, most of those stories won one at some point in time.

I don't want to sound like I'm promoting my own fics despite them having been mentioned just now (thanks, guys! ^^), but my non-Pokemon stuff DID win awards! Fire Emblem: Dawn of Darkness and Zelda: The Ancient Power both got best crossover/non-Pokemon fic and Super Luigi has gotten fic of the month. :)

So how is everyone's writing coming along? I'm up to about 1,000 words on Chapter Seventeen, and wondering whether I can get away with another cheap laugh

Dishearteningly slowly.

I keep thinking I know where I want the next chapter to go and what I want to show before I write it, I feel like I've researched and prepared, but somehow the words will not get onto the page.

It's supposed to be a shorter transition piece, where I could explore the character(s) a little and let a little backstory show between more "plot significant" portions of the story. On the one hand, I feel like I'm forcing it, that maybe just plowing on ahead would work better, but on the other, I feel like I need to let the story "take a breather" for a minute and "relax", similarly to how the main character is at this point in the story, and that leaving out that moment would be doing the story a disservice.

Blergh

*sigh*

Obligatory "I have a blog where I review fan fics and give suggestions" post. Link in my sig. Joining the horde of megaphones yelling at you that The Long Walk is probably the best journey currently updating. Dawn of Darkness is very good as an expansion story, Storm Island is good for an original region story, and The Green Chronicles is stylistically nice horror/dystopian. But checking out awards nominees isn't a bad idea. While they hinge to some extent on popularity more than quality, most are pretty good.

Last edited:
I keep hearing of a Long Walk and Storm Island and Galactic so I think I'll try those ^_^
It's like going on Hulu or Netflix and trying to decided which anime watch next xD

Self promotion time because screw all of you guy!

You should totally check out my fic Pokemon Academy Year II: Second Year Rhapsody, it's totally cool and awesome and you really don't need to read the first one I swear. Plus it's ending and you get a free washing machine if you read it.

Nah but seriously there's a lot of great fics in the workshop xD what the guy above me didn' tell you is that his own fic is quite a great journey fic of its own ;P you should totally check that one out since it doesn't have too many chapters and it's a story that's really out there.

Also to anyone that likes anime and wants to find something to watch I'll be uploading a blog today with my Top 11 anime of 2014! why 11? because I don't 10 like all those copycats.

Back
Top Bottom