• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Writers' Workshop General Chat Thread

I've always found action interesting to write.

I find, at least for me, that pacing the action is particularly crucial. I want to strike a good balance between keeping the momentum of the story going, keeping it quick and intense, without glossing over important details or abandoning the intended aesthetic. For reference material, I like to look to action scenes from films/TV series, and see that when they present action, you can't always follow every single blow and action, but occasionally, the filmmakers will slow it down and bring special attention to something important, so I do similar things when writing. I keep the action running quickly, give the general feel of it, and take time to draw attention to important specifics.

How to do it is sometimes tricky, but when it's a fast moment, I try to keep the amount of words I use to a minimum. One of the things I do to help keep the few words I use interesting is to use descriptive verbs a lot, as opposed to taking time to describe an action. When it works, it gives the feel of the moment I want, without being bogged down in descriptors.

For Pokemon especially, handling the mon-on-mon battles takes something. For a fandom that knows how a sanctioned battle is supposed to go, keeping it interesting really boils down to a combination of character reaction, and true tactical implementation. Getting these two to work with each other and compliment one another for the story without seeming either bland or gimmicky is a particular challenge.

On a side not, I don't mean to seem like a nag, but it has been nearly a full month since I posted in The Review Game, for a story that typically gets a single one-liner response or less per update. (Seriously, a month)

Last edited:
I've always found action interesting to write.

I find, at least for me, that pacing the action is particularly crucial. I want to strike a good balance between keeping the momentum of the story going, keeping it quick and intense, without glossing over important details or abandoning the intended aesthetic. For reference material, I like to look to action scenes from films/TV series, and see that when they present action, you can't always follow every single blow and action, but occasionally, the filmmakers will slow it down and bring special attention to something important, so I do similar things when writing. I keep the action running quickly, give the general feel of it, and take time to draw attention to important specifics.

How to do it is sometimes tricky, but when it's a fast moment, I try to keep the amount of words I use to a minimum. One of the things I do to help keep the few words I use interesting is to use descriptive verbs a lot, as opposed to taking time to describe an action. When it works, it gives the feel of the moment I want, without being bogged down in descriptors.

For Pokemon especially, handling the mon-on-mon battles takes something. For a fandom that knows how a sanctioned battle is supposed to go, keeping it interesting really boils down to a combination of character reaction, and true tactical implementation. Getting these two to work with each other and compliment one another for the story without seeming either bland or gimmicky is a particular challenge.

On a side not, I don't mean to seem like a nag, but it has been nearly a full month since I posted in The Review Game, for a story that typically gets a single one-liner response or less per update. (Seriously, a month)

Since you had replied to me I hadn't wanted to hog the game. :C But I'll get to your fic after Vaira and a couple others, so remind me if I take a while

Reading a lot of manga must help with action scenes, no, Flaze? :p

and damn, the review game. reminds me how bad i am at not giving a review to all the things ive read. i owe reviews to many people. v.v

I always have trouble finding what to say too. :p This is probably why I sometimes have trouble putting my ideas into words in writing as well.

I also need to go do some writing, I've been too occupied with being hyped for the new FIRE EMBLEM GAME!! :D You don't know how pleasantly shocked I was to see it as the opening announcement on the Nintendo Direct today. *Rainbow Dash voice*Omigosh, omigiosh, omigosh, OMIGOSH!*end Rainbow Dash voice*

I'm horrid at leaving reviews because I never know what to say.

I think it's an evolving process that pretty closely mirrors your evolution as a writer. If a fic or story very clearly outclasses my own abilities, I usually find it hard to do much but offer gushing praise. As a writer, this is nice. It's not quite con-crit nice but it's better than flaming or, worst of all, another silent view. So... maybe start reading fics you believe to be just slightly below your skill level? That's where I realized that I did, indeed, have things to say because I recognized the errors of the story as actual errors but I could still appreciate things the author did well, or even better than I could. Then you start to get practice with the whole reviewing thing and can apply it to better and better stories until you can review almost anything comfortably and in perspective.

A lot of you clearly have not been looking at the Writer's Academy for help with your problems. First action scene worries and now reviews: the answers to all your problems can be found there if you just look ;) And indeed, those threads would be the perfect place to discuss your worries

A lot of you clearly have not been looking at the Writer's Academy for help with your problems. First action scene worries and now reviews: the answers to all your problems can be found there if you just look ;) And indeed, those threads would be the perfect place to discuss your worries
To be honest, I had forgotten they existed since it's been forever since we got a new article. Or maybe I forgot because I have the memory of a frog.

It has been ages since the last one because no one has offered to write one for us :p However, that doesn't mean the articles have magically disappeared, and I hope that many of our new members would look to these as well (if you had read the Welcome Hub/Rulebook when arriving, you should know about this ;) )

Give me a topic you guys think I do well in. I can't give you a solid date, but I can try to write one. :p

I think that with two entries in Best Expansion this time around, one of which is finished and the other with an MIA author, it would be a nice time for one on writing canon characters or backstories so that we hopefully have entries for that category next time around. That would be nice.

I once thought of writing a fanfic about Drayden but considering how I still haven't done much with my current project... Yeah.

I think that with two entries in Best Expansion this time around, one of which is finished and the other with an MIA author, it would be a nice time for one on writing canon characters or backstories so that we hopefully have entries for that category next time around. That would be nice.

Considering my signature fanfic is just that, that might just work. Thanks!

Considering at this point I find the idea of writing for a canon character quite frightening, that might be nice!

Admittedly, a lot of that is because I'm behind on pokemon media so I'm not sure of a lot of character's personalities anyway, but even if I did I worry about messing it up and "ruining" the character's representation >_>

I was wondering after talking to a friend of mine does anyone have problems reading long CH's on a screen (phone/laptop/tablet)? I know my CH's aren't that long but I have a heard time reading mine without my eyes getting tired...and just thinking about reading longer CH's like when I try to read other fics I just have a hell of a time reading them.

Back
Top Bottom